Black or silver components?
Dec 23, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #31 of 46
a guy i once knew liked black components so much, that he was thinking about getting his hp-1's anodized black. i still think it's an awesome idea, though i'm afraid it'd impact the sound.

few things are more beautiful than black brushed aluminum.

system-stax-640.jpg

Dec 23, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #34 of 46
General_K is right. In the early 80's very few consumer components came in black. Black was reserved for pro products.

Manufacturers started taking advantage of this by switching to black (giving the impression their consumer products were better...like pro equipment...the low end Nikko brand was an example of this), and by the end of the 80's it was difficult to find silver consumer components as everything had turned into black.

Many distributors/dealers started to complain that with everything black, it was hard to distinguish between brands and especially between mid-fi and hi-products. At this time, to set their higher end equipment apart, some manufactures switched to champagne or back to silver and even gold. (Nak even released a limited edition gold plated Dragon cassette deck). Wood cases disappeared for the most part in the 80's as well (mostly for cost savings) but were sometimes offered as walnut or rosewood accessories

Funny how trends and perceptions can change. I have some older high end Lux equipment in silver and more modern Bryston and Sony ES equipment in Black. I like both.

Dec 24, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
jefemeister - that's probably also why if you're trying to buy a digital camera, in the US the most popular (read -- the ONLY colors available) are usually black or silver. Meanwhile in Asia, the same cameras are available in gunmetal gray, pink, red, blue, green, purple, fuschia, teal, and just about any color under the sun.

That's probably also why headphones in the US are black or silver, while Japan goes crazy with Green L-3000 headphones and cherry wood.

Sigh...

Yeah, the Asians have all the fun. . .

I thought Linn was really on to something when they offered multiple colors for their components. I don't think they do it anymore (but not sure) so perhaps it didn't really work out.

Dec 25, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #42 of 46
Black Or Silver?

Doesn't really matter to me. As long as it sounds good and is functional then i'm happy.

My system is a mix of Black (about 50-60% of my gear). Stainless steel (Sugden Headmaster)
Silver (philips dvd+r)
Champagne Gold (Pioneer DVD + Sony DAB)
Gunmetal Grey (Krell DAC)
Chrome (Racking and Tube Amps)

Speakers are Rosewood, Matt Black, Dark Apple and Cherry

A right mishmash of colour but i'm highly delighted with it
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #44 of 46
no matter what color the unit is, I want the CD/DVD tray internals to be black.

I prefer non-black remotes because they are easier to find.

I want LEDs that can be dimmed or turned off. Red LEDs are not an option. They should be very light blue to very light green.

If possible there should not be a power LED, especially if it is Red.

Black components look better in the dark (like when watching DVDs) since you can't see them.

There's black, and then there is shiny black. I prefer shiny black because it tends to look like painted metal.

mixed silver components tend to look a little tacky. some have brown tinges to them, some have gold tinges to them, some have shiny silver tinges to them.

Silver looks great on slim components, whereas black looks better on "fat" faced components.

I hate white lettering on black components, especially as the model name is usually in gold. make them all silver or all gold, please.

Dec 25, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #45 of 46
Fake silver reeks of "Sony style" to me, but brushed aluminum is okay. I prefer black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back