BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Jul 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #226 of 801

Quote:
I've been using the betas of Lion for a while, shouldn't be any Lion specific problems.

Just tried and it seems to be working fine on Lion.  I'm actually still using BetterSound.  Have you found a fix for the bug I've been talking about where it plays a second of other track? Only last two version of BitPerfect have this issue.   Would like to be using latest version but that bug is just a distraction.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #227 of 801

Quote:
Just tried and it seems to be working fine on Lion.  I'm actually still using BetterSound.  Have you found a fix for the bug I've been talking about where it plays a second of other track? Only last two version of BitPerfect have this issue.   Would like to be using latest version but that bug is just a distraction.

I haven't got this problem. Does it happen with every track? Does it happen with the built-in output or only with an external dac?

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #228 of 801

Quote:
I haven't got this problem. Does it happen with every track? Does it happen with the built-in output or only with an external dac?

For some reason it's acting different on Lion.  Now it's just leaving a 10 second gap between tracks on all tracks.  This happens with or without a DAC hooked up.  Still getting perfect playback from BetterSound.  Let me know if need to send any system info.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #229 of 801
Sorry for the long delay in getting out a new version, real work/life caught up to me, then I was out of the country for a week and then sick.

Without further ado, here's the new version (0.25).

Changes include:
  1. Do not attempt to mute if the device has no volume control
  2. Fix sound dropping in the middle of a track (I hope!)
  3. Fix high CPU/memory usage when rapidly switching between tracks or seeking
  4. Fix stutter when doing "Get Info" in iTunes on slower machines
  5. Fix memory leak
  6. Fix preferences and device info containing stale data
  7. Fix potential crash (occurs more frequently on Lion)
  8. Fix not resuming podcasts
  9. Fix failure to seek to end of file if it is being downsampled
  10. Fix failure to play to end of file if it is being downsampled

I'm really hoping this fixes the issues with sound dropping out in the middle of tracks that has plagued BitPerfect for the last few versions. I've just been bug fixing, not doing enough testing, so this might be a little rough around the edges... let me know if it works for you... especially if you suffered from the sound drop outs!

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #230 of 801
You linked to the source repository, not the compiled executable.

EDIT: Or maybe that's just the way google docs is showing it to me. I see the contents of the .app file rather than an app to download.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #232 of 801
Newest build didn't fix my problem.  I don't have 10 sec delay anymore but have weird skipping bug again.  So I haven't had successful gapless playback yet. When I first started it was actually skipping ahead 5 tracks.  I'll send the console info and see if it helps.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #233 of 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Without further ado, here's the new version (0.25).

Just noticed this version has a silly bug. It will keep repeating the same buffer over and over. Will post a new build tonight.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #234 of 801
New version (0.26) available here.

Only change is to fix repeating the same buffer over and over. I still haven't heard from anyone with the sudden sound drop out problem... does that mean it's fixed?

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #235 of 801
build 0.26 keeps crashing at the end of the very first song.

It also seems that the latest build has a lot of issues with  with hi-res Apple lossless files. i have a lot of 96khz apple lossless music. it wasn't this bad when i was using build 0.24

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #236 of 801
Had tried the newest version (0.26) and no sudden sound drop problem noted.
However, itunes got a big noise (like the sound came from poor-signal radio) when it started playing the next song.
I'm using Wyred4Sound DAC2 (through USB) as DAC under itunes 10.3.1, Mac OSX 10.6.8
Hope this bug can be fixed and I can finally get rid of buggy Amarra.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #237 of 801

Quote:
Had tried the newest version (0.26) and no sudden sound drop problem noted.
However, itunes got a big noise (like the sound came from poor-signal radio) when it started playing the next song.
I'm using Wyred4Sound DAC2 (through USB) as DAC under itunes 10.3.1, Mac OSX 10.6.8
Hope this bug can be fixed and I can finally get rid of buggy Amarra.

Thanks for the bug report. Are you running the DAC in Integer mode? If so, while BitPerfect is playing the loud static noise, open the "Device Info" screen and send me the output by PM or e-mail and I'll see what I can do!

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #238 of 801
Thanks for the work; it is getting better and better.

I have noticed two other bugs:

1) when I move the volume on iTunes, I cam shorty hear the sound though another output. My default sound output is "built-in output". The built-in output is connected (via toslink) to my DAC. The same output is used by BitPerfect. I also have an USB imic connected to small speaker (for the the system alerts). Surprisingly, while moving the volume level on Itunes, the sound  is shorty routed to the iMic (unless it is to the internal speakers of the mac, which should be desactivated...). Curious, but not a real problem...

2) some files do hang iTunes (always at the same files, always at the same moment). Colored turning wheel - the only - way is to force to quit itunes. I noticed it only with some files. which were bought on the Itunes store. The problem does not occur while playing the same files without BitPerfect. If you think it may help, I could send you one of these file (let me know where to send or to download - the file is 8.7 Mo) or I could send you a copy of the apple bug report while forcing to quit iTunes.

I also have another problem that BitPerfect sometimes stop playing (without hanging iTunes), after a while playing, but I have difficulties reproducing this one. At least it is not linked to the files. Maybe I should check the memory use...

By the way, did you find a way to allow BitPerfect to play steamed contents in the ITunes store or streamed MP3 of online radios ?

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #239 of 801

Quote:
Thanks for the work; it is getting better and better.

I have noticed two other bugs:

1) when I move the volume on iTunes, I cam shorty hear the sound though another output. My default sound output is "built-in output". The built-in output is connected (via toslink) to my DAC. The same output is used by BitPerfect. I also have an USB imic connected to small speaker (for the the system alerts). Surprisingly, while moving the volume level on Itunes, the sound  is shorty routed to the iMic (unless it is to the internal speakers of the mac, which should be desactivated...). Curious, but not a real problem...

2) some files do hang iTunes (always at the same files, always at the same moment). Colored turning wheel - the only - way is to force to quit itunes. I noticed it only with some files. which were bought on the Itunes store. The problem does not occur while playing the same files without BitPerfect. If you think it may help, I could send you one of these file (let me know where to send or to download - the file is 8.7 Mo) or I could send you a copy of the apple bug report while forcing to quit iTunes.

I also have another problem that BitPerfect sometimes stop playing (without hanging iTunes), after a while playing, but I have difficulties reproducing this one. At least it is not linked to the files. Maybe I should check the memory use...

By the way, did you find a way to allow BitPerfect to play steamed contents in the ITunes store or streamed MP3 of online radios ?

1) This is expected. Once you start dragging the volume control in iTunes, iTunes unmutes itself, so it will play sound to whatever the new default device is, since BitPerfect has taken built-in output, it will be the iMic.

2) A copy of the bug report as well as a file would be really helpful. I think you can send an 8Mb attachment to gmail, so you can e-mail it to me at bitperfectsound@gmail.com

When BitPerfect stops playing, does switching to the next track cause it to start again? Next time this happens, it would be helpful if you could PM or e-mail me the output from "Console".

I haven't looked into playing streaming contents on the iTunes store yet, or online radios. I'll try to get around to that soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back