Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,567 of 6,129
Can anyone make a graph with the BL03 frequency response plotted on top of the IE Harman target? I'm wondering how close it is.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #2,568 of 6,129
I am not quite sure of the terminology to use; so please bear with me.

We all know that the hosel / bore is pretty short on the BL-03. So I dismantled an old Shure Foamie tip, and used the center plastic as a hosel extender. Then put my trusty JVC tips over the extender. Before I went through that I was using some Comply foamies that were on the wide side and were able to do an acceptable job But with the foamie plastic extender I am getting much better sound. If there is any complaint it would be there is almost too much bass; which I was not expecting. Anyway this is a very pleasing setup

I am feeding all of this with a set of 4.4 balanced cables to a HiBy R3. The R3 oozes power which does help with the BLON.

Short conclusion; this is a very satisfying sound on a fairly small budget.

What are most people finding as the next step up? Tin HiFi (three models seem to fit) ?

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2,569 of 6,129
I am not quite sure of the terminology to use; so please bear with me.

We all know that the hosel / bore is pretty short on the BL-03. So I dismantled an old Shure Foamie tip, and used the center plastic as a hosel extender. Then put my trusty JVC tips over the extender. Before I went through that I was using some Comply foamies that were on the wide side and were able to do an acceptable job But with the foamie plastic extender I am getting much better sound. If there is any complaint it would be there is almost too much bass; which I was not expecting. Anyway this is a very pleasing setup

I am feeding all of this with a set of 4.4 balanced cables to a HiBy R3. The R3 oozes power which does help with the BLON.

Short conclusion; this is a very satisfying sound on a fairly small budget.

What are most people finding as the next step up? Tin HiFi (three models seem to fit) ?

Nice job!

I did a similar nozzle lengthening mod here, although it was primarily intended to fix the fitment issues people were having: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/page-89#post-15322543

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,570 of 6,129

If u wanna keep a similar tuning but with improvements in technicalities, isolation and fit (and no need to mess around with non stock tips/cables), check out the Blon Cardinal/Bluejay or KBear Diamond.

The Cardinals are no longer sold but they are slightly bassier but with better soundstage and slightly improved technicalities. Imaging and timbre is same between the Cardinal and BL-03.

Kbear Diamond is an improvement over both of the above BLONs in every department except soundstage. Timbre and tonality is improved too.

Good luck in your search!

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,572 of 6,129
Oh Boy I am really kinda worred about Penon Audio now.. Ordered tips from them several days ago. Not shipped and there hasn't been response to my questions for almost two weeks!!! Anybody have any clues as to the current scene in downtown Shenzhen?
Not great for obvious reasons. Think it was Dsnuts posting regular updates over in the discovery thread.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,575 of 6,129
What is the reference for that thread, please? I don't know it...

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Penon is 100% legit and reliable, and he doesn’t need to be hounded right now.

The Chinese government keeps extending the Chinese New Year holiday in an effort to slow the spread of the virus. They don’t want people at work. Many places are literally ghost towns.

I assure you that the eartips will arrive when they arrive, probably in 30-60 days.

In the grand scheme of things, a set of eartips or any ChiFi audio gear is completely unimportant when there’s people dying, mass pandemonium, strict military control, etc.

I myself have ordered a few things from Aliexpress in the last few weeks, and I could care less when they show up, when they are shipped, if they have even shipped at all, etc. Even if the stuff shows up in June, I’m OK with it if the delays help less people get sick or worse.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,576 of 6,129
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Penon is 100% legit and reliable, and he doesn’t need to be hounded right now.

The Chinese government keeps extending the Chinese New Year holiday in an effort to slow the spread of the virus. They don’t want people at work. Many places are literally ghost towns.

I assure you that the eartips will arrive when they arrive, probably in 30-60 days.

In the grand scheme of things, a set of eartips or any ChiFi audio gear is completely unimportant when there’s people dying, mass pandemonium, strict military control, etc.

I myself have ordered a few things from Aliexpress in the last few weeks, and I could care less when they show up, when they are shipped, if they have even shipped at all, etc. Even if the stuff shows up in June, I’m OK with it if it means less people get sick or worse.
I think that should be "many places resemble ghost towns". (insert smiley)

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,577 of 6,129

I myself have ordered a few things from Aliexpress in the last few weeks, and I could care less when they show up, when they are shipped, if they have even shipped at all, etc. Even if the stuff shows up in June, I’m OK with it if it means less people get sick or worse.
I completely agree with you. Stay safe people

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,578 of 6,129
They have slowly started to return to work this monday, so.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #2,579 of 6,129

I don't recognize BGGA at first. Then I realized it was Bad Boy. I have mixed experience with his picks. He loved the HiBy R3 which I found disappointing. And hated the Cayin N5II which I thinks sound terrific though the UI and feature list are weak to say the least.

Weird that the Tin HiFi has the model 2 ranked higher than the 4. Most reviews seem to go the other way. But he likes the BLON 03 a lot; rated A!

I am not normally a tip roller etc. but with the 03 that can be quite rewarding.

I would agree that my ibasso IT-01 is lower down than the BLON. Wonder where my current favorite pair would fall in the rankings (FLC 8D with gunmetal).
I have developed a renewed appreciation for the LZ A2 lately also. The Carbo Tenores don't have removal cables but they still sound good in my view.

My guilty pleasure would be Apple airpods pro. The sound is agreeable and the convenience factor is a real plus. Course you need an iphone as an accessory to really get value from those.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,580 of 6,129
Any news on BL-05 release? I though it was scheduled for early march 2020 but Blon went quiet. Must be the bloody virus slowing things down to a halt in big part of China... :frowning2:

Scheduled for march, but due to the situation in china, it’ll be out in april from what i was informed by their rep on monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back