Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,536 of 6,129
Got my short Fiio copper plated silver cable, and a pair of MMCX to 2 pin adaptors to make the Fiio cable fit the BL03.

Couldn't find a short 2 pin cable, but this will work fine. I also have a Brainwavz B200 coming that I'll be using this same cable and ES100 with as well.

Not quite as convenient as the true wireless Galaxy Buds, but this definitely sounds better.

IMG_20200212_132739__01.jpg

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,538 of 6,129
with what source / DAC are you combining yours for reference ?

Radsone ES100 (2x balanced mode), upgrade cable, AZLA SednaEarFit Light tips

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #2,539 of 6,129
Got my short Fiio copper plated silver cable, and a pair of MMCX to 2 pin adaptors to make the Fiio cable fit the BL03.

Couldn't find a short 2 pin cable, but this will work fine. I also have a Brainwavz B200 coming that I'll be using this same cable and ES100 with as well.

Not quite as convenient as the true wireless Galaxy Buds, but this definitely sounds better.

I Like to keep Fiio btr5 in my pocket

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,540 of 6,129
I'm agreeing with those using the BTR5 with a 2.5 balanced cable. $16 for the Tripowin Zonie I'm using. Foams until I find better.
I watched the world float to the dark side of the moon.
The soundstage is wide.
I ain't blind and I don't think I like the things I see.
Instruments distinct.
I coming up only to hold you under. .. .. props to Danny
Bass can hit.
From the deep sea of Clouds to the islands of the moon.
No chance I'd give these up.
I've got 2 more sets coming for gifts.

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,542 of 6,129
Attn Cardinal owners:

I know some of you have the metal filters in the end of the nozzle, and that it has been reported that the sound improves by removing the filters.

Well, I'm here to tell you to be VERY careful if you do so.

The metal filters are only held in by weak glue. I was able to easily pry off one filter with just my fingernail. One down, one to go.

Well, when I went to pop off the other filter with my fingernail, the metal filter popped out along with 1/2 of the nozzle snapping off and breaking into tiny pieces:

1.jpg

The resin nozzle is PAPER thin in that area, due to the lip for the eartip. Resin isn't exactly the strongest material, and can be quite brittle. It's not much harder than hard candy (such as a lollipop).

This is totally depressing, because the Cardinal is long discontinued.

I am currently working on repairing the nozzle where it's broken (which is going to be a PITA), but it could have been easily avoided in the 1st place.

Therefore, if you have the Cardinals I recommend the following:
  • If your Cardinals have the metal nozzle filters stock, resist the temptation to remove the filters. The promise of better sound is not worth destroying them. The metal nozzles do provide some reinforcement of the nozzle area, so this is another reason to keep them.
  • If your Cardinals do NOT have the metal filters stock, be extremely careful with the ends of the nozzle. This is especially true when installing or removing eartips.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,543 of 6,129
Attn Cardinal owners:

I know some of you have the metal filters in the end of the nozzle, and that it has been reported that the sound improves by removing the filters.

Well, I'm here to tell you to be VERY careful if you do so. The metal filters are only held in by weak glue. I was able to easily pop off 1 filter off with just my fingernail. The other side was a bit more stubborn, and required a little extra prying with my fingernail. Well, the metal filter finally popped out, along with 1/2 of the nozzle snapping off:

1.jpg

The resin nozzle is PAPER thin in that area, due to the lip for the eartip. Resin isn't exactly the strongest material, and can be quite brittle.

This is totally depressing, because the Cardinal is long discontinued.

I am currently working on repairing the nozzle where it's broken (which is going to be a PITA), but it could have been easily avoided in the 1st place.

Therefore, if you have the Cardinals I recommend the following:
  • If your Cardinals have the metal nozzle filters stock, resist the temptation to remove the filters. The promise of better sound is not worth destroying them. The metal nozzles do provide some reinforcement of the nozzle area, so this is another reason to keep them.
  • If your Cardinals do NOT have the metal filters stock, be extremely careful with the ends of the nozzle. This is especially true when installing or removing eartips.

Thanks for the headsup man. A real bummer it got damaged. Did u manage to hear and compare it with the BLON BL-03 before u tried to remove the nozzle?

My set didn't come with a stock metal filter, I added one myself as per your previous pro tip to prevent debris from entering in. Wow, I'm actually surprised the resin nozzle could break with just a fingernail.

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,544 of 6,129
Thanks for the headsup man. A real bummer it got damaged. Did u manage to hear and compare it with the BLON BL-03 before u tried to remove the nozzle?

My set didn't come with a stock metal filter, I added one myself as per your previous pro tip to prevent debris from entering in. Wow, I'm actually surprised the resin nozzle could break with just a fingernail.

So the filters in some of the Cardinals are not the same as the nozzle mesh seen on most headphones.

On most earphones, there is a 'nozzle filter' which is a thin piece of stainless steel mesh (ie a flexible metal fabric). It peels off of a sheet and sticks onto the end of the nozzle to keep earwax and other debris out, like this:
cardinal nozzle 4.jpg
Dust-Network-1.jpg
Dust-Network-2.jpg

The Cardinals do not have that type of 'metal filter'.

Instead, they have a rigid machined metal flange/tube that is glued into the end of the nozzle. The metal flange/tube slides down into the end of the resin nozzle, and is held in place with a bit of glue.

It basically looks like this:
841flange.jpg

Here is the actual flange removed from a Cardinal, which you can see it is quite different/unique from the peel-and-stick stainless mesh type:
20191220_173203.jpg
20191220_173219.jpg

You can see it installed into the Cardinal in the below photos:
cardinal nozzle 1.jpg
cardinal nozzle 2.jpg
cardinal nozzle 3.jpg

It is this metal flange/tube part that some Cardinal owners remove for better sound. In fact, many Cardinals don't even have this metal flange at all! In other words, Blon was only putting the metal flange/tube on some Cardinals (for some unknown reason).

Here are examples of totally stock Cardinals that didn't even come with the metal flange/tube:
Blon-Cardinal.jpg
Blon-Cardinal3.jpg
UYQIc0q.jpg

Anyways, it is this metal flange/tube that I tried to remove and is what broke my nozzle :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #2,545 of 6,129
So I got the Cardinals all fixed.

I was able to rebuild the missing and broken portion of the nozzle using UV resin. It's not a perfect repair, but at least it's fixed and I can finally use the Cardinals.

Before:
repaired 3.jpg

After:
repaired 2.jpg
repaired 1.jpg

I also used the opportunity to open up the center hole in the metal flange:
4.jpg

This should give the same effect as the people who were removing the metal flange for better sound.

I believe that the reason why removing the flange improved the sound is that the hole in the stock metal flange is very small and restrictive (similar to narrow bore tips). You can see an example of this in the 'Before' photo below.

When the metal flange is removed, the bare resin nozzle becomes larger (similar to using wide bore eartips). By drilling the hole in the metal flange larger, I was able to get the same effect as removing it, but I am able to retain the benefit of having the extra strength of the metal reinforcement in the end of the weak resin nozzle. The best of both worlds!

Before:
cardinal nozzle 2.jpg

After:
3.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #2,547 of 6,129

Killer Rig!! Love it.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,548 of 6,129
Now I know who to send my stuff to when it breaks

I get a lot of practice :)

A significant portion of my audio gear was obtained at a deep discount, as I buy a lot of broken/defective/damaged headphones and repair/rebuild them. It's a good way to get a lot of repair experience, and I've also helped a few HeadFiers salvage otherwise toasted gear.

For example, my most recent acquisition will be rebuilding/upgrading these $400 A5 Pro that I paid $27 for.
s-l1600.jpg
A good cleaning and adjustment, sheepskin pads, new drivers, and an upgraded cable, and they'll be better than brand new again!

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #2,549 of 6,129
So I had ordered a Brainwavz B200 before I had ordered the BL03, and the B200 came in today. For my tastes the BL03 blow the B200 out of the water. I really thought I was going to like the B200. To me the B200 sound too warm, mid-bassy, and otherwise boring. The BL03 do everything better.

Listening to the BL03 right now and it just sounds so good. With a tiny cut in the mid-bass these really are perfect for my tastes. Everything is just done so well, and I find the treble to sparkle and shimmer like I like as well. One thing I really enjoy is sparkle and shimmer and these do that well.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #2,550 of 6,129
So I had ordered a Brainwavz B200 before I had ordered the BL03, and the B200 came in today. For my tastes the BL03 blow the B200 out of the water. I really thought I was going to like the B200. To me the B200 sound too warm, mid-bassy, and otherwise boring. The BL03 do everything better.

Listening to the BL03 right now and it just sounds so good. With a tiny cut in the mid-bass these really are perfect for my tastes. Everything is just done so well, and I find the treble to sparkle and shimmer like I like as well. One thing I really enjoy is sparkle and shimmer and these do that well.
you ready for the upgrade - Urbanblob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back