Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #1,591 of 6,129
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,592 of 6,129
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,595 of 6,129
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,596 of 6,129
FiiO Q1 MK2 might be a good choice. "noticeable improvement" is very personal, but the Q1 should have enough power to drive both of your phones. Maybe "chi-fi" products might beat the Q1 at its own game, but I don't have experience here.

I eventually ordered PDv2, it's cheap enough to be experimented with. Worse is that I'll have to keep it as a shiny paper weight or a portable heater until I get a planar, for which it is pretty good :D

Thanks for your suggestion though!

- anees

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,599 of 6,129
To all the Calyx M owners: BL-03 is delighted to get class A amplification from this legendary DAP. Both are "analog" sounding by nature and they are matching very well together. The bass from the BL-03 is really well-controlled and the layering is unseen at this price range, at least in my experience. As always, the Calyx M delivers power with ease and the single DD is getting spa-treatment by delivering a warm yet detailed sound. Perfect for Friday evening listening session.
IMG_20191206_220036.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,600 of 6,129
Just a simple thought came to my mind: has the shell form an influence on the acoustic/sound? Is the DD and its tuning especially good or the shell plays a role here? What do you think guys/girls think?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,601 of 6,129
Just a simple thought came to my mind: has the shell form an influence on the acoustic/sound? Is the DD and its tuning especially good or the shell plays a role here? What do you think guys/girls think?

Everything has an effect on sound. The shell shape, material, thickness, internal volume behind the driver, area of reflection behind the driver, front vents, rear vents, nozzle length, nozzle width, dampening, internal wires, crossover (or not), etc.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,602 of 6,129
Everything has an effect on sound. The shell shape, material, thickness, internal volume behind the driver, area of reflection behind the driver, front vents, rear vents, nozzle length, nozzle width, dampening, internal wires, crossover (or not), etc.
Yes, absolutely. I should have been more specific. My bad. Ceteris paribus (excepting the shell form), how the shell is bringing benefit, or not, to the BL-03 sound signature?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #1,603 of 6,129
Yes, absolutely. I should have been more specific. My bad. Ceteris paribus (excepting the shell form), how the shell could have been brought benefit, or not, to the BL-03 sound signature?

Are you wondering if installing the BL-03 driver in a different shell will change the sound from the stock BL-03?

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,604 of 6,129
Are you wondering if installing the BL-03 driver in a different shell will change the sound from the stock BL-03?
In an indirect way, yes. My question is: does Blon put that DD, with that tuning, in a teardrop shell intentionally or not? Did they make research or hoped for public acclaim by randomly inserting a DD in a non conventional IEM shell?

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #1,605 of 6,129
In an indirect way, yes. My question is: does Blon put that DD, with that tuning, in a teardrop shell intentionally or not? Did they make research or hoped for public acclaim by randomly inserting a DD in a non conventional IEM shell?
the cardinal has a very similar sound to the BL-03 using a typical IEM resin shell. So I don't think it has as much to do with nailing a specific tuning, as it was trying to nail a certain aesthetic (and perhaps price-point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back