Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,452 of 6,129
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,454 of 6,129
Well the Tripowin Zonie was ordered and it should arrive give or take in early to mid August. I can only wonder what will that do to the BL03 since it plugs like a generic 2 pin cable.

Edit: Has anyone done any measures of the effect of completely opening the air intake of the BL03?

Edit 2: The poking the hole in the mesh then both opening the air intake and poking the hole in the mesh.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3,455 of 6,129
Just as I was getting adjusted to the Blon 05 sound signature using foam tips and really starting to enjoy them I noticed that the volume on the right earpiece was much lower to the extreme. I returned them to Amazon with no issue at all and recieved a refund.. I may repurchase them in the future if the price goes lower than the 50 bucks I paid originally... Different from 03 but has its own pluses... Still loving the 03..

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #3,457 of 6,129
Just as I was getting adjusted to the Blon 05 sound signature using foam tips and really starting to enjoy them I noticed that the volume on the right earpiece was much lower to the extreme. I returned them to Amazon with no issue at all and recieved a refund.. I may repurchase them in the future if the price goes lower than the 50 bucks I paid originally... Different from 03 but has its own pluses... Still loving the 03..
Did you measure the impedance before returning?

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #3,458 of 6,129
How are people enjoying the BL05 with foam tips? I'd imagine that helps with making the bass a little more tasteful and softening up some of the other peaks?

New Bee/Riko (generic) foam tips from Amazon have helped tremendously with the fit/ear tip issues I've have had probably due to the short nozzle length. These tips are slightly more elongated than single flange silicone tips I've tried but just enough to where they feel more secure and stay in my ear until I remove them. I also feel I can wear them for several hours too probably since it's blunting some of the peaks. The bass is warm and satisfying. The sound, over all, is more homogenous and feels like it has less instrument separation and clarity in the upper mids so details are a bit recessed. It also sounds a bit less grainy but then again, there is a loss of detail too. For me, this makes it a really great IEM for casual use like movies, youtube, etc since I can comfortably wear them for hours.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #3,459 of 6,129
I’ve had three sets of phones do this and in every instance there was a polymer mesh under the metal mesh that caused the problem. I removed the polymer mesh and the problem disappeared. Attached is a photo of my TRN V 90 showing the polymer mesh being removed. I leave my phones in overnight and one or both sides would go quiet by morning, then recover for the beginning of the next evening’s listening. Not any more. The V90 mids came forward some, so it might change the sound for others as well. One set of Bluetooth phones had only polymer mesh so I’m going without protection on them, but they used to go completely quiet on both sides until I removed the mesh, now no problem.

F73D5204-B979-4412-9C1A-8072721A8DC2.jpeg

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #3,460 of 6,129
I'm interested in seeing the reverse as well, like what would happen if you combined the BL05's bass and BL03's upper mids and above into a single IEM. As I mentioned when I tried the BL03 for the first time, the sheer presence of the lower mids (200Hz to 1kHz give or take) was eye opening to me, since they range from recessed to nearly completely drowned on every headgear I ever tried prior to the BL03. So what would happen if someone did this? Would it be considered too boring? Too neutral?
There are reports on Facebook with graphs showing that putting a 2.5mm square of 3m micropore medical tape on wax guard of the 05 produces the results you describe.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,461 of 6,129
True but but people are not brave :)

Could also try partially sealing off the bass vent by the 2-pin socket with micropore. That will reduce bass. No needles involved, and it’s 100% reversible.

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #3,462 of 6,129
This cheap 40$ earphone beats my Yamaha EPH200 (270$) and my DB Monroe (150$). It’s silly how good these are for the price. Running the Blons w a cheap 4.4mm balanced cable from Penon on my ZX507 and they are a revelation!

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #3,463 of 6,129
How’s the driver flex with the BL05 compared to the BL03?

@Slater, would you be willing to put a link to your famous BL03 mesh mod on your signature?

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #3,465 of 6,129
How’s the driver flex with the BL05 compared to the BL03?

@Slater, would you be willing to put a link to your famous BL03 mesh mod on your signature?

No driver flex with me either.

As far as my signature, it's maxed out now. I forget how many lines you are allowed to have, but I have the maximum. If I add something, I have to take something away. I guess I could remove the one for the KZ 2-pin orientation, as pretty much all KZs use Paragraph C/QDC now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back