Bit disappointed with Hifi-man HE-4xx on drop
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #61 of 90
Unfortunately not a hedge-fund trader, (although what a life! Not for me!), so I have to make purchases every few months once I've saved up a bit.
Actually I studied finance at master's level at Cornell (Ivy League), but graduated just during the worst of the financial crisis. In 2007-8. So there went the Wall Street jobs. Been doing a lot of hiking, trekking and fishing since, and some digital media etc. Not sure I regret it, Wall Street is a rat-race, so is finance generally. Or the City (London). If I could make a living off of hiking around and fishing, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #62 of 90
It's really not too terrible to recable the AKGs.
That sounds like a job and a half. Would like to do it though, my favorite cans.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #63 of 90
Maybe just easier to buy new akg k612's, what I did for my Beyerdynamic dt770's when they also! broke (the little goddamned 3.5mm plug). Have now very low confidence in cans which don't have replaceable cables. That should be obvious and sign of quality.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #64 of 90
Wow it wouldn't be hard for AKG and Beyerdynamic to implement either, they do it on various cans, also lower-end cans (akg k271mkii). Just infuriating when those tiny plugs break. Inevitable also. Gets me right pissed off. Sigh!

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #66 of 90
Well can't be too carefull, may offend their feelings! Thanks all for inputs and comments and so on, been very helpfull. Always good to be back! What a great community, one I always recommend to peps starting out with anything related to hi-fi and sound. We have a similar community in Norway, for people going out in the mountains, fjellforum.net, these forums are a fount of knowledge (and some arguments! hehe) but indispensable. That's what the internet was meant to be about, not x formerly known as twitter etc. Keep on grooving!

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #67 of 90
That's beyond my skill level.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #68 of 90
Recabling akg's or Beyerdynamics...way beyond my skill level. If you break a plug, just have to buy new. Unfortunately. Have soldering iron etc., have soldered or tried to a pair of older akg's, and it just doesn't work. Wires are too thin to solder.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #69 of 90
Recabling akg's or Beyerdynamics...way beyond my skill level. If you break a plug, just have to buy new. Unfortunately. Have soldering iron etc., have soldered or tried to a pair of older akg's, and it just doesn't work. Wires are too thin to solder.
Have a pair of DT-770's which you can have a go at! Can have them for free, just pay for shipping. Same problem, broken 3.5mm plug. Or anyone else who wants a go at it!

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #70 of 90
Gotta say Hi-fi man hd 4xx cans sound pretty good even through my tiny FiiO Q1 portable DAC/AMP. MUUCHO better than through the pc! Looking forward to the Schiit stack to give it some stick! But yeah these lack the detail of higher end cans for sure. So will be saving up for some Sennheiser hd600's.

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #71 of 90
Gotta say Hi-fi man hd 4xx cans sound pretty good even through my tiny FiiO Q1 portable DAC/AMP. MUUCHO better than through the pc! Looking forward to the Schiit stack to give it some stick! But yeah these lack the detail of higher end cans for sure. So will be saving up for some Sennheiser hd600's.
I've never seen someone carry an entire thread by themselves for multiple pages :beerchug::L3000::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: You do make some good points though. :)

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #73 of 90
@squidman If you are interested in wooden closed-backs with their naturally smoother sound and more acoustical bass impact, then this Denon AH-D7200 is at a great price, with only one left in stock:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B06XD8HMKK
D7200 is +8 db at 30 Hz relative to 1k, and is over the top from 200 Hz down. The treble is easier/more relaxed overall than the 4XX, but the spike/ringing at 3k is at least to me not something I want to deal with.

At that price I'd advise a HFM XS, Arya, or refurb/used HE-6 SE (assuming > 2 wpc@50 ohms), or the classic timbre/mid-range can: Senn HD-600 for a good deal less. Audeze 100 got some love at the shows too, interested to hear that at $399.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #74 of 90
XS is a good suggestion. It's a nice upgrade from the 4XX and overall is a very agreeable and versatile headphone with nice balance. Very good all rounder IMO if wanting planar instead of the HD600.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #75 of 90
Well thanks for the suggestions all, pretty much set on hd600's, but will have to wait, emptied bank account a bit for Schiit stack, time to go on the noodles and start saving up. Plus my stock portfolio took a big hit last few weeks with downturn in stock market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back