Black Gate standard on a Pimeta
Jan 28, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroes
I dont know if these are the one: 1000uf and 1500uf

They both have FM in description. I might get the 1500uf for my PIMETA, is it a good choice? overkill? or should I just get the 1000uf instead?

EDIT: To get the complete list type "EEU-FM1E" on the part search.

Specs LINK

The Pana FMs seem superior to FCs, FM Impedance is only half of FC and ripple current is much higher. I've used FCs so far but will switch to FM with my next project. I'd rather take 2x680uF than 1x1500uF

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
The Pana FMs seem superior to FCs, FM Impedance is only half of FC and ripple current is much higher. I've used FCs so far but will switch to FM with my next project. I'd rather take 2x680uF than 1x1500uF

By looking at the specs, how's this PANA compared to Silmics?

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #18 of 36
nr200304MC002_e.jpg

Panasonic FM (from matsu****a/pansonic site)

edit.. m a t s u crap a (lol)

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 36
even for the same capacitance the Silmics have only a fraction of the ribble current of the Panas, for the same size the Silimic capacitances are much lower, so you get even less ...

I found no data to Impedance in the Silmic datasheet, so I cannot comment on this.

To me it seems Silmics are designed in the first line to be put in the signal path (low distortion, low tangent of loss angle) and not for supply bypass.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 36
Hey,

How come no one say anything about Sanyo OSCON? They are pretty darn good. This thing is designed for supply line of switching PSUs or to bypass those chips on your motherboard.

Also, Tantalum caps are great for bypassing as well. AVX stuff is pretty good.

Tomo

P.S. Ceramics are convenient in some applications, so you should have few in your boxs of toys. Any mil-specs are great, but RadioShack stuff arent so bad.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo
How come no one say anything about Sanyo OSCON? They are pretty darn good. This thing is designed for supply line of switching PSUs or to bypass those chips on your motherboard.

I've never been able to find a source.

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #23 of 36
Jan 28, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 36
I wish there could be like one number that definitively determines the quality of the sound so I could choose my caps on objective quantities rather than subjective qualities. A unit of measurment like that would take all the guess work out of hi-fi.

When will someone discover the unified theory of hi-fi audio?

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
I wish there could be like one number that definitively determines the quality of the sound so I could choose my caps on objective quantities rather than subjective qualities. A unit of measurment like that would take all the guess work out of hi-fi.

Sound is complicated. It would be impossible to summarize it into a bunch of numbers.

I rather like it being subjective and the fact that all this is DIY means you can try to your hearts content. I'm rather satisfied with figuring out what good for me instead of other people/charts.

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Cerafines before they were discontinued <snipped>

As far as I know, the Cerafines that are talked about here (the ROA series) have not been discontinued. The Cerafines that were discontinued were the high voltage large can stuff (for tubes, 350V and 500V, similar to the BlackGate WZ series... there are still a couple I could use
confused.gif
). The ROAs still appear on Elna's website (last time I looked).

In addition to Welborne, Angela has a few Cerafines also, btw.

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
I started pricing other electrolytics and I came across one Ive heard people raving about before: Black Gate. Theyre not as expensive as I thought so now Im considering using them in my Pimeta. The price of four of them isnt a big deal but I am concerned about the price/quality ratio. I dont want to spend $25 if I can spend $5 and only kind of hear the difference.
Would the increase in sound quality be worth the increase in price for the Black Gate standard series or is my money best spent elsewhere?

Black Gates will cost you. Not to mention that it appears their production is going to stop sometime soon. The Black Gate standards are not really any better than the typical mass production capacitors from companies such as Panasonic. However, if you step up to the FK series or N series, there is a difference in quality; you decide on what attribute "quality" describes. Unfortunately, these capacitors are more expensive and looking at the bang for buck factor I would consider them lower on the list of things to upgrade.

Now, speaking of bang for the buck, it looks like the ELNA Silmic II group buy is going to happen. The capacitors of interest seem to be 220 µF/35 V and 100 µF/35 V. Their cost in quantity is $1.02 ea. for the 220's and $0.30 ea. for the 100's. I consider this a deal that is too good to pass up. You ought to look into it and see if these values can work for you. If they will not, you could probably use them for another project later. Else go with the Panasonic FM's or FC's. Just make sure the physical size of the capacitor is acceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
The Elna SILMIC IIs are probably just as good, and aren't expensive either (compared to BGs). I find the Cerafines to sound different than the Panasonic FCs I had in my last pimeta. Maybe a tad warmer.

Some people claim the Silmic's actually sound somewhat better than the Cerafines. I can not corroborate this claim, but have read it several places. I will have to agree with steinchen though, that from what the data sheets say, the Silmics seem optimized for signal path usage. However, I would like to point out, that ripple current for most headphone amplifiers is not as significant as for other forms of circuits. Possibly this lower ripple current rating could constitute some of the pleasant qualities that some people find desirable.

It's all a matter of personal taste, though.

Later,

Feb 5, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #28 of 36
has anybody tried Nichicon HE for their power supply? I've read an old post at audio asylum from John Marsh who found that panasonic fc's do not meet their ratings. He indicated that Nichicon HE's rate almost as well as OSCONS.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...on+HE&session=

But just because they are good for power supplies does not mean that they would sound good in the audio path. Some people, including myself, have found panasonic fc's to be bright compared to elna.

Quote:

Also, Tantalum caps are great for bypassing as well.

I would recommend using something else like metalized film or polyprop for bypassing, tantalums are not very good for audio.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...15&postcount=4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back