Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #332 of 6,129
Should I get this even after having the tfz no. 3? I know they have different tunings but still...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #333 of 6,129
I purchased the TRN TFZ cable with the .78mm connector. 8 core SPC, mixed black & white.
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?_u=r2029scu672e33&id=583423386296&sku_properties=122216547:138783
BN5A0rO.jpg

No polarity issues afaik, but it's still a bit of an odd fit bc the angle of the earbud + the shape of the earhook make a full loop. Regardless it still works and sounds great. And at $10 still makes this a cost effective combo.
Sounds like most here are using silicon tips, but the comply TSX-200s are a nice firm fit that really bring out the bass.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #334 of 6,129
I purchased the TRN TFZ cable with the .78mm connector. 8 core SPC, mixed black & white.
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?_u=r2029scu672e33&id=583423386296&sku_properties=122216547:138783
BN5A0rO.jpg

No polarity issues afaik, but it's still a bit of an odd fit bc the angle of the earbud + the shape of the earhook make a full loop. Regardless it still works and sounds great. And at $10 still makes this a cost effective combo.
Sounds like most here are using silicon tips, but the comply TSX-200s are a nice firm fit that really bring out the bass.
I was told to avoid TRN 6 and 8 core, as some are not soldered correctly.
See discussion starting here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1828#post-15244581

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #335 of 6,129
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #336 of 6,129
I'm considering getting the BL-03 on 11-11. I've seen that QDC cables fit nicely after some tinkering, how do TFZ type terminations fit, do they sit flush with the IEM body?, I'm asking ecause the TFZ style, has squared edges but seems shallower in depth than the QDC style.

For those with afermarket cables, do you recomend going with straight or angled terminations?

Also, saw some talk about gunmetal finnished housing units sounding different than the polished silver ones, any consensus in that respect?

I use straight connector cables with my BLONs (specifically 8 core copper nicehck @ $7 usd). It sticks out of the housing a bit but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.
I'm quite peeved with that unlike mmcx connectors, these chifi brands keep releasing different para A, B, C housing cable connectors for their 2 pin iems. Some also are 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm. I just decided to stick with a straight connector that the majority of sets can use.

From what i read the silver and gunmetal ones that were initially thought to have different sound signatures were down to unit variance after others chimed in with their input.

Should I get this even after having the tfz no. 3? I know they have different tunings but still...

I made a small comparison of TFZ no. 3 with BLONs and a few other single DD iems in this amateur review at the 2nd last segment:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blon-bl-03.23894/reviews#review-22744

TFZ no. 3 is more basshead but also has a 8khz spike (and upper mids CHIFI spike). BLON is more coherent and natural in tuning and has a bigger soundstage. Otherwise No. 3 is easier to drive and has better instrument separation, clarity, isolation and details. No. 3 is an allround more fun sounding tuning while BLON is more natural.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #338 of 6,129
Wow my dizzy godfathers. I can mention the words Blon 03 on this thread without the national crime agency and the earphone police getting involved. Blon 03......there said it again. I used to love the TFZ no 3. It started to sound a bit thin when I spent more than I should have on the Rose Masya Mk2 (Pro). I just find buds have a fuller sound for my ears. Then I succumbed to the Blon 03. Nothing in life is perfect, but the Blon 03 does make music sound extremely good. Just my subjective enjoyment.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #339 of 6,129
I use straight connector cables with my BLONs (specifically 8 core copper nicehck @ $7 usd). It sticks out of the housing a bit but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.
I'm quite peeved with that unlike mmcx connectors, these chifi brands keep releasing different para A, B, C housing cable connectors for their 2 pin iems. Some also are 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm. I just decided to stick with a straight connector that the majority of sets can use.

From what i read the silver and gunmetal ones that were initially thought to have different sound signatures were down to unit variance after others chimed in with their input.

I made a small comparison of TFZ no. 3 with BLONs and a few other single DD iems in this amateur review at the 2nd last segment:

TFZ no. 3 is more basshead but also has a 8khz spike (and upper mids CHIFI spike). BLON is more coherent and natural in tuning and has a bigger soundstage. Otherwise No. 3 is easier to drive and has better instrument separation, clarity, isolation and details. No. 3 is an allround more fun sounding tuning while BLON is more natural.

Thanks for the clear up! I might get those when it has a good deal then since i didn't really need it now. :D

Oct 27, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #340 of 6,129
Jesus chi fi is a crapshoot. Though fwiw, compared with the stock cable I notice no difference in sound. And the sq is fantastic. They may have fixed the issues or I got lucky. Don’t blame you for avoiding it though.

I believe it was fixed. In either case it apparently never did ruin the sound for most people. I know my husband is still using two of the older ones.

What kind of replacement cable fits the blon bl-03? Ali has 0.78mm 2-pin and also hooded KZ 2-pin connectors. Not sure which.

So far no one has posted anything that fits exactly like the stock cable... which is why I continued to happily use the stock cable for three months until I decided last week to try them cable down. For that I of course needed a cable with no earhooks and a straight connector. Loving the cable down fit... fits like an earbud that way and I love earbuds.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #342 of 6,129
Thats just the thing about the BLON 03. I can't put my finger on why it sounds good. It doesn't have say, better soundstage than the best of the best, treble isnt OCD detail out the wazoo, mids are polite.

What the BLON does for me is make me want to listen to my music. Each track comes on and my head starts nodding and I rock out. It's amazing how much this IEM makes me want to listen.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #343 of 6,129
Thats just the thing about the BLON 03. I can't put my finger on why it sounds good. It doesn't have say, better soundstage than the best of the best, treble isnt OCD detail out the wazoo, mids are polite.

What the BLON does for me is make me want to listen to my music. Each track comes on and my head starts nodding and I rock out. It's amazing how much this IEM makes me want to listen.

That is so true and is a perfect description. What more can you ask for in an iem?

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #344 of 6,129

I'll get QDC termination cables and do some filing as that tini gap bothers me visually even if it doesn't affect the fit.

Yeah, the multiple connector standards are an annoyance. I'll check your review and see if I finally decide to get them.

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #345 of 6,129
I will say it feels like a very safe tuning that is clean and clear. Bass is not too much and there is a very definite separation between kick drum and bass line, so bass details are above avg imo. Mids are pretty much clean with no salt and pepper. Male and female vocals are presented naturally and placed just right in the mix. Treble is safe and doesn't extend very high, isn't splashy or sibilant. I personally feel like it borders on fatiguing, but I have yet to get fatigued listening to them. Its just a nice tuning. Very safe and imo is a very solid all-rounder. I find that even if I hear a shortcoming the song still sounds good.

Listening to Greg Graffins(Bad Religion) solo album yesterday and was really impressed with the bass separation and how natural and nice the guitars sounded. Gregs voice sounds great and there was really nothing to complain about here, atleast for me.

Does punk well.

18 things going on here at once. Sounds great. Sure there are better IEMS out there that do this song better, but it still sounds great here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back