Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,847 of 6,129
Blon 03 with cheap setup?
I listen to music 30 min a day. I dont mind about the comfortability.

What should I buy?
computer soundblaster card
usb dongle (Sonata HD)
dap?

Right now I listen from computer mainboard, it sound better than 60$ dap.

Thx for pitch in.
Like some of the guys mention above, to better provide recommendations that would meet what you are looking for, I would recommend that you describe the type of sound (& music style) you want, how you intend to use it (stationary vs mobile), and a budget amount (in $).
Examples: stationary at home on a computer, at work on a computer with a noisy background, mobile while riding a bus to work, mobile to exercise, etc; listen to classical music and want to hear the details, enjoy Club music with a lot of bass, etc; need to keep the cost under $300,etc.
Hopefully that gives you an idea of what to describe so you can get better recommendations.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,849 of 6,129
I love the sound signature of the blons, they are my first iems coming from an HD650 but I guess I would like something more detailed but with same bass presence

thanks for your reply
I'd deffo try some different tips or maybe even the Cardinal. The AZLA earfits give the blon more detail by maybe 5%. The Cardinals have probably 10% more detail.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,850 of 6,129
I love the sound signature of the blons, they are my first iems coming from an HD650 but I guess I would like something more detailed but with same bass presence

thanks for your reply
then maybe you can try TFZ T2

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,851 of 6,129
@TimeSnow nice pics & glad you enjoy the cardinal. It ended up making my BL-03 redundant, as I agree with you, it retains the positive characteristics of the BL-03, yet improves enough in other areas where the BL-03 falls short (mainly fit & isolation... bass also extends further). What is interesting to me is that your version has a fancy looking filter at the end of the nozzle. Mine doesn't, nor does anyone else that has posted pics so far. I am curious what impact that has on SQ. It certainly would make it easier to clean and maintain. What tips are you using? And are you using the stock cable?

I also notice you got 2 cables with yours, a red and a blue. So overall you got the best package so far. I wonder why the cardinal hasn't caught on more. I think being double the price is certainly a factor, but I also think it isn't as well known or easy to acquire as well. I still think it's a good value, even at 70ish dollars.

I used the stock tips and cables yesterday. I am gonna try a few options today and will report back!

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #1,852 of 6,129

thanks for your reply

If it is just single CHIFI DD IEMs like the BLON, based on your requirements I would recommend you to check out:
1) TFZ No. 3 - more subbass extension and midbass quantity than the BLONs. Better technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details, imaging) also. Soundstage and timbre slightly less good as the BLONs, but isolation is much better. It may be a bit brighter than the BLONs in the 2 - 4 kHz and 8kHz areas, but this gives it more sparkle and details than the BLON as such, so it's a tradeoff.

2) Semkarch SKC CNT1 - there's 2 filters, the gold one makes it more neutralish/brighter, whereas the black one makes it more bassy. It has better technicalities than the BLON, better fit. With black filters, the bass quantity is thereabouts, but it is faster in the bass than the BLONs. Also the lower mids are boosted relative to upper mids so male voices are more forward than female ones. But it is quite a nicely tuned set, no harsh peaks/valleys. BLON's timbre is slightly better.

3) Toneking Ninetails - has front + rear filters to give 9 tuning options, from V shaped to basshead to neutralish. On the 2nd most bassy filter config, it sounds a bit like the BLON but with better technicals, better soundstage. Isolation is weaker than BLONs. It looks weird but is actually very comfortable and well fitting. On most config options the BLON sounds to me to have more mids still than the Ninetails, so if u like the mids of the BLON, do be aware. BLON's timbre is slightly better.

4) BLON Cardinal/Bluejay - assuming u get a legit set. I think u can ask the sellers first before buying which set they have in stock. Mine is the "audition" type with no nozzles. It has similar tuning to the BLON BL-03, but with more subbass extension/quantity. Better fit/soundstage, better technicals. Stock tips/cables work fine OOTB, so no need to mess around.

If you want something pricier, do check out the Moondrop KXXS and Tanchjim Oxygen. I don't have them, but they generally have good reviews for a single DD set.

One other set that is not a single DD but that is warm and bassy like the BLON is the NiceHCK M6 (4 BA + 2 DD). Somewhat similar tonality and timbre, it has 3 tuning stock filters, but they are slightly gimicky. Definitely has better details/imaging/clarity/instrument separation than the BL-03, but might be bassier in the midbass with the default tuning nozzles.

All the best in your search!

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,854 of 6,129
Well, I'd like to pick up a Cardinal as well. But I want to understand exactly what I'm buying.

I mean, all of these are supposedly the Blon "Cardinal":

Even the official marketing photo calls it the "Blon MD8", yet the IEM in the photo says "H101":

Are all of these the exact same shells, using the exact same drivers, and all have the exact same tuning? Or are there differences with regards to vents or sound tuning?

There are at least SOME differences, because here's 2 different nozzles people have received. One is totally open, and the other has a fancy alien looking nozzle 'filter':

My point is that if member X says he "loves his Cardinal and it has more bass than the BL-03", and member Y says they "love their Cardinal and it's got better soundstage but the same bass as the BL-03", is it because X and Y have different ears and are hearing things differently? Or is it because member X got an "audition" version with the alien looking filter, and member Y got an "H101" version with open nozzle hole?

Why would they take the time to engrave 4 different model names in the shells if they were all exactly the same? It makes no sense, and I think there's more to the story than we know. Especially when some of the sellers have way different prices (everywhere from $60 to $120).

Too many unanswered mysteries for me to plunk down $60-$120 when I'm not even sure about which version I'll be receiving. What if all the ones marked "audition" don't sound as good as the ones marked "Bluejay"?
I was able to double check and my BLON Cardinal has the metal grill/filter on the nozzle and is labeled Cardinal (not Audition).
I looked at the Aliexpress listing where I ordered them and for their pictures the show a pic without the metal grill labeled Cardinal, a pic with the metal grill labeled Cardinal, and a pic that you can't see the nozzle but labeled Audition. Go figure.
198430991-1185538110.jpg
-1184748889-1835056860.jpg
-5008633491657834247.jpg

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,857 of 6,129
If it is just single CHIFI DD IEMs like the BLON, based on your requirements I would recommend you to check out:
1) TFZ No. 3 - more subbass extension and midbass quantity than the BLONs. Better technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details, imaging) also. Soundstage and timbre slightly less good as the BLONs, but isolation is much better. It may be a bit brighter than the BLONs in the 2 - 4 kHz and 8kHz areas, but this gives it more sparkle and details than the BLON as such, so it's a tradeoff.

2) Semkarch SKC CNT1 - there's 2 filters, the gold one makes it more neutralish/brighter, whereas the black one makes it more bassy. It has better technicalities than the BLON, better fit. With black filters, the bass quantity is thereabouts, but it is faster in the bass than the BLONs. Also the lower mids are boosted relative to upper mids so male voices are more forward than female ones. But it is quite a nicely tuned set, no harsh peaks/valleys. BLON's timbre is slightly better.

3) Toneking Ninetails - has front + rear filters to give 9 tuning options, from V shaped to basshead to neutralish. On the 2nd most bassy filter config, it sounds a bit like the BLON but with better technicals, better soundstage. Isolation is weaker than BLONs. It looks weird but is actually very comfortable and well fitting. On most config options the BLON sounds to me to have more mids still than the Ninetails, so if u like the mids of the BLON, do be aware. BLON's timbre is slightly better.

4) BLON Cardinal/Bluejay - assuming u get a legit set. I think u can ask the sellers first before buying which set they have in stock. Mine is the "audition" type with no nozzles. It has similar tuning to the BLON BL-03, but with more subbass extension/quantity. Better fit/soundstage, better technicals. Stock tips/cables work fine OOTB, so no need to mess around.

If you want something pricier, do check out the Moondrop KXXS and Tanchjim Oxygen. I don't have them, but they generally have good reviews for a single DD set.

One other set that is not a single DD but that is warm and bassy like the BLON is the NiceHCK M6 (4 BA + 2 DD). Somewhat similar tonality and timbre, it has 3 tuning stock filters, but they are slightly gimicky. Definitely has better details/imaging/clarity/instrument separation than the BL-03, but might be bassier in the midbass with the default tuning nozzles.

All the best in your search!

I have the 4 iems listed above in addition to the Moondrop, TRN V90 ( someone was asking about it earlier), and of course the BL03. For cheaper IEMs I like my TFZ no3 and BL03 (my BL03 sounds how he described his Cardinal). Like he said it depends on what you like, TFZ no3 v shape w/little extra bass, BL03 nice natural/smooth timbre w/little extra bass.
However, with the poor quality control/lack of consistency you are better off avoiding all BLON IEMs. You're seeing us describe what we have but that doesn't mean you would get one that sounds the same.
The Moondrop is nice, has a smooth timbre.
And of course if you're willing to spend more I have several that blow all of these away.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,858 of 6,129
Im interested in the cardinal as people talk about a cleaner/more detailed soind with out loosing the tuning of the bl-03.

But thing is the cardinal looks like every other "simple" plastic iem and de the bl-03 got the looks in my opinion.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #1,859 of 6,129
Im interested in the cardinal as people talk about a cleaner/more detailed soind with out loosing the tuning of the bl-03.

But thing is the cardinal looks like every other "simple" plastic iem and de the bl-03 got the looks in my opinion.

The Cardinal is actually a resin shell, it feels like a semi custom shell, though from far away it does look cheapish, yeah.
Though of course, the usual adage of don't judge a book by its cover applies here. I'll take a weird/crappish looking IEM with good sound anyday over one that looks pretty but sounds crap!

But now that Slater has pointed out some variations in shell emblazonment/nozzles etc, if you do wanna buy a Cardinal/Bluejay, best to check with the seller on the details of the shell emblazonment (is it saying "audition" or "cardinal") and whether there's an alien looking nozzle thing or just a non filtered nozzle.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,860 of 6,129
The Cardinal is actually a resin shell, it feels like a semi custom shell, though from far away it does look cheapish, yeah.
Though of course, the usual adage of don't judge a book by its cover applies here. I'll take a weird/crappish looking IEM with good sound anyday over one that looks pretty but sounds crap!

But now that Slater has pointed out some variations in shell emblazonment/nozzles etc, if you do wanna buy a Cardinal/Bluejay, best to check with the seller on the details of the shell emblazonment (is it saying "audition" or "cardinal") and whether there's an alien looking nozzle thing or just a non filtered nozzle.
Good advice.
The BL03 may look a little better than the Cardinal, metal look vs plastic look, if that's your preference (I tend to agree with you). That said, the shape of the Cardinal fits oh so much better (at least in my ears). We all would prefer a complete package but I'll take sound and fit over looks any day. I can't see it anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back