Bikes we love
Jun 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfortunately living where I do (city surrounded by flat plainland) means there is only one twisty road worth riding out here. And what is the result of also having harsh snowy winters? You guessed it, plenty of gravel strewn across the roads that is NOT swept up come spring. But it is a fun road to ride, most of the corners are hidden by crests or covered with treeline. It's a narrow twisty undivided, unpainted road where you never know what is going to be around the next corner.

Last ride I came around a bend and spotted what first appeared to be a brown paper bag. As I neared, it turned out to be a porcupine sitting smack in the middle of the road. Amazing how slowly those things waddle away..

I hear you. Doing track days is a good way to pick up riding skill in a controlled manner. Is there a track near where you live? It sounds like it might be Winnipeg by your description.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ex500 is probably gonna be my first bike. But the one I really want is this:
NV40275_1_400.jpg

(with black mid-fairing)

An ex500 would be a good choice though I would recommend a used Suzuki SV-650. Both are good starter bikes that you won't quickly outgrow. I started in 1990 with a "new" 1988 Honda Hawk GT. This bike is similar in many ways to the SV-650, though it has less power. I still have the bike and enjoy riding it though my Moto Guzzi is my main ride on the street.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An ex500 would be a good choice though I would recommend a used Suzuki SV-650.

I like the suzuki, but money is an issue. It's also very hard to find a used one around here. Ex500s pop up for $3000ish relatively often.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quite liked my friends 1993 GSX-R 1100 until he took me for a ride on the back of it at 140 mph or so. Scared the bejesus out of me. I was wearing a business suit and an open face helmet. Not a lot of fun. I was mad at him for a long time after that lil stunt. it's not like you can just get off at those speeds.. I miss my little Honda met-In scooter that got nicked.. that was fun in the summer.

Your friend is a bit of a jackass.
It should be obvious to anyone that taking someone who's used to scooters on a sport bike and opening up the throttle is a great way to get them to stop being your friends.

I like the Suzuki SV650s, in fact had I not gotten my Kawa I'd probably have gotten that instead. Only thing I dislike about it is the down-swept handlebar (I don't know the technical term); I like straight handlebars more because they are more comfortable. There are aftermarket straight bars for the SV650S, though...

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #49 of 90
I've been riding steet for 30 years, and have gone through a boatload of bikes. Here're the recent ones:

2002 R1 - Sold a while back, and I miss her dearly...
14264Sylvie_4-med.jpg

2001 FZ1 - Current bike (Elisabeth NOT included
biggrin.gif
)
14264elisabeth_109-med.jpg

Possibly my next bike... Victory Vegas Jackpot!
06_jackpot_gallery2.jpg

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #51 of 90
No pictures....but I have a 2002 Oryx Gemsbok that I got for $300 at a pawn shop
biggrin.gif
. Super-light, super-breakable frame sucks, but I am a light rider, so it shouldn't matter. And it's loaded with Shimano XTR components, as well as Foxtrot shocks (I think). I still have to bring it to the bike shop and get it tuned up before I go out riding.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your friend is a bit of a jackass.
It should be obvious to anyone that taking someone who's used to scooters on a sport bike and opening up the throttle is a great way to get them to stop being your friends.

I like the Suzuki SV650s, in fact had I not gotten my Kawa I'd probably have gotten that instead. Only thing I dislike about it is the down-swept handlebar (I don't know the technical term); I like straight handlebars more because they are more comfortable. There are aftermarket straight bars for the SV650S, though...

Yeah he was a lot of a jackass. but hey, I managed to off load my ex gf onto him.. payback.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #53 of 90
^^ Hahahah, classic.

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you. Doing track days is a good way to pick up riding skill in a controlled manner. Is there a track near where you live? It sounds like it might be Winnipeg by your description.

yes, and as a matter of fact I am attending a trackday this sunday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the suzuki, but money is an issue. It's also very hard to find a used one around here. Ex500s pop up for $3000ish relatively often.

Get your cbr styling and your newbie friendly power all in one package with the new cbr 125! The price is right too! Actually I have seen one of these in person and they look pretty good.
Honda_CBR125R_2007_rouge_stgz

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the term is clip ons and indeed handlebars are much comfier and more practical on the street. A lot of people convert their svs's to take handle bars, and the kawi ninja 650r comes with them stock i believe.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get your cbr styling and your newbie friendly power all in one package with the new cbr 125! The price is right too! Actually I have seen one of these in person and they look pretty good.
Honda_CBR125R_2007_rouge_stgz

Weak engine for what looks like a sport bike, can't go on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back