Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #1,816 of 6,129
i got 3 pairs and can't tell any difference in all other than which cable i plugged into it..

for example:
i have 2 silver (1 with cable mic and 1 without) and 1 brown blon (no mic)

- when i plugged all into **** 16core cables and using the same eartips (spinfit cp100) - all 3 seemed to sound the same..
the problem is when i plug a cheap aftermarket sennheiser ie80 cable.. the volume becomes lower and sound quality seems boring? but when i plug the same cables into the 3 iems.. they all seemed to sound the same... but just imho..

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #1,817 of 6,129
Yes but the dm6 had a much better color variety i dont like that blue or red one. But this green one from the dm6 or the black, white, clear ones are delicious
I had a dark red DM6 and loved the color. For the price difference, and if the sound is right, no problem with the light/vivid red shell from the Cardinals.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,819 of 6,129
Folks, it's a $30 Chi Fi IEM... of course quality control will be an issue. They will all sound slightly different and this is something we all need to accept at this price point.
I get the logic of your point and if poor quality control is the answer to the reported variations in audio sound/quality of the Blon bl 03 then so be it. Then I'm with you we have to accept it or move on.
What I'm not sure about is if I read people's feedback correctly that there is sound difference between colors and/or build date (manufactured in batches/runs). So for example if all the silver ones sound similar and the brown ones sound similar, but silver and brown sound different from each other then that implies a potential change in build process or materials. Same example/question could be made for differences based on build date (batches).
You mention variation as they sound slightly different, which to me would be more understandable. I have read some feedback that describes the sound difference as significant. I don't know if some people are exaggerating and the variation is minor or really is significant.
Is it common for people to have complaints around differences in sound for $39 (Amazon price) iems?
I see a lot of cheaper iems on Amazon/Aliexpress, I wonder if they have the same type of feedback. My only experience with multiple 'cheap' iems is the Sony mh755. I have five of those and they sound exactly the same to me. They were all $7 to $8 (black and white colors), and look & feel cheaper in quality.
I have a silver Blon bl 03 early build (and a blon cardinal, 03 sounds better) and it is pretty impressive. I am interested in getting a spare and a couple for my kids but not if they sound different. It'll be interesting to see how consensus plays out.
PS For my work at a large computer company and have to periodically go to China & Taiwan and tour vendor manufacturing sites. My experience is that most are modern facilities capable of consistent quality (regardless of component cost). Of course if blon is putting these things together in someone's garage then all bets are off, LOL.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #1,820 of 6,129
@TimeSnow nice pics & glad you enjoy the cardinal. It ended up making my BL-03 redundant, as I agree with you, it retains the positive characteristics of the BL-03, yet improves enough in other areas where the BL-03 falls short (mainly fit & isolation... bass also extends further). What is interesting to me is that your version has a fancy looking filter at the end of the nozzle. Mine doesn't, nor does anyone else that has posted pics so far. I am curious what impact that has on SQ. It certainly would make it easier to clean and maintain. What tips are you using? And are you using the stock cable?

I also notice you got 2 cables with yours, a red and a blue. So overall you got the best package so far. I wonder why the cardinal hasn't caught on more. I think being double the price is certainly a factor, but I also think it isn't as well known or easy to acquire as well. I still think it's a good value, even at 70ish dollars.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,821 of 6,129
How would you guys compare them with TRN V90 and CCA C12? They all cost around 30$ right now and I'm not sure which one to choose.
I have the V90 and the Blon bl03. To me the Blon is significantly better. It has a smooth/natural timbre that I really like, along with a fuller sounding bass. They both have impressive clarity. My V90 has what I think of as that stereotype Chifi V-shape sound. It has bass but feels a little lacking by comparison. Something about it just sounds artificial. But hey a lot of people seem to like the V90.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,822 of 6,129
Does anyone have a Cardinal or BlueJay that are actually engraved on the IEM as “Cardinal” or “BlueJay”?

Because the photos of Cardinals that people have posted, all say “Audition”.

The only ones I’ve ever seen that are actually engraved on the IEM as “Cardinal” or “BlueJay” are the marketing photos from Blon.

My Cardinal says "audition", seems the others here also have the "audition" word. But the ONLY way to know if you're getting a legit BLON is their box stating some mantra about Oppoty or Letting Music Burn or something like that. =)

You mean from the BL-03?

I thought the Cardinal was really only an upgrade in fit, due to ergonomic shell? I don’t think it was ever touted as a sound upgrade to the BL-03, but I could be wrong.

@Hisma and I also felt the Cardinal is an upgrade in technicals compared to the BLON BL-03. But I would say maybe 10 - 20% upgrade at most, in the areas of instrument separation, clarity, soundstage, imaging and details. And Cardinal has better subbass extension and quantity. The better fit and isolation and increased soundstage are the ones probably contributing to this 10 - 20% improvement in technicals.

But for those needing isolation like myself, I am much happier with the Cardinal's isolation than the BL-03.

How would you guys compare them with TRN V90 and CCA C12? They all cost around 30$ right now and I'm not sure which one to choose.

Comparing the TRN V90/CCA C12 to the BLON BL-03/Cardinal is comparing apples and oranges as the former are multi BA/hybrids and the latter are single DD. So the different transducers have different strengths and weaknesses. At the budget price point, in general the former group would have better instrument separation/details/clarity compared to the latter, but the latter would have better timbre and less coherency issues.
If u want a more detailed/analytical listening experience, or if your music has lots of complex and fast instruments/competing riffs, go for the former (multi BA/hybrids). If u want something with natural sound that is good for slower genres and with predominantly acoustic instruments, go for the latter (single DDs). Just my 2 cents.

@TimeSnow nice pics & glad you enjoy the cardinal. It ended up making my BL-03 redundant, as I agree with you, it retains the positive characteristics of the BL-03, yet improved enough in other areas where the BL-03 falls short (mainly fit & isolation... bass also extends further). What is interesting to me is that your version has a fancy looking filter at the end of the nozzle. Mine doesn't, nor does anyone else that has posted pics so far. I am curious what impact that has on SQ. It certainly would make it easier to clean and maintain. What tips are you using? And are you using the stock cable?

I also notice you got 2 cables with yours, a red and a blue. So overall you got the best package so far. I wonder why the cardinal hasn't caught on more. I think being double the price is certainly a factor, but I also think it isn't as well known or easy to acquire as well. I still think it's a good value, even at 70ish dollars.

My Cardinal didn't have the nozzle filter too.
I got my Cardinal at $64 USD, but I do think if folks are gonna spend around $20 - 30 USD on aftermarket tips/cables for the BL-03, it is gonna be thereabouts between the 2 sets. I'm also using my BL-03 as a backup pair, and maybe for sleep purposes, since the shell is much smaller.

Checks out

Yeah I posted before that I thought that they looked similar externally (DM6 coloured shell vs Cardinal). They even have the same concha protrusion. Not suprisingly in the CHIFI world as companies OEM for each other or source stuff from the same factory/producer.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,825 of 6,129
Maybe the actual name is BLON Audition and the color variants are Cardinal(red) and Bluejay(blue)? Maybe that's why they all say Audition? Who knows?

They definitely look sexy AF though. Thinking on passing on the BL-03 to someone else who could love it more then me and picking up the cardinal.

Well, I'd like to pick up a Cardinal as well. But I want to understand exactly what I'm buying.

I mean, all of these are supposedly the Blon "Cardinal":
closeup_cardinal.jpg
closeup_bluejay.png
closeup_audition.jpg

Even the official marketing photo calls it the "Blon MD8", yet the IEM in the photo says "H101":
Blon MD8.jpg
closeup_H101.jpg

Are all of these the exact same shells, using the exact same drivers, and all have the exact same tuning? Or are there differences with regards to vents or sound tuning?

There are at least SOME differences, because here's 2 different nozzles people have received. One is totally open, and the other has a fancy alien looking nozzle 'filter':
UYQIc0q.jpg
20191218_210446.jpg

My point is that if member X says he "loves his Cardinal and it has more bass than the BL-03", and member Y says they "love their Cardinal and it's got better soundstage but the same bass as the BL-03", is it because X and Y have different ears and are hearing things differently? Or is it because member X got an "audition" version with the alien looking filter, and member Y got an "H101" version with open nozzle hole?

Why would they take the time to engrave 4 different model names in the shells if they were all exactly the same? It makes no sense, and I think there's more to the story than we know. Especially when some of the sellers have way different prices (everywhere from $60 to $120).

Too many unanswered mysteries for me to plunk down $60-$120 when I'm not even sure about which version I'll be receiving. What if all the ones marked "audition" don't sound as good as the ones marked "Bluejay"?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #1,826 of 6,129
Well, I'd like to pick up a Cardinal as well. But I want to understand exactly what I'm buying.

Even the official marketing photo calls it the "Blon MD8", yet the IEM in the photo says "H101":

Are all of these the exact same shells, using the exact same drivers, and all have the exact same tuning? Or are there differences with regards to vents or sound tuning?

There are at least SOME differences, because here's 2 different nozzles people have received. One is totally open, and the other has a fancy alien looking nozzle 'filter':

My point is that if member X says he "loves his Cardinal and it has more bass than the BL-03", and member Y says they "love their Cardinal and it's got better soundstage but the same bass as the BL-03", is it because X and Y have different ears and are hearing things differently? Or is it because member X got an "audition" version with the alien looking filter, and member Y got an "H101" version with open nozzle hole?

Why would they take the time to engrave 4 different model names in the shells if they were all exactly the same? It makes no sense, and I think there's more to the story than we know. Especially when some of the sellers have way different prices (everywhere from $60 to $120).

Too many unanswered mysteries for me to plunk down $60-$120 when I'm not even sure about which version I'll be receiving. What if all the ones marked "audition" don't sound as good as the ones marked "Bluejay"?
LOL. Had no idea. Good Sleuthing work. You have pretty much scared me sober.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,827 of 6,129

LOL, you beat me to it, I was going post the same question(s). Thanks for including the pics.
I have a BLON BL-03 and a Cardinal. My Cardinal has the metal fan looking grill/nozzle like your last picture. I'll double check when I get home but I'm pretty sure that it does not have "audition" written on it like some of the other guys. I was reading their description of the Cardinal sounding better than the BL03 and thinking man I wish mine was like that because that's not how mine is. My BL03 sounds better than my Cardinal. It has more thump/fullness to the bass. They do sound pretty similar otherwise. The Cardinal fits my ear dang near perfect so I would love for it to sound better.
Geez questions around differences with the BL03 and now I'm wondering about the Cardinal. That's a shame because my BL03 is pretty sweet but I couldn't recommend it to someone if I'm not confident they'd get one that sounds the same.
Causes you to think of BLON as flaky.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,828 of 6,129
Especially when some of the sellers have way different prices (everywhere from $60 to $120).

You have good points, but in this regard, all their stores on Taobao the price is 499 CNY which is roughly $71 USD. I guess this variation is just sellers on AE baiting and trying to achieve a good profit. Also, some sell it without any package so they give a discount for this detail.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,829 of 6,129

Great detective work, these are excellent questions, but I think they are beyond our level. Short of asking someone who works inside the industry. Maybe the sellers themselves dunno about the variations - eg the Kbear F1 had different drivers inside initially.

What I can say is my "audition" version of the Cardinal (with no fancy nozzle) sounds similarly tuned to the BLON BL-03, just a better subbass and better technicalities, as I said around 10 - 20% improvement in these areas give and take. My Cardinal has a "DGS0143L" engraved on the shell, so maybe it's a serial number or something?

You have good points, but in this regard, all their stores on Taobao the price is 499 CNY which is roughly $71 USD. I guess this variation is just sellers on AE baiting and trying to achieve a good profit. Also, some sell it without any package so they give a discount for this detail.

Yeah the AE variation is between $64 - 100ish USD. Some sell it without package for a cheaper price as you said, though strangely most of the Cardinals are around $10 USD different in pricing from the Bluejay, though the sellers have assured me they are both the same internally, other than shell colour.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,830 of 6,129
Yeah the AE variation is between $64 - 100ish USD. Some sell it without package for a cheaper price as you said, though strangely most of the Cardinals are around $10 USD different in pricing from the Bluejay, though the sellers have assured me they are both the same internally, other than shell colour.

The same thing when I got my old Tanchjim Oxygen, the black version was +$10 compared to the silver version even though they are the same IEM. On Taobao, the Cardinal and Blue jay are priced the same (499 CNY), though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back