Bitten By Ety Bug???
Aug 30, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
mercuttio,
welcome. soon your ears will be melded into the etymotics' seductive neutrality. eventually all other headphones will suffer in comparison.

Eeep! *coddles the RS1 and pets it in the corner*

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #62 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
If you want to know why people reacted negatively to your posts, perhaps you should look back at the comment you posted in this thread on the first page:

That's called thread crapping. You offered nothing of substance to add to the discussion -- just some unsbstantiated suggestion that Etymotic has kept its market share in the IEM business with an outdated product by paying off bloggers to post positive reviews. You should hardly be surprised at the reaction you got.

And just to make one thing clear about any bias I might have, although I love my Ety's, I'm spending much more portable time these days with my Shure E4 amped out of a Hornet. And I also wish that there was an ergonomic update to the Ety line. But I wouldn't change a thing about the way they sound.

Seriously

That was a joke... LOL. You Etyheads are waaaay too serious.

BTW, why are you spending more time on your E4? Microphonics? I'm tempted by the Hornet... what's your source? How do they mate with your ER4s?

Tuarreg

Tuarreg

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #63 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg
Seriously

That was a joke... LOL. You Etyheads are waaaay too serious.

BTW, why are you spending more time on your E4? Microphonics? I'm tempted by the Hornet... what's your source? How do they mate with your ER4s?

Tuarreg

Tuarreg

the er4s + sr-71 is an amazing combo.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #65 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
the er4s + sr-71 is an amazing combo.

How does the sr71 compare to the Hornet? I plan to use amp with ipod 5g and E500.

Tuarreg

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #66 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg
How does the sr71 compare to the Hornet? I plan to use amp with ipod 5g and E50.

Tuarreg

the hornet sounded very, very good for the size, but colored compared to the sr-71.

/this is with the rig in my sig.

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #68 of 82
Okay, some random thoughts on the ER-4P. While I am not thrilled about how far they stick out of your ears, the overall build quality of these is much nicer than I was expecting and I'm okay with the fit. I think I like the cord just as much as the Shures. I don't run or jump around so microphonics are not an issue for me.

Perhaps it is my ear type but I find very little difference in sound with different Ety tip types versus different Shure tips. The clarity and detail on these ER-4P's is astonishing but I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone. In fact, if you took 50 random people off the street and fitted them with E4 and ER-4P, I think majority would go with the Shures. But that is not saying the Shures are better. I do not find ER-4P to be fatiguing or harsh at all. I actually made this switch (from E4's) after hearing the more detailed ER-6i's and felt I had to take the full plunge to ER-4P. It's like hearing Ety's almost ruined the E4 experience for me in some respect. There was nothing I didn't like about E4 until I heard Ety. All of the sudden E4 wasn't enough detail anymore. Go figure. It's hard to explain. It's like the E4 experience is like listening to a concert at a "dark" smallish (great acoustics) auditorium, 10th row center while the ER-4P is like sitting on a chair in the middle of the band in the recording studio. I'm not sure I could say one is better than the other. There is a lot to like about both and very little to dislike about both as well (IMHO). I think the "weaknesses" of each are easy to overcome. I will say that I think the ER-4P sounds better unamped straight out of a Nano (rock setting). The E4's are almost too warm out of the Nano and veils the highs a little too much for me.

With comparisons to ER-6i, as many have stated, the main difference I notice is slightly harsher highs on ER-6i (but certainly not bad) and weaker build quality. I will keep the ER-6i's as a back-up pair or use in harsher, hotter, sweatier environments. Tough to beat for $90.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #69 of 82
If they stick out, you're not putting them in far enough! The stress reducer thing on the cable should be touching your outer ear. When you look in the mirror, those should be the only things you see.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #70 of 82
There's no denying that the ER4 look goofier than the E4...for me anyway. The way that the E4 fit, looking much more stealthy is one thing I favor over the ER4. The E4 cable does seem to be a little more heavy-duty...without the microphonic issue.

I insert the ER4 as deep as possible, sometimes a little too deep ~ouch. They still look like they "stick out"

Spyro,

I have pretty much the same thoughts as you when comparing the two.

For me they are both keepers but I consider my E4 as the backup.
etysmile.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
The harder/farther I pushed them in I seemed to be getting too much of a suction or vacuum to the seal. Definitely wasn't right.

You're using the silicone tips then?

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #73 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
The harder/farther I pushed them in I seemed to be getting too much of a suction or vacuum to the seal. Definitely wasn't right.

spyro, check the link in my sig for some ideas.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #74 of 82
Hi all,

I was wondering whether the er-4p without the p-s cable would be alright for use with an amp, specifically the pa2v2 out of a sik ram din for portable use. I'm not quite sure I want to spend another 50 bucks on the p-s cable until Justin releases the new AE-1 refresh :p Does anyone have some experience with this issue? Thanks

-elf

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #75 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilelfboi
Hi all,

I was wondering whether the er-4p without the p-s cable would be alright for use with an amp, specifically the pa2v2 out of a sik ram din for portable use. I'm not quite sure I want to spend another 50 bucks on the p-s cable until Justin releases the new AE-1 refresh :p Does anyone have some experience with this issue? Thanks

-elf

My ER4P sound great amped with my PA2v2.

I use a Zen Vision:M and line out. Using my SuperMini with the 75 Ohms added(P>S), I couldn't hear much difference although I didn't spend a lot of time trying to compare...even so I use the added impedance because it's been said that it sounds better. The bad thing is the added impedance doesn't play nice with my E4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back