Black or silver components?
Dec 23, 2003 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Simple question, but I don't think it's been asked before: do you prefer black or silver components?

I tend to prefer black as long as the faceplate isn't too complex or has too many LEDs (most consumer home theatre receivers are just big and ugly, IMHO). It's a fairly conservative color that's never quite in fashion but never out of fashion (like dark suits). I tend to see silver as more fashionable currently (my gf prefers silver), but I'm not sure how long it will last. Light grey/brown suits, and suits with obvious, large plaids tend to become fashionable and then fizzle out. As far as decor goes, it seems to me that in a darker or earth-toned room, black usually fits in better, but silver tends to work better in bright-toned rooms.

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 46
My CDP, amp, and my monitor stand I use are all black, so I obviously voted for black. If I had some silver stuff anywhere but behind the units, cabling that is, I would prefer silver. It looks nice, but black hides dust and fingerprints better also.

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 46
Ahh, a question I asked myself just today, and had more than a little trouble answering as I placed an order for a new amplifier.

I traditionally prefer black, but I've been seriously thinking of getting the Music Hall MMF-CD25 cdp, which has a silver fascia.

I also live in shadowy basement apartment, and the typical white silkscreened labeling on black components is hard to read in my situation. I decided to go for silver this time, hoping the black lettering on silver would be easier on the eyes.

Black seems to be in fashion for now, but I recall back around the 80's when silver seemed to be all the rage. Then you have Arcam and some others putting black and silver together in the same component, for example, black fascia with silver buttons and knobs.
rolleyes.gif

In the end, I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as it looks good.
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 46
I prefer black. It's kind of funny. We consistently sell at least 3x (maybe even 5x) as many silver units in Asia than black and very seldomly sell silver units in the USA at all. Europe is more of an even mix. I have a feeling that "gun metal" type finishes would be the best choice if a company could only choose one for its entire international distribution.

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
black hides dust and fingerprints better also.

Maybe you have designer dust bunnies in your abode?
confused.gif

I can see the dust on my black components from across the room. [size=xx-small](Yes, I need to dust more often.)[/size] It seems like dust would be less obvious on silver.

Fingerprints are evil either way...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 46
jefemeister - that's probably also why if you're trying to buy a digital camera, in the US the most popular (read -- the ONLY colors available) are usually black or silver. Meanwhile in Asia, the same cameras are available in gunmetal gray, pink, red, blue, green, purple, fuschia, teal, and just about any color under the sun.

That's probably also why headphones in the US are black or silver, while Japan goes crazy with Green L-3000 headphones and cherry wood.

Sigh...

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by General_K
Maybe you have designer dust bunnies in your abode?
confused.gif

I can see the dust on my black components from across the room. [size=xx-small](Yes, I need to dust more often.)[/size] It seems like dust would be less obvious on silver.

Fingerprints are evil either way...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyone with a black car knows that black hardly ever looks good unless it's freshly washed. I agree that black does a much worse job of hiding dust and fingerprints than silver. Any change in "glossiness" (dust, oil from the skin, etc) of a finish is instantly recognizable on black. Perhpas because it provides a starker constrast for the light reflected from it?

Dec 23, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 46
Brushed aluminum or steel looks best to me, or a black ceramic glazed finish. So I suppose that means silver most of the time because I never see the glaze on anything new that isn't priced in the upper stratosphere.

Dec 23, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 46
I prefer black components. I think they look better in an audio rack. Also dust tends to be more noticable on black so you clean the components more often. The more frequent cleaning is probably good for the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back