Bing! Bing! Bing!
Jun 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone try Microsoft's new search engine yet? - Bing

I haven't used it that extensively yet but it seems okay. Whether or not it can come close in achieving Google's popularity remains to be seen. When Google was introduced, I remember many people said it would never surpass Yahoo.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When Google was introduced, I remember many people said it would never surpass Yahoo.

What's a yahoo? Can I find one on Google?

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 31
Hmm. I searched for "Grado" and Grado Labs was the ~8th listing.
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 31
It was the first for me....

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 31
I see that the first few sites are all Dutch. After that some EU and only then there is the Grado Labs link. I guess it lists the sites closer to you first...

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 31
Looks ok. But I am well pleased with Google and have no plans to drop it...

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 31
Eh, I suppose most people will use it once and then go back to Google.

It's alright, but not noticeably better. Microsoft has to stop being a "me too."

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 31
"bing yourself" just doesnt sound the same as "google yourself".
Cant see it being excessively popular. If it becomes a phenomenon, I suspect it will be localised to north america like many microsoft products.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 31
Wow, check out "bird's eye" on Bing's maps.

Seems like a great compromise between aerial and Google's "street view"-- I love it.
Also, Bing's satellite/aerial view seems like better image quality than Googl'es.

Those are the two strengths I saw with Bing, the rest needs a lot of improvement (or I'm just not used to it)

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 31
I've used Live Maps UK for the past year or so due to the very detailed bird eye view. Infinitely more useful than Street View, IMO. Other than that I use Google or Yahoo! for searches.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 31
I've switched full time. It's far nicer to look at good photography each day as my homepage than a boring logo; the video search and maps are leagues ahead of Google's and the regular search seems rather excellent.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 31
i liked the look...beautiful outlay...and is fast also.

let me try it for few days.

hey btw..i heard..it has poor pr0n filters.....good for some..nightmare for parents?

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 31
I have a weird issue that on my PC (in the UK) Bing keeps reverting to searching for German sites (even though only English is selected in the preferences)...

...Not a good first impression due to that... but, will try on my work PC tomorrow, incase I have some cookies or otherwise on this PC that may be throwing it off...

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 31
the birds eye view thingy is very impressive. looking at some of the parks and beaches I havent been to yet and its amazing. Good stuff. But I tried Crater Lake and it said no birds eye view for this area...oh well...

As for the search engine itself, I'd have to try it out some more and decide if its worth it.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's alright, but not noticeably better. Microsoft has to stop being a "me too."

Agreed. You would think they could at least try to have the originality to pick a different font or slightly different layouts for search results. It looks like a google page. Also, the name is just sort of annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back