Bit Perfect Audio from Linux
Jul 11, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #421 of 543
I'm still getting the intermittent MPD errors, it appears as if sometime MPD is listening on the port, and sometimes it is not. I'm not sure what the cause is. On MPDroid I get the EHOSTUNREACH error. The MPD log gives:

Jul 09 23:35 : client: [0] opened from 127.0.0.1:37398
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:frowning2:snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_plug.so

Errors.

Perhaps what's happening is simpler -- maybe the computer decides to turn off ports when nobody is logged in? That would make sense, for power conservation... There could be something like that going on in BIOS, and perhaps some configuration issues like that in Linux as well. Will poke around...

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #423 of 543
Yes, channels 0-7 are reserved for other signals with the usbstreamer.   8 and 9 are for the stereo signals.   If you know a simpler configuration that would work, I'm all ears. 

The usbstreamer is a pretty versatile thing, designed for more than stereo output, as far as I can tell. 

I'm starting to think the ALSA error above is that mpd is currently configured to be launched only when a user is logged into a GUI session.  Or ports are closed if there's no user logged in.  Something like that.  It is starting to look like the latter.  mpd is unresponsive when I reboot the music server, but if I log in (even with no GUI) mpd is enabled.  Same with ssh.   

So I think I need to move mpd and ssh to a different autostart position.   I ?think? this just entails moving files between the various /etc/rc?.d directories... but this requires some care as I'd rather not disable my music server. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #424 of 543
Oh!  I think it's a far simpler problem.  My LUbuntu box is currently connected to the network via wifi.  And wifi is only configured for users, it's not set-up system-wide.  Ha.   Okay, so now I just have to tell it to connect to the wifi on boot. . . That might require restarting ssh and mpd but that's okay. 

Solution: log into the LUbuntu GUI.  Click on the network connections, edit wifi.  Click on "all users can use this".  Reboot.  Done.  ssh and mpd are available on boot-up now. 

Sigh.  That was far simpler than I thought it might be. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #425 of 543
Anyone knows how to make Spotify use my USB DAC without involving Pulse, straight through ALSA?

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #427 of 543
Alsa is best choice, but unfortunately clementine in recent versions disabled ALSA support. I use some pulseaudio tweak for acceptable sound.

Change /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

comment: resample-method = speex-float-1
insert: resample-method = copy

comment: default-sample-format = s16le
insert: default-sample-format = float32se (may be s24le)

change:
default-sample-rate = 44100
alternate-sample-rate = 192000

Restart pulseaudio in command line: pulseaudio -k
as a result the sound quality will be comparable with ALSA.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #428 of 543
  Alsa is best choice, but unfortunately clementine in recent versions disabled ALSA support. I use some pulseaudio tweak for acceptable sound.

You are using pulseaudio in this case, not just ALSA.
You may try deadbeaf player. It can play directly to ALSA devices.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #430 of 543
  Hi

Can you please share what USB sounds cards with SPDIF/optical or coaxial digital output you use on Linux (ALSA) that you know works. Thanks!

Hi, any card with XMOS chip will work fine.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #432 of 543
Can you give me at least one example so that I have something to start with my research,? Thanks!

Let manage it by following way - what is your goal? What do you want to do with such card?
Just for example:
www.ebay.com/itm/251550012954
www.ebay.com/itm/232043414419

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #433 of 543
Let manage it by following way - what is your goal? What do you want to do with such card?
Just for example:
www.ebay.com/itm/251550012954
www.ebay.com/itm/232043414419

Okej, my ultame goal is to have dts-passthrough/bit perfect sound on pine64 single board computer with coaxial or spdif digital outto my receiver. It has to run either Ubuntu or Debian.

I already achived dts passthrough/bit perfect on pi3+hidiberry board. But hidiberry alike board is not available for pine64. Therefore a need for such a setup.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #434 of 543

Okej, my ultame goal is to have dts-passthrough/bit perfect sound on pine64 single board computer with coaxial or spdif digital outto my receiver. It has to run either Ubuntu or Debian.

I already achived dts passthrough/bit perfect on pi3+hidiberry board. But hidiberry alike board is not available for pine64. Therefore a need for such a setup.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #435 of 543

Hi, Gustard H12(H10) will be a good option in this way if you have no budget constraints. Or you can try any card with XMOS chip as usb receiver. I have no problems with XMOS cards on Fedora at all. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back