BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #196 of 295
Linsoul’s follow-up:

Thank you for your reply,

we are so sorry for this, we need this picture to update to BLON so that they will process the headband replcement.

Please help to understand.

Best Regards,
Linsoul Audio
Customer Service Team

—————————

Summary of my reply: “not interested but thank you.”
They sending me a replacement headband, it's just a strip of metal

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #197 of 295
I don't speak for Linsoul, but I do speak to them on their Discord (and you can, too) and understand that they just want evidence that you have a problem with the headband so they can arrange for you to see the video (which they had re-made since the original wasn't good enough) and get you the part to "repair" the headband.
The video is unlisted on their YouTube channel, but shows that the replacement part is the metal strip. It's not compared to the original in the video, but I presume it's a bit bigger and maybe more curved.

That shaggy velour / leather hybrid looks very comfy.

It feels as good as it looks, if not better, plus it fixes the ears-by-a-speaker feeling I had with the Brainwavz XL which I presume must be worse with the stock pads and with the bent headband is a better fit to my head with the fat side behind my ears, not filling a gap underneath.
I have not done any A/B testing, but from the few hours of listening including right now to Daft Punk's "TRON Legacy" score, these provide exactly the big, warm comfy feeling for which I was looking. It's certainly not an open, airy or trebley sound, but neither does it stuff the soundstage into my head.

When we get some measurements and EQ to fit to the combined Harmon curve - at least as a starting point, I think these are going to be great. Mine are already really good for $86.45 (so far).

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #198 of 295
New earpads are in!
Yeah guys, theeeese seem work well with it, not only they make it much more comfortable than it was before, they fix the treble spike issue i was having before with metal songs, for the time i was able to test them in my lunch break (1 hour-ish), i was able to enjoy my Helmet songs in a much more pleasant way, no eq needed, i'm gonna test it more when i get back home.
Like mentioned here, time and time again, the correct size for them is 110mm, it fits perfectly.
Now, i also ordered an Openheart cable for it, maybe for placebo sake, but some other communities (namely the, "Chi-Fi Corner" group on Facebook) say it helps to bring out the details, doesn't hurt to try, should arrive in a few weeks.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-25 at 15.26.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-25 at 15.51.29.jpeg

One more thing, update on the headband thing with the Aliexpress seller:
Like you guys mentioned, they also asked me to take pictures/videos of how the headband is affecting my use, i already molded it so much that it fits correctly over my head, i don't think i'm gonna bend it back just to get another one.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #200 of 295
Nice and deep. They look good, too.

Speaking of looking good, that Openheart cable is perfect for the Bronze Gold (or sometime Brown) variant.
If only there was a 2.5 mm balanced version, maybe with termination like this

Yeah, the guy that told me about the cable had the gold/brown/bronze one, really looked the part on his one.
I wonder how it would sound on a balanced amplifier, so far i've only heard balanced IEMs

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #201 of 295
Yeah, the guy that told me about the cable had the gold/brown/bronze one, really looked the part on his one.
I wonder how it would sound on a balanced amplifier, so far i've only heard balanced IEMs

Once they ship from the most recent Drop run(Mid-March), I can give a rundown on how they sound off a balanced setup(Schiit Jotenheim Balanced DAC/AMP). Already have the 3.5mm to XLR periapt cable for it. I'm very intrigued to see how they compare to the T20RP's I have. I stopped dailying those due to their foggy/muffled sound signature, and from some videos I've watched on the BL-30's I think they'll be a good point of comparison.

Also, it seems as though the main reason for the all of the ill fitment issues isn't the headband itself(even though it looks like one of the most minimal, uncomfortable headbands ever), but actually a lack of angle between the straight rod and the metal arch.

Blon Angle Issue.pngHE4xx Non-issue angle.png

See how the HE4xx has that ~80 degree angle from the mounting rivet on the arch to the part that fits into the adjustment section? I think this is the main culprit, and the headband fix is just a workable stop-gap solution to the lack of an angled piece at the arch connection. Hopefully that metal rod can be detached from the arch so I can play around with it once I get them.

Edit:

Yea, that must be it. Look at the Audeze and how it has that extra tab to allow the extra angle using the same straight rod the Blon is mimicking. Looks like they missed the boat a little bit trying to achieve the vibe and forgot any sort of angled piece...

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this fix?

Audeze.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #202 of 295
Once they ship from the most recent Drop run(Mid-March), I can give a rundown on how they sound off a balanced setup(Schiit Jotenheim Balanced DAC/AMP). Already have the 3.5mm to XLR periapt cable for it.
Awesome! I'll keep tuned in.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #203 of 295
New earpads are in!
Yeah guys, theeeese seem work well with it, not only they make it much more comfortable than it was before, they fix the treble spike issue i was having before with metal songs, for the time i was able to test them in my lunch break (1 hour-ish), i was able to enjoy my Helmet songs in a much more pleasant way, no eq needed, i'm gonna test it more when i get back home.
Like mentioned here, time and time again, the correct size for them is 110mm, it fits perfectly.
Now, i also ordered an Openheart cable for it, maybe for placebo sake, but some other communities (namely the, "Chi-Fi Corner" group on Facebook) say it helps to bring out the details, doesn't hurt to try, should arrive in a few weeks.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-25 at 15.26.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-25 at 15.51.29.jpeg

One more thing, update on the headband thing with the Aliexpress seller:
Like you guys mentioned, they also asked me to take pictures/videos of how the headband is affecting my use, i already molded it so much that it fits correctly over my head, i don't think i'm gonna bend it back just to get another one.
Where did you order earpads from?

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #204 of 295
Also, it seems as though the main reason for the all of the ill fitment issues isn't the headband itself(even though it looks like one of the most minimal, uncomfortable headbands ever), but actually a lack of angle between the straight rod and the metal arch.

See how the HE4xx has that ~80 degree angle from the mounting rivet on the arch to the part that fits into the adjustment section? I think this is the main culprit, and the headband fix is just a workable stop-gap solution to the lack of an angled piece at the arch connection. Hopefully that metal rod can be detached from the arch so I can play around with it once I get them.

Edit:

Yea, that must be it. Look at the Audeze and how it has that extra tab to allow the extra angle using the same straight rod the Blon is mimicking. Looks like they missed the boat a little bit trying to achieve the vibe and forgot any sort of angled piece...

This was my exact issue, the set I received even had the screw that connected the rod and the arch, which is just a torq screw not a rivet, was really loose. It allowed for that the arch to freely wobble all around. Seeing how they are giving a larger head band kind of makes me sad I returned mine cause I really did like the looks of them and finding a use for the extra Brainwavz pads I have would have been nice. Maybe I will get the next version.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #205 of 295
Once they ship from the most recent Drop run(Mid-March), I can give a rundown on how they sound off a balanced setup(Schiit Jotenheim Balanced DAC/AMP). Already have the 3.5mm to XLR periapt cable for it. I'm very intrigued to see how they compare to the T20RP's I have. I stopped dailying those due to their foggy/muffled sound signature, and from some videos I've watched on the BL-30's I think they'll be a good point of comparison.

Edit:

I found the problem to be a combination of those things. I bent the headband, and bent the flanges that connect to the yokes inward. I posted this video talking about it:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #208 of 295
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11401858.jpg
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11369060.jpeg

The driver magnet is ring shaped, and the middle is covered (plugged) with a plastic lid with small white sticker in middle. Remove that plastic lid and you can freely see the back of driver dome. Reducing air flow to driver is a way to tune/dampen/control the driver. We are undoing this for better and worse.

In the middle of plastic lid is a little white sticker. Peel it off to reveal a hole. Use something to stick in there and pry out the plastic lid (now more like a gasket). I used a small screw driver. Do not stick too deep or you might stab driver dome which would destroy it. Be very careful, not a whole lot of space.

The little holes on driver chassis around the magnet appear to be ventilation as well.
Hi Phil. I appreciate all your posts in multiple forums. I have been following with much anticipation.
I am having trouble removing the vents. When I stick a scew driver and try to pry it open i see the plastic showing signs of distress. I'm afraid to apply any more force. In your post you said it easily pops out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #209 of 295
@BBAPPA

You did remove middle sticker and used revealed hole for leverage? Yes, mine came out easy enough. I used a little tiny thin screwdriver as pry bar, so you can imagine only so much pressure was applied.

Mods have been on hold for awhile, and may be put off forever. Linsoul / BLON will not replace headband without a selfie unfortunately. Ive yet to contact BLON directly. Does anyone have an email address or website link?

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #210 of 295
@BBAPPA

You did remove middle sticker and used revealed hole for leverage? Yes, mine came out easy enough. I used a little tiny thin screwdriver as pry bar, so you can imagine only so much pressure was applied.

Mods have been on hold for awhile, and may be put off forever. Linsoul / BLON will not replace headband without a selfie unfortunately. Ive yet to contact BLON directly. Does anyone have an email address or website link?
Yes. I removed the middle white sticker then angled a small flat screw driver, to pry open, but inonly see the plastic flexing up. Ill try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back