Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #391 of 6,129
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #392 of 6,129
Even though the VE BIE is a few dollars cheaper, I skipped on it after learning it had the usual CHIFI elevated treble ...V shaped tuning of the BIE.
Actually, treble is quite nice and pretty similar to BL-03 and my graphs show it too (that small treble spike is nothing to worry, at least for my ears) ...BUT that mid-bass totally ruins coherency and bleeds all over. Also driver seems like casual material made and slowish. Imaging and resolution is mediocre.
Really, for me this hype train is mystery WHY?
BIE needs more power and vol level also than KPE and BL-03... highs become slightly better at louder volume but darn that mid-bass is all-over the place :frowning2:
And then there is that driver flex (left side on my pair).

To those who are thinking between two - DO NOT THINK and get BL-03! .

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #393 of 6,129
Got my pair of BL-03 in today... first comment is--

JEEZ, how is it possible to get this level of sound for sub $40? Just nuts. Changed the cable right away, and went through some of my favorite tips. Fit is a tad tricky for me since they sit so shallow, but it's workable. SQ is just off the charts for cost.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #394 of 6,129
Got my pair of BL-03 in today... first comment is--

JEEZ, how is it possible to get this level of sound for sub $40? Just nuts. Changed the cable right away, and went through some of my favorite tips. Fit is a tad tricky for me since they sit so shallow, but it's workable. SQ is just off the charts for cost.
it makes me smile when i open a thread for earphone that i really like and after that bunch of people also like

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #395 of 6,129
(Mass)Drop. Had a voucher for $20, so I thought getting the Blon for $13 was too good to pass, even though I'm aware they will most likely not see much play time.

$13 USD is a great steal. I doubt aliexpress on 11/11 will have that pricing even with coupon gymnastics. (I just saw some shops on AE listing it @ $25 USD pricing for the 11/11 sale).

Like u, I got the BLON to see what's the hype all about and was also thinking it would soon be relegated to my the storeroom as I have more expensive IEMs in my stable. The BLON BL-03 made me give away my **** and KZ ZS10 Pro within 2 days of usage. And I'm using the BLON more often than my TFZ No. 3 for the past month for general music listening. Sure, there are other IEMs with better technicalities, but I just keep going back to listen to the BLONs for it's great natural coherency and tonality. It doesn't particularly excel at one area (other than timbre/tonality) but it does most areas well and packages it into a nice lush music presentation.
For those that are of the older generation, I'm sure you guys will understand what a vinyl recording sounds like and the BLON really imitates the analogue sound signature of vinyl recordings. It's a very refreshing tuning compared to the dime a dozen V shaped steroid juiced up multi BA/hybrid CHIFI sets that give lots of details but at the expense of "musicality".
I'm sure some folks will still prefer multi BA/hybrids for their better instrument separation and details, but the BLONs are an eyeopener. YMMV.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #396 of 6,129
$13 USD is a great steal. I doubt aliexpress on 11/11 will have that pricing even with coupon gymnastics. (I just saw some shops on AE listing it @ $25 USD pricing for the 11/11 sale).

Like u, I got the BLON to see what's the hype all about and was also thinking it would soon be relegated to my the storeroom as I have more expensive IEMs in my stable. The BLON BL-03 made me give away my **** and KZ ZS10 Pro within 2 days of usage. And I'm using the BLON more often than my TFZ No. 3 for the past month for general music listening. Sure, there are other IEMs with better technicalities, but I just keep going back to listen to the BLONs for it's great natural coherency and tonality. It doesn't particularly excel at one area (other than timbre/tonality) but it does most areas well and packages it into a nice lush music presentation.
For those that are of the older generation, I'm sure you guys will understand what a vinyl recording sounds like and the BLON really imitates the analogue sound signature of vinyl recordings. It's a very refreshing tuning compared to the dime a dozen V shaped steroid juiced up multi BA/hybrid CHIFI sets that give lots of details but at the expense of "musicality".
I'm sure some folks will still prefer multi BA/hybrids for their better instrument separation and details, but the BLONs are an eyeopener. YMMV.
I think you stated this earlier... it depends on your musical tastes. I love love love the way traditional instruments sound with the BLONs. Jazz/acoustic/melodic metal are some stand-outs. I also really enjoy intimate, forward-focused vocals. It's not as impressive however for electronic music, or music that has "a lot going on", as instrument separation and micro detail isn't really impressive on this set (1 DD what can you do?). I'd say BLONs have their place in any audiophiles collection, but people still need to understand where its strengths lie. I wouldn't be so harsh on the "dime a dozen v-shaped multi-BA" signature, because when done right (as it is done on the T800), it's an incredible listening experience.
I'm also still struggling to get a perfect fit on these things... I'd gladly pay +$20 for a BL-03 v2 that has a more ergonomic shape & better isolation.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #397 of 6,129
I think you stated this earlier... it depends on your musical tastes. I love love love the way traditional instruments sound with the BLONs. Jazz/acoustic/melodic metal are some stand-outs. I also really enjoy intimate, forward-focused vocals. It's not as impressive however for electronic music, or music that has "a lot going on", as instrument separation and micro detail isn't really impressive on this set (1 DD what can you do?). I'd say BLONs have their place in any audiophiles collection, but people still need to understand where its strengths lie. I wouldn't be so harsh on the "dime a dozen v-shaped multi-BA" signature, because when done right (as it is done on the T800), it's an incredible listening experience.
I'm also still struggling to get a perfect fit on these things... I'd gladly pay +$20 for a BL-03 v2 that has a more ergonomic shape & better isolation.

Ya the fit is a bummer, but most folks in headfi thankfully have spare tips and cables on hand. I think the casual consumers and those new to the hobby may not know how to tiproll and will have issues with it unfortunately.
If they released a version 2 with those ergonomic improvements and maybe better isolation/details, while keeping the tonality and timbre, I would gladly purchase it even if they charged $50 - 100 USD.

Honestly, I'm using my BLONs more than my Audiosense T800 the past month for casual music listening. Definitely as we all agree, the BLONs are not perfect (such as some folks not liking the bass, poor isolation, distortion), and as discussed, the BLONs' strengths are not in instrument separation, details or electronic music, but sometimes I find the T800 gives me too much details when I wanna just chill back and relax. I do keep my T800 around for critical listening and stage monitoring. Yep it really depends what u are looking for in your music and your music preferences, but the BLON has my vote for CHIFI DD of the year.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #398 of 6,129
I'm releasing my BL03 from "TWS duty". being paired with the BT20S, it can sit comfortably in my ears and make a seal, but as soon as i move my jaw/ears, it looses the seal. so back with the Kanas on that. also the Kanas is much better at sound isolation and the sound signature works better than the BL03 for noisy environments.
I'm putting the BL03 back to cable use.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #399 of 6,129
I'm releasing my BL03 from "TWS duty". being paired with the BT20S, it can sit comfortably in my ears and make a seal, but as soon as i move my jaw/ears, it looses the seal. so back with the Kanas on that. also the Kanas is much better at sound isolation and the sound signature works better than the BL03 for noisy environments.

Usually, hybrid tips/mod fix it to me (isolation and seal). But nothing like finding the best synergy that works to you. :p

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #400 of 6,129
Usually, hybrid tips/mod fix it to me (isolation and seal). But nothing like finding the best synergy that works to you. :p

the tips are not the main problem, i think, but more because of the BT20S cable stiffness, so the cable that makes the BL03 loose seal. my other IEMs like the Kanas for example are not affected by the cable.
it's a shame because the BL03-BT20s combo looks slick. but that's okay, i can still use it at home :ksc75smile:

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #401 of 6,129
I would recommend the misodiko S series foam tips for these blons. The S series has this shiny surface that don't absorbs highs really well compared to your regular foams. So the sound stays crisp and the bass sounded tight and not boomy. The are very comfortable and you can also wash them. They are worth the investment for you're blons. M300s i think is the perfect tight fit for blons . Personally I'm using m400s but it will eat the stem. After getting them I could not go back to silicone tips. They are just the perfect. Comfort and sound.

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #402 of 6,129

That happened to me too. When using Bl03 with bt20s normally, I will break the seal whenever I move my jaw, but using it drop down completely eliminate that issue. And yeah Bl03 is not good for blocking outside noise, but it still better than average in noise isolation.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #403 of 6,129
Thanks! Any issue with the 0.75mm pins vs 0.78mm on the ear pieces?

No issues at all, the only thing to watch out for is to not shave too much off the BLON connector; take small amounts off and keep trying until it is a perfect fit. I almost took off too much material on one side but luckily I tested the cable at the last minute.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #404 of 6,129
I would recommend the misodiko S series foam tips for these blons. The S series has this shiny surface that don't absorbs highs really well compared to your regular foams. So the sound stays crisp and the bass sounded tight and not boomy. The are very comfortable and you can also wash them. They are worth the investment for you're blons. M300s i think is the perfect tight fit for blons . Personally I'm using m400s but it will eat the stem. After getting them I could not go back to silicone tips. They are just the perfect. Comfort and sound.
From what you wrote and from what I read on the product page, the M300s seem identical, or very close, to the foams that come with Sennheiser IE 40 Pro (minus the filter). I've been looking for a replacement for a while now, as these are one of my favourite foam tips. Thanks!

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #405 of 6,129
Mine has at last landed in my country. As the last one running in the marathon I will try to be excited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back