Black Gate standard on a Pimeta
Jan 28, 2005 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Okkler

New Head-Fier
All my parts from Tangent came in today and I was ready to start on my Pimeta when I realized the electrolytics I used on a previous project are no good.

I started pricing other electrolytics and I came across one Ive heard people raving about before: Black Gate. Theyre not as expensive as I thought so now Im considering using them in my Pimeta. The price of four of them isnt a big deal but I am concerned about the price/quality ratio. I dont want to spend $25 if I can spend $5 and only kind of hear the difference.
Would the increase in sound quality be worth the increase in price for the Black Gate standard series or is my money best spent elsewhere?

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 36
Forget BGs for a pimeta. Pana FC caps are plenty good enough. If you want to use premium audio-grade caps, use Elna SILMIC IIs or Cerafines (if you can find any Cerafines).

My pimeta has four 470uF 25V Elna Cerafines in it and they are the biggest part the board can take without having the caps hanging off the board.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 36
I've been told many times that the Pany FM's are newer and better than the FC's. That would be my budget choice.

One reads many comments from the design teams, e.g. Morsel w/ PPAv2, that they're just humoring us in making space for boutique caps, the Pany FM's might actually be better than fancy caps costing 10x as much.

Anyhow, from my reading, the FMs, Elna's, and Black Gates are a dead heat until I hear otherwise.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 36
If you want the bling bling in your Pimeta, Cerafines are a fine choice, with their candy red color.
biggrin.gif

Where did you buy your Cerafines from, Aeriyn?

-Ed

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 36
Thanks for all the opinions and for saving me all that money.

I think the BGs are a bad idea being too expensive. Im heavily leaning toward the FMs.

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
If you want the bling bling in your Pimeta, Cerafines are a fine choice, with their candy red color.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Thrice sold me four of the 470uF 25V flavors. I think MisterX has some, too. They're discontinued, I know that.

I haven't used the Panasonic FM eletrolytics yet. Perhaps I'll use those on my next build... hmmm...

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
biggrin.gif

-Ed

IMO, the black and gold with red lettering of the Panisonic FMs look better.
600smile.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
dont welborne still have them?

Yes, but they're not exactly cheap. Cerafines before they were discontinued were only slightly more expensive than Pana FC/FM.

The Elna SILMIC IIs are probably just as good, and aren't expensive either (compared to BGs). I find the Cerafines to sound different than the Panasonic FCs I had in my last pimeta. Maybe a tad warmer.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
I've been told many times that the Pany FM's are newer and better than the FC's. That would be my budget choice.

One reads many comments from the design teams, e.g. Morsel w/ PPAv2, that they're just humoring us in making space for boutique caps, the Pany FM's might actually be better than fancy caps costing 10x as much.

Anyhow, from my reading, the FMs, Elna's, and Black Gates are a dead heat until I hear otherwise.

Links to panasonic FM caps plz, digikey, mouser?

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 36
Why doesn't anyone here really consider the Nichicon KZ and FG? They are supposedly decent and are available from Handmade for around the price of Panasonics. Not really sure how they compare. I have some here, but havent used them.

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 36
I dont know if these are the one: 1000uf and 1500uf

They both have FM in description. I might get the 1500uf for my PIMETA, is it a good choice? overkill? or should I just get the 1000uf instead?

EDIT: To get the complete list type "EEU-FM1E" on the part search.

Specs LINK

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Why doesn't anyone here really consider the Nichicon KZ and FG?

Size and they don't perform a whole lot better then the Panasonics do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Cerafines before they were discontinued were only slightly more expensive than Pana FC/FM.

When were they discontinued?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back