Black gate caps and vishay bulk foil resistors
Jun 21, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #16 of 61
i am playing with the rubycon za/zl series caps. i hear little difference over the nichicon FG's or panasonic Fc's.

although admittedly, i havent used them in the signal path, only ever in power rails. and i like to think i listen more to my music then my components
orphsmile.gif
have done so since ive been surprised by unseen (hesitate to call it blind) testing, and the placebo effect
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

although admittedly, i havent used them in the signal path, only ever in power rails. and i like to think i listen more to my music then my components have done so since ive been surprised by unseen (hesitate to call it blind) testing, and the placebo effect

You are in the wrong forum Bub !

We will not have rational thought mucking up the place dammit !

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 61
oh sorry, i need to go find some black gates and holco's for a cmoy then. will that redeem my membership?
3000smile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

oh sorry, i need to go find some black gates and holco's for a cmoy then. will that redeem my membership?

Too late man !

I already know what you are up to and now must look at your posts in a different light.We can not have anyone in the DIY forum that feels spending $20 for a capacitor to go with a $0.02 circuit without ever having compared parts themself in a circuit is not perfectly normal
tongue.gif

I am watching you now so walk easy
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 61
I compared well run in Elna Cerafine,Silmic,Starget,Nichicon Muse,Fine gold,Rubycon ZA,BG FK,N caps for the cathode bypasses in my tube amp.

The BG's was easily the best but most expensive, the Stargets and Fine golds sounded nice too though for a cheap cap

Problem with the BG's is that they need a while to warm up if the amp had been switched off for a while.

Caddocks are normally my favourite resistor for the signal, I don't like Holco H8's, some of the newer ones use steel end caps

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Problem with the BG's is that they need a while to warm up if the amp had been switched off for a while.

a good reason to keep gear with BGs fired up at all times.Sadly that is not possible with triode gear so dealing with a 40 minute warmup period goes with the territory but with the majority of SS line level gear the best way to fly.

another thing-the break in time must be repeated if the gear is off for extended periods with the BG caps.A serious case of no free rides and to get something (the sound quality) you give up something (convenience)

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 61
Thanks all - what about those vishay low ppm resistors? Can anything esle get close or better for much cheaper? Caddock or holcro? I have heard that vishay are cheaper from vishays licensed manufacturers - anyone know anything about that?

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by biovizier
Thanks all - what about those vishay low ppm resistors? Can anything esle get close or better for much cheaper? Caddock or holcro? I have heard that vishay are cheaper from vishays licensed manufacturers - anyone know anything about that?

Yes Nick,

The Trueohms are identical to the vishays but a quarter of the price.

Even cheaper are the Meggitt Holsworthy H8BY series.... Rapid have them on special offer at the moment. again, they are the same as the Vishay.

Mike.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 61
Dr White seems to think the temp coeff ppm is as important or more important than tolerences. The true ohm are about 15ppm as opposed to 1-6 ppm for the vishay. Anything else come close? Putting them in the headamp isnt too bad but the phono and especially the volco (24 step balanced stepped attenuator!!) will be expensive! Its maninly resistor cost rather than cap cost.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Dr White seems to think the temp coeff ppm is as important or more important than tolerences. The true ohm are about 15ppm as opposed to 1-6 ppm for the vishay. Anything else come close? Putting them in the headamp isnt too bad but the phono and especially the volco (24 step balanced stepped attenuator!!) will be expensive! Its maninly resistor cost rather than cap cost.

Sorry, didn't realise you were referring to "bulk foil" resistors... 15ppm is pretty low and I doubt you'll "hear" any difference in the headamp going from 15ppm to 5ppm.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 61
Yeah especially the 20 step balanced attenuator which contains 80 resistors only 4 of which will be used at any one time and only 1 of those will be in each signal path (l/r/hot/cold). Which will cost about £500. Its hard to beleive replacing one resistor in each balanced channels signal path can have much of an effect for that outlay. Dr White seems to think BG and vishy are 50% better in terms of sound than welwyn, nichicon and rubicon za/zl but what does that translate to in terms of improving the performance of the unit?

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
What the hell are those unmarked chome-looking caps in that picture? I wish I had an amp with parts that shiny.

Jacket-less caps ? just cut off the shrink-wrapping with a knife.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Dr White seems to think BG and vishy are 50% better in terms of sound than welwyn, nichicon and rubicon za/zl but what does that translate to in terms of improving the performance of the unit?

It mostly sounds like he started out constructing the amp from the "best available parts", as in the parts that are the highest regarded stuff. Now he has a paranoia about using the slightly cheaper components. The difference - I'll say bollocks. To really change the impact of the components that drastically you'll need to use a new amplifier design/topology.

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
It mostly sounds like he started out constructing the amp from the "best available parts", as in the parts that are the highest regarded stuff. Now he has a paranoia about using the slightly cheaper components. The difference - I'll say bollocks. To really change the impact of the components that drastically you'll need to use a new amplifier design/topology.

What he said.

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
What the hell are those unmarked chome-looking caps in that picture? I wish I had an amp with parts that shiny.

Strip the jacket off and polish with Brasso.. the caps look great fully polished
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back