Blind Cable Taste Test RESULTS!
Feb 2, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #556 of 578
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still would like some empirical evidence before accepting fantastic truth claims, don't get me wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Then you really should read this thread from the beginning. There are other threads also discussing the types of experimental design that would be required to provide the empirical data you are looking for. There are also elements of the perceptual experience that could affect results in ways that are not normally expected. The senses are not independent of each other. The reason that you normally hear music in a dentist's office is data that indicated that auditory stimulation raised pain thresholds. There is also data that vision and audition are linked in ways we do not completely understand (IMO at least some of the linkages are through attentional systems, but that's speculation), so we do not know exactly what effect a novel listening environment, particularly where we are subjecting someone to a forced-choice test, will have on auditory perception. If a person is not listening in the way he normally does, do we know if the results of any test have any bearing at all on what the person hears in his own system, listening for pleasure, as opposed to data?

A positive results using DBT is nice. You've got a nice real difference, and it's even interpretable. However, they are also rare. Negative results are another matter. They are common, but I've yet to see one where enough care was taken in the initial design to make a negative result interpretable. I'm not sure that such a design is even possible at this point. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as people understand the limitations of a test going into it. Issues arise when you try and overinterpret a result. Nobody really knows what a negative result on a DBT signifies. Extrapolating a negative result into the conclusion that "there are no differences" is every bit as big an error as someone concluding that a perceived difference is due to physical properties of the cable in the absence of proper blinding (for those who haven't figured this out, I'm actually a DBT proponent, as long as the limitations of any particular experiment are understood).

That said, I still go with my ears. The bottom line for me is that I want to enjoy what I'm listening to. Cables play a very major role to me, and I can define some characteristic sounds of cables I've tried. I can also cite instances where I was unable to produce those differences in DBT. However, if I don't like the sound of a cable in my rig, I'm not going to keep it there for very long due to a comparison that may or may not have any real life validity. Nor will I remove a cable that I like for one that I don't. I'd much rather enjoy what I'm listening to than worry about whether or not any particular test will show a difference. If I've demonstrated the difference to my own very subjective standards, that's enough. It's not science, nor do I pretend it is, but it works for me. I'd like to see the real science done at some point, but I don't need it.

Incidentally, the reason you don't see a lot of cable companies producing tests of auditory differences against other cables is cost, plain and simple. Generating real data is not cheap. A real experiment that met scientific standards for publication, as opposed to amateur science derived from reading internet groups, would costs tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars. A small cable company would be broken by this kind of expediture, and a large company doesn't need it. A company that was selling snake oil wouldn't want it. Don't expect any testing of this kind from the industry.

Feb 4, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #557 of 578
I've always been a bit of a don't know on the topic of cables. My head says don't believe the hype, but my heart says all these guys in the cable industry can't be rogues.

Recently I upgraded my Cd player to a Cyrus 8 which has two outputs, so I can use two different cables and output them to different inputs on the amp (Cyrus 8). Then I can switch between cables using the remote. I've got a selection of cables, some borrowed some mine and checked them out. Basically I struggled to notice any difference between the cables (30$ to 200$), either in ABX mode or listening to whole tracks. This may mean I have crap ears or there was no noticeable difference in my system, either way I now know that, for me, spending shed loads of money on cables is money down the drain. Overall I'm happy with this as it has removed one variable and I can spend more money on speakers where I can notice differences.

Yes I know it's all subjective, but that's the whole point. Most of us listen to music for pleasure, for me there is no increase in pleasure for money spent on cables, but there is on speakers. Just decide what works for you, it won't work for everybody but that's life.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #558 of 578
Philosophy is great if you have the time for it, but I'm a practical person. If I have to read a science book three times and strain to hear an improvement, I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for it. I've found much more effective and efficient ways to improve the sound of my system.

See ya
Steve

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #561 of 578
I fear to tread into this thread reading the last couple of pages, but just one observation. A lot of people are hiding some pretty scathing statements behind an emotocon. I wonder how well this works in general?

I hope everyone who thinks that controlled tests are useless in the audio arena dies in a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #562 of 578
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
emotocon.

I hope everyone who thinks that controlled tests are useless in the audio arena dies in a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Should it be emotion, or is emotocon a word I don't now of?

It's a tough punishment, but fair, none the less
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #564 of 578
I have found very little differences between interconnects when they are:

1-similar length
2-Impedance
3-Capacitance
4-properly terminated

The differences people hear are changes in frequency response due (mostly) to these three things, not quality.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #565 of 578
But then - even in studio recording cable quality is often (over?)emphasized.
And those people are certainly opposite to the 6moons ravers...
Why do they care about cable quality? Does a cable really affect sound in case of huge lengths?

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #566 of 578
Hi PhilS, Hi Hirsch,
you are making reasoned arguments against unreasonable character armoured androids.

Like PhilS, I was a total skeptic because I listened to all the 'received wisdom' or should I say BS because that is what it is. As soon as I started experimenting with making my own I/Cs/power cords, guess what, I found differences and sometimes they were not small.

I hold the skeptics in complete contempt because it is completely impossible to have an 'objective opinion' when you are part of the experiment - go study sub-atomic particle physics.

Are at least some expensive cables snake oil, unquestionably. When someone like myself makes their own cables for what is virtually pennies - the androids never come back with answers - funny that, don't you think? Because they can't trot out their usual pathetic argument about spending lots of money ergo 'it must be good'.

Sovkiller talked about recordings made in the 50s'/60s' what he pointedly did'nt say (perhaps he does'nt know) was that these same recordings were made using valve/tube mikes and ALL the equipment used was analogue. I am lucky enough to own some of these recordings and they can be superb.

They spout like fanatic religious or political freaks about measurements - who listens to the music - the instruments or human beings (the last term is optional).

Most commercial I/Cs are made using wire of a manageable gauge - why - because it is, in manufacturing terms easier to work with larger gauge wire, ergo faster production/lower costs/more profit - that was'nt hard to understand was it?

I build I/Cs using different gauge wires, some of which are damned hard to work with because that is what produces the best/truest sound.

I decided that with my Bada head amp, I would change all the signal wires inside to match my I/Cs, guess what I heard a distinct improvement in detail and immediacy - I was not surprised, as the wire used by the manufacturer was ordinary solid core copper, of a gauge that I have found does not benefit detail.

There is, running through all the naysayers arguments a simple incontrovertible fact - they never make their own cables, which means they have no experience of different gauges/materials, especially dialectrics.

Reading books is fine but until you engage in practice it is all meaningless - remember what the fat man said - all theory should come from practice.

They cling to theory like a dying man. Undoubtedly some have very bad hearing and would never admit this (collapse into chaos). If you have a crap system you will never hear much anyway but the same applies if you have a rigid mind - after all, all audio information is fed to the brain by the very complex mechanism known as - the ear and processed by the individual brain.

So it is true to say that it is the brain that hears rather than the ear. If that brain is rigid or frightened or incapable of hearing anything new - it simply won't matter what audio signal is fed to it.

I have to say that I would love a face-to-face with some of these naysayers, I'm sure I would hugely enjoy the encounter but I'm not sure they would.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #567 of 578
A very long thread, i'm sure it is mention somewhere that length of the IC matters. 1cm silver and copper cable IC would not sound different on any system. Thats why you can notice the difference on speaker system but not on headphone system, or so i read. Just my theory.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #568 of 578
Quote:

Originally Posted by cLy_eVo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very long thread, i'm sure it is mention somewhere that length of the IC matters. 1cm silver and copper cable IC would not sound different on any system. Thats why you can notice the difference on speaker system but not on headphone system, or so i read. Just my theory.

My speakers happen to use shorter cables than my headphone system (and I am still not able to hear a difference), so even aside from the fact that you bumped a 3 year old thread, I think your theory fails.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #569 of 578
i meant like few cm copper IC + 3m stock cable VS few cm silver IC + 3m stock cable would not sound different... if you have a speaker that previously used 3 meter stock cable not pure copper and recable it to jena/vampyre cable of course you would notice the different. of course, i never heard it first hand JMHO.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #570 of 578
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then - even in studio recording cable quality is often (over?)emphasized.
And those people are certainly opposite to the 6moons ravers...
Why do they care about cable quality? Does a cable really affect sound in case of huge lengths?

I'm not sure where this comes from. Recording studios use relatively cheap cables. In general, studio professionals do not engage in the cable debate and do not believe they make any difference whatsoever.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back