BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #91 of 801

Quote:

Because BetterSound takes control of the sound card, no other programs can access it. My guess is that MSN expects to have access to the sound card, when it doesn't, it crashes.

If I'm right, you can workaround this by installing a virtual sound card like Soundflower. In that case, BetterSound will take over your real sound card and play music, and MSN will output sound into the virtual sound card. You won't hear any sound from MSN, but hopefully it won't crash.

Alright I see what you mean. Don't need sound from MSN anyway, so will give Soundflower a bash soon. Thanks!

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #92 of 801
Congratulations on the great work agentsim! I've been giving BetterSound a try in the last few days and am seriously impressed...
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #94 of 801

Quote:
Hi, Agentsim

I'm using Metric Halo LIO-8.
But LIO-8 doesn't appear on sound preference.

And, I'm testing JACK OS X,
JACK doesn't appear too...

I haven't tried JACK, so I don't know if it should work or not.

As for the Metric Halo, it is possible that it is not a supported DAC. This is actually good news for me I can finally start improving support for non-standard DACS... if you don't mind, I'd like to get some debug info from you. I'll send you a PM with a special build and some requests.

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #96 of 801
I've just noticed the name "BetterSound" is already in use by a Preferences pane plug-in. I'm considering renaming the software to "BitPerfect", what do you guys think... have any better ideas?

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #97 of 801
have been using Audirvana for quite a while, and thought that i will give BetterSound a try. WOW...seriously impressed. Great work!!! :)
haven't had any issue with my Audio-GD DI. The sound is GREAT.

BitPerfect is a very generic term. Personally i don't think that it will work well. How about "PerfectTune" or "BetterTune"? hints the tide between your app with iTunes, which is one of the best features. :)

Two suggestions:

1. it would be great if BetterSound could release the exclusive control of the sound device once the music stops. this way ppl don't have to quit the app in order to use other app. 

2. change the appearance of the icon on the menu bar to indicate that BetterSound is active. Just so ppl know that it's really BetterSound that is handling the sound output, not iTunes. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #98 of 801

Quote:
have been using Audirvana for quite a while, and thought that i will give BetterSound a try. WOW...seriously impressed. Great work!!! :)
haven't had any issue with my Audio-GD DI. The sound is GREAT.

BitPerfect is a very generic term. Personally i don't think that it will work well. How about "PerfectTune" or "BetterTune"? hints the tide between your app with iTunes, which is one of the best features. :)

Two suggestions:

1. it would be great if BetterSound could release the exclusive control of the sound device once the music stops. this way ppl don't have to quit the app in order to use other app. 

2. change the appearance of the icon on the menu bar to indicate that BetterSound is active. Just so ppl know that it's really BetterSound that is handling the sound output, not iTunes. 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're liking BetterSound.

1) It should already be doing this! Note, if iTunes is paused, the sound device isn't released, only when it is stopped. It isn't always obvious which state iTunes is in.
2) That's a cool idea... I'll have to bug my gfx designer. So Doug, what do you think?
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #99 of 801
Bettersound seems to cooperate with iTunes and PureMusic (upsampling 16/44 ALAC to 24/96 into a Firestone Bravo) really well, I can even throw AstoundSound into the mix without a hitch. Pretty neat, I'll have to give the Octoshape stuff a go sometime.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #103 of 801

Quote:
i bet that's the integer mode causing this. i had the same issue with Audirvana playing through HM-602. uncheck integer mode should do the trick.

Probably.  This is apparently a bug in the Mac USB audio driver - every 17,684 frames, it sends a null value instead of the "right" one.  If you're listening to 44.1k music, the tick occurs about 2.5 x sec - if listening to higher bitrates, the tick happens faster.  Only causes a problem in "raw" / integer mode, and only on certain hardware combinations (e.g., older Macs talking to USB-powered DACs).  Workaround is not to use integer mode *or* to insert a powered USB hub between the Mac and the DAC (which is what I do).  I decided to use the powered hub because I think I can hear the difference between "float" and integer mode and putting the hub in there eliminates the ticking *and* keeps the integer "goodness"  :wink:

My understanding is the bug has been reported to Apple.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #104 of 801

Quote:
i bet that's the integer mode causing this. i had the same issue with Audirvana playing through HM-602. uncheck integer mode should do the trick.

That's seems to have worked, thanks. One has to switch off integer mode before turning on iTunes. I had the same problem on Audirvana 0.9.4.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #105 of 801
That's odd. I've had a fiddle and now there is no tick using integer mode with upsampling. Does outputting in max bit death make a difference to the sound?

Edit: Tracks are restarting half way through
blink.gif
. I shall increase buffer size and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back