Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #4,486 of 6,129
some thoughts on the bl-01 vs bl-03 (at least the tuning i got):
Bass definitely cleaner and not bleeding into the mids.Treble as a whole is good, but prefer the one on the 03. Instruments are pretty decent on the 01 and are slightly better than on the 03, stage on the 01 slighty more expansive > than 03. Overall the 01 is less musical to my ears than the 03, but is way more polished than the 03 in stock config. The ideal set may have been a combination of both??
For reference, I did the filter mod on the 03, which already cleaned up alot of the bloat. 01 is fresh from the box. I used the same cable and sources. The connector seems to be 0.75..had a very tight fit using 0.78 to the point where i felt the pins could snap if i forced in it more...

Thank you appreciate your insight, waiting for mine to come was supposed to be delivered today but still not here hopefully by friday. Ordered a few 0.78 cables since I thought thats what the connection is. Will have to slightly bend and force them in.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #4,487 of 6,129
So, I took out my dysfunctional pair of BL03s today (after being in my drawer for a while), the pair that suddenly developed an imbalance with weak left output. It still is dysfunctional. I took off the grills/screens, and it didn’t help at all. My ear anatomy tends to cause driver flex easily,
and more on the right side. This pair of BL03s get driver flex easily, but it’s incredibly bad on the left side, with any movement. I do think this is a case where driver flex killed the IEM. I tried forcing air into and out of the shell, to see if the driver could pop back into place, but nothing has worked.

I would really like to know what happened. I‘m temped to send it to our resident expert, Professor @Slater, to perform an autopsy on it.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #4,488 of 6,129
So, I took out my dysfunctional pair of BL03s today (after being in my drawer for a while), the pair that suddenly developed an imbalance with weak left output. It still is dysfunctional. I took off the grills/screens, and it didn’t help at all. My ear anatomy tends to cause driver flex easily,
and more on the right side. This pair of BL03s get driver flex easily, but it’s incredibly bad on the left side, with any movement. I do think this is a case where driver flex killed the IEM. I tried forcing air into and out of the shell, to see if the driver could pop back into place, but nothing has worked.

I would really like to know what happened. I‘m temped to send it to our resident expert, Professor @Slater, to perform an autopsy on it.
Yes, Slater is the Doctor in the house of IEM's! :point_left::head_bandage:

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #4,489 of 6,129
I appreciate your reply 👍

Well, different tastes for different ears, luckily we've got different options to choose from based on our preferences.

In my case with EDX, I've had to partially cover the nozzle with micropore tape in order to tame the upper mids and treable peaks that I hear. After the mod, i've been using it as my running workout IEM , because it's so cheap I don't mind if it breaks, and it sounds pretty decent.

I encourage you to do one more thing before sentencing BL-01: experiment with the equaliser, bring bass and midbass frequencies down a bit, and increase treble a bit (at around 8 - 10k) . BL-01's driver takes EQ pretty well and it makes the sound more open, revealing and detailed.

I am not exactly sure if it is the effect of burning in or using a more expensive cable, but the imaging and treble have improved quite a lot especially for classical music and wind band music alike however still a bit too smooth for vocals and the sound image was still not clear enough. (again, the T4 is muchhhhhh better for vocal) I still hear the main instrument from both sides rather than from the dead center. They are pretty good now and probably shouldn't ask for more for the price. I tried eqing the treble but couldn't reach the EDX territory in clarity and resolution. So, I still prefer the EDX:floatsmile:. Much better bass, better vocal, clearer imaging, better instrument separation, more fun.
YMMV:L3000:.

Have you tried swapping tips for the EDX?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #4,495 of 6,129
Yours don't have shouty highs ?
They are sharp and resolving but not ear piercing, not within the shouty territory. I use JVC spiral dot maybe you can give them a try. Softer tips such as Spinfit they can make the sound super shouty thou. I actually have rather treble sensitive ears and still find them not shouty.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #4,496 of 6,129
BL-01!
The sound is hot garbage.
IMG_20201126_144925~2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back