Bit disappointed with Hifi-man HE-4xx on drop
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #46 of 90
Which Schiit DAC's do you mean - probably not the Gungnir MB or the Yggy. Do any Schiit MB DAC's fit into your list? Please specify.
I only dislike the base model modi's. I've heard a few. They sound wrong to me. Not lacking in detail or anything catastrophic just a bit too happy and bright. Not my thing. No schiit product is "bad" I just don't like the low end DAC's. I should have been specific sorry.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #49 of 90
Was expecting better cans for the monies, nearly 300 usd or something. Quality was fine, but still had better sound out of old akg k612's out of the box. Tried both straight from computer and from an old asus sound card. I'm not sure how obsolete that is, listening to a sound card on the computer. Still have a DAC for my mobile, that's how old I am! So basically no punch, and no real bass, but not bad. About equivalent to my closed back cans which are a dt-770 pro and an akg k271 mk ii. Worse than the aforementioned akg k612's by quite a bit. But then have replaceable cables! So that helps, even if it takes 3 months from china! So was sold on the hype of planar backed cans, and that turned out to be mostly bull. So well, not terrible cans by any means, and pretty comfy, but not mind-blowing either by a long way. Not worth the monies if you ask me. Oh well, I tried planar magnetic cans, and they were found wanting! Will stick with AKG or Sennheiser or something next time. Have enough cans to keep me going though here for a while! Always good to be back on head-fi!
Btw if you want something that's "as good as HD 600 but in a different way" and is super cheap (at least in North America), get Phillips SHP9500. They're an older model but they sound spectacular and in the USA they're often well under $100 or in Canada about $125. idk what they'd cost elsewhere.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #52 of 90
Well you boys can argue about DAC's and amps but will be checking out the phillips cans! But otherwise may be springing for HD600's. Oldies but goodies. And pretty pricey! Still a cool 3890 nok or 357 usd here. Still have to break in my hi-fi man hd4xx here. Until I wait for schiit etc to come, doing pretty well with dt-770s and tiny FiiO Q1 cigarette packet sized portable dac/amp.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #53 of 90
That tiny amp/dac is awesome though for the size! And good battery life! Old now, but well before it's time! FiiO Q1. Showing its age with micro-usb etc of course. But great little thing! Super stoked with it, using it until I get my Schiits in.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 90
Well those Phillips SHP9500 are going now for 300 bucks on ebay..so much for cheap option.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 90
Yeah well looking forward to those Shiits, among other things not hearing the bass from Joey DeFrancesco here. What a legend! Go Joey D! Rip!

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #56 of 90
Well if you don't get it, ya don't get it! But Joey D is my man everytime! RIP! He will be sorely missed. Thanks for all the support etc, will be an active member after this. Good to be back! No ears just getting worse, plugged with earwax and so on, but hope you all have a great listening experience! Hehe good to be back with the head-fiers! I can recommend getting your ears washed out, but it is a bit uncomfortable at first! Not exactly a good time! Anyway best regards to all head-fiers out there!

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #58 of 90
Norway so 25% VAT on everything..but saw them on ebay for 300 usd. But will go for the original Sennheiser hd600's. Still have to wait for magni and modi Schiit stack to arrive though, and will be around 25% VAT to pay on top of 4800 nok. So will have to eat noodles for a few months, save up. This hi-fi thing ain't cheap!

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #59 of 90
Unfortunately not a hedge-fund trader, (although what a life! Not for me!), so I have to make purchases every few months once I've saved up a bit.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #60 of 90
Yeah, hi-fi man HE-4xx sounded immediately better. About the same as my old k612's. Those have a broken plug which is tragic, no way to switch cables. Very poor design. They work, but plug may or may not break inside of the amp or pc, no way of knowing. Will never go back to cans which don't have replaceable cables again. DT770's I'm looking at you! Second pair here. Or AKG k612s as well. Not good.
It's really not too terrible to recable the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back