Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #5,116 of 6,129
If my experiments with the BL-03's nozzle are anything to go by. That increase in upper mids and treble will NOT be subtle... Not for me at least.

Not to undermine any results of yours, but graphs fail to included the inseparable results of soundstage and imaging. That’s the main difference that makes the BL-01 and TC-01 different animals, besides how easy the TC-01 is to drive.

It’s hard to be definitive about BL-01 treble and midrange as I was able to change them with SPC cables and inverted tips. The TC-01 does show the energy delineated in the comparison graph but it’s not anything unwanted, at least in my humble opinion.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #5,117 of 6,129
BLON BL-01.jpeg

Small BLON BL-01 review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blon-bl-01.24799/reviews#item-review-25061

TLDR:

Pros:

Well built metal shells.
Smooth and non fatiguing tuning.
Good timbre.
Above average isolation.
Good price to performance ratio.

Cons:
Iffy fit (slightly better than the fit of the infamous BLON BL-03).
Same crappy accessories (stock eartips/cable).
Not the best in technicalities.
Midbass bloat, might be too bassy and warm for some.
May not be getting full potential with low powered smartphones, amping is needed to scale the IEM.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #5,118 of 6,129
Yeah, that's pretty much the case.

I find myself listening to the BL-01 more and more. The tuning is very good, and very versatile.

The main technicality it needs to fix is layering. And it would be nice to have the soundstage of at least a $60-75 IEM. And better imaging and greater bass texture.

I also wonder what it would sound like without the midbass bloat. If it loses too much of the great signature, I wouldn't modify it, but I can detect the bloat.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #5,119 of 6,129
Yeah, that's pretty much the case.

I find myself listening to the BL-01 more and more. The tuning is very good, and very versatile.

The main technicality it needs to fix is layering. And it would be nice to have the soundstage of at least a $60-75 IEM. And better imaging and greater bass texture.

I also wonder what it would sound like without the midbass bloat. If it loses too much of the great signature, I wouldn't modify it, but I can detect the bloat.

Maybe would sound like the DQ6 :smirk: :L3000: .

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #5,122 of 6,129
Nope. The Bl-01 only beat the DQ6 in bass IMHO. Other than that the DQ6 is better in basically everything else. And just different sound signature overall.
Could you please elaborate on this comment? How is the bass better on the BLON 01? I've got both the 01 and 03 and appreciate both; but I prefer the fit of the 03 more. I'm looking to get the DQ6 cause I'm a KZ fan and love my ZS10 PRO, but don't have any iems that use a 3 DD driver setup. These look interesting to me...but what makes them special enough sound wise to make wanna buy them?

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #5,123 of 6,129
Could you please elaborate on this comment? How is the bass better on the BLON 01? I've got both the 01 and 03 and appreciate both; but I prefer the fit of the 03 more. I'm looking to get the DQ6 cause I'm a KZ fan and love my ZS10 PRO, but don't have any iems that use a 3 DD driver setup. These look interesting to me...but what makes them special enough sound wise to make wanna buy them?

First I have to say I am not a big fan of the BL-01. They sound good on some tracks such as those with brass as the center instrument, in general warmer tracks that require less treble extension and technicality. However it can easily sound thin on other instrumental tracks such as violin concertos and totally lack the treble detail for female vocal. The tuning is in general much more V shape compare to the DQ6. IMO, the stage of the BL-01 is wider however lacks focus and the imaging is quite average.

For the DQ6, they have a more neutral tuning and can sound good on almost any track IMHO however cable rolling maybe required because I heard bass distortion when pairing with some of my 8-core copper cables and I am using a 4-core BQEYZ copper cable that came with the spring 2 (get this cable, I think it is really good). There is much better note weight on the mid/treble region on the DQ6 compare to the BL-01 and never shouty like the BL-01. Also there is enough technicality although not a technical monster like the NM2+ that you can enjoy/analyze your music with. There is in fact more quantity in the bass with the DQ6 but lacking a bit of impact, extension and resolution when comparing with the BL-01 (basically you can feel the bass is more engaging on the BL-01). However, I am sure the bass is enough except for crazy bassheads. The stage is a little smaller but the imaging is quite a lot better to my ears too. I would rate the BL-01 and ZS10 Pro 3/5 and the DQ6 4.5/5 (and for the price I paid I would rate it 5/5).

Edit: forget about the crazy bassheads, the Bass is still really strong on bassy tracks just when you listen to orchestra music that the bass is not boosted you will find the bass not as engaging.

And I should have rated the ZS10 Pro higher like 4/5. In brief the ZS10 Pro has better bass and less layering but better vertical imaging. Just that the treble is a bit harsh for me just like other KZ's BA-DD hybrids. Perhaps can be fixed after some aggressive run-in?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #5,124 of 6,129
First I have to say I am not a big fan of the BL-01. They sound good on some tracks such as those with brass as the center instrument, in general warmer tracks that require less treble extension and technicality. However it can easily sound thin on other instrumental tracks such as violin concertos and totally lack the treble detail for female vocal. The tuning is in general much more V shape compare to the DQ6. IMO, the stage of the BL-01 is wider however lacks focus and the imaging is quite average.

For the DQ6, they have a more neutral tuning and can sound good on almost any track IMHO however cable rolling maybe required because I heard bass distortion when pairing with some of my 8-core copper cables and I am using a 4-core BQEYZ copper cable that came with the spring 2 (get this cable, I think it is really good). There is much better note weight on the mid/treble region on the DQ6 compare to the BL-01 and never shouty like the BL-01. Also there is enough technicality although not a technical monster like the NM2+ that you can enjoy/analyze your music with. There is in fact more quantity in the bass with the DQ6 but lacking a bit of impact, extension and resolution when comparing with the BL-01 (basically you can feel the bass is more engaging on the BL-01). However, I am sure the bass is enough except for crazy bassheads. The stage is a little smaller but the imaging is quite a lot better to my ears too. I would rate the BL-01 and ZS10 Pro 3/5 and the DQ6 4.5/5 (and for the price I paid I would rate it 5/5).
Ok...thank you very much for your response and views. I'm going to hold off on buying the DQ6 until I see a few more reviews that evaluate them with music that is more comparable with my own music library. I rate my ZS10 PRO and BLON BL01 a 4 out of 5; my BLON 03 a 4.5, with the music I enjoy. Different strokes for different folks.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #5,125 of 6,129
Ok...thank you very much for your response and views. I'm going to hold off on buying the DQ6 until I see a few more reviews that evaluate them with music that is more comparable with my own music library. I rate my ZS10 PRO and BLON BL01 a 4 out of 5; my BLON 03 a 4.5, with the music I enjoy. Different strokes for different folks.

Yup, the DQ6 actually has very strong bass on bass boosted tracks, just that I mostly listen to classical music I find the extension not enough. YMMV. :L3000:

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #5,127 of 6,129
The Blon-01 is an exceptional IEM regardless of it's price. I have the beryllium iss014 and it has a high quality sound, that for me is a similar family sound to the KBear Believe. Even with a 'good' Beryllium coated iss014 the Blon-01 holds up well to it (as does the Blon-03). For it's price the Blon-01 is a phenomena. I did change the cable to a 4.4mm and use Azla Earfits, Spiral Dots or others. I paid £11.82 for it delivered. Cheaper than Fish and Chips delivered (although the Fish and Chips is a bit fresher and very tasty). The Blon-01 is probably the bargain of 2020 of any IEM....all purely IMHO.:amphora::amphora::amphora:Champion.
Yup...very much agree. Only caveat is...it does need a decent amount of power to sound it's best. Atm, I'm powering my set with the Fiio Q1MK2. It's got enough juice, using the 2.5 balanced output, even on low gain. No bass boost either. Sounds crazy good.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #5,128 of 6,129
I almost take back what I have written about the Blon bl-05 non s. I have half taped over the nozzles and put foam tips on them the other night, stuck on one of my favourite albums (the cure, seventeen seconds) and they are now tolerable, without eq. Not as good as the 01 or 03 but tolerable. Still a hair too screechy, and too bass lean, but almost there. Upper treble however is fine on them. I'd almost say they sound pretty boring as they sound pretty flat, it sort sucks the life out them. Probably tunes them to Harman neutral. Can be a good thing, but it has no excitement now. I think it's the foams and why I normally dislike them.

Given the choice, I'd go with the 01s.

It has the same effect on my kbear kb 10 ba set. I normally heavily eq both of them but with taped nozzles and foams I can tolerate them without eq. I very rarely use them, though. I want to like them.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #5,129 of 6,129

**FLIPPED TIPS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED**

So glad I came across this post.

Having rolled tips, swapped out cable to SPC and left for 10 hours burn ... I was ready to conclude mehh
Something was still drastically missing in the area of soundstage dimension so that the sound felt flat. The short nozzle was the main suspect for the issue as I couldn’t get a good seal with any tip.

Putting on a pair of Flipped tips immediately redeemed the earphones. Suddenly I could sense width and height in the soundstage. There was also better stereo imaging making Trance tracks musically involving again. They now remind me little of the Yamaha EPH100 classics which sold close to the £100 mark.

It’s going back on the burn and i will have another good listen at 50hrs to make a conclusion.

And a big thanks to @Slater for the mod.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,130 of 6,129
**FLIPPED TIPS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED**

So glad I came across this post.

Having rolled tips, swapped out cable to SPC and left for 10 hours burn ... I was ready to conclude mehh
Something was still drastically missing in the area of soundstage dimension so that the sound felt flat. The short nozzle was the main suspect for the issue as I couldn’t get a good seal with any tip.

Putting on a pair of Flipped tips immediately redeemed the earphones. Suddenly I could sense width and height in the soundstage. There was also better stereo imaging making Trance tracks musically involving again. They now remind me little of the Yamaha EPH100 classics which sold close to the £100 mark.

It’s going back on the burn and i will have another good listen at 50hrs to make a conclusion.

And a big thanks to @Slater for the mod.

Yep, your experience parallels mine exactly.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back