Bigsby’s top cans for 2013: ep1 Soundmagic HP100- The Beyer Slayer, The Mid Monster, The Detail Demon.
May 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #76 of 94
IMO you cant go wrong with these, cheap enough, and sound downright amazing. Its hard to believe how good these are without trying them. I havent bought other cans since, and im a frequent buyer!

May 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #77 of 94
Just got this baby, this thing is one crazy chameleon heck of a cans. One track it sounds like taiko demonstration and suddenly it's as quiet as graveyard at midnight on the the next track.

I just wish the mid is a little wee more forward, since I love my mid but then again I have PK1 covering that. :)

Sadly my unit have annoying noise whenever the connection for the detachable cable moved, it's minor annoyance and I'm gonna wait and see if it got worse before I send it back.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #79 of 94
Please do. Ive had mine for months now and still absolutely adore them. Actually i havent bought any cans since. One thing i am going to buy is a pair of the new special edition FA011 when noisy motel finally get them in. A new filter chip, 4 woods, and only 10 pairs of each WORLD WIDE- I dont need more cans, but i CANT miss out on those!!!

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #80 of 94
I found out that this cans can really scale up well with good dac and amp, and the difference is immediate and apparent.

I had the chance to audition some cans on a local head shop, also brought my HP100 along. This headphone made DT880 sounds muddy in comparison lol though admittedly DT880 has more midbass to offer, I think the closest match to HP100 soundsig is K550, yet HP100 still manage to sounds noticeably clearer and has more forward mid, imho the difference is enough to make HP100 a much better phone despite being cheaper.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #81 of 94
I think the comment referring to the little guy inside equalizing the sound depending on the artist was really the perfect way to explain the sound of these cans. Its so true. I can listen to a busy death metal track and it manages to make everything discernable, the guitars being nice and sharp without shrill and tight defined drum beats all balanced. Yet when I listen to some bass heavy electronica these sound like bassy cans, in a good way. Sure bass heavy cans are fun with bassy electronica but these are so much more fun because you get quality bass AND hear all the other great notes and effects that make the song so enjoyable. I really cannot see how anyone could dislike these headphones, they do nothing terrible. Perhaps only real crazy bassheads and the real analytical or real warm signature type folks but these seem to be such a fine balance.
I look forward to reading more user reviews!

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #82 of 94
Based on the review on page 1 of this thread, i've ordered these. I'm really looking forward to getting them and I should have them in a few days.

Re: bassheads, I considered myself a basshead for years, but in the last 2 years my tastes have really refined and I found myself turning off the bass boost on my E12 amp this morning while listening to drum and bass because the E12 + HTC One + Beyer DT770 combination already provides ample bass in the track, and that was without adjusting the equalization on the phone.

I must be getting old.

I'm really keen to get these headphones and have a listen. The E12 + the equalizer app installed on any android smartphone can turn most headphones into bass monsters with the right settings, but what i'm looking forward to checking out is the accuracy of the bass notes and how fast it is in transitioning.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #84 of 94
+1

I've been through more than 100 in the last 10 years :/ I'm currently seeking for a closed partner for the HP100 which concentrates a bit more on the mids. The Sony Z1000 (have owned it before.... :wink: ) is my choice. Already found one and I'll see how that works out. I remember a very nice mid coloration and not too much bass. The HP100 bass pleases me 100% and i want a headphone that draws more attention to the mids and less at the bass. Closed full size mid centric headphones are extremly rare, even rarer if you don't count in Audio Technicas.

Oh and having only the HP100 would wear the pads down really quickly.

... always having good excuses for more headphones... :D

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #85 of 94
I've been on Head-Fi for about six years, so our rate of headphone acquisition is about equal:).  I'd like to get a pair of HD 600s for classical, or perhaps the ATH-W1000x.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #86 of 94
OK then I took these out of the box last night. At first I thought these aren't as big as what the pictures showed, and they are definitely a smaller form factor than my DT770 Pro that I just took off my head after arriving home from work.

I put them on and immediately the comfort of these headphones was obvious - i'm still a bit skeptical about the longer term because I have been burnt like that before - when I first put the ATH-ESW9 on my head I commented in forums that "it's like having pillows on your ears" but less than 2 months later I was no longer using them because they were too uncomfortable.

Anyway comfort is a big tick at this point in time.

I tried it unamped through my HTC One. It sounded a bit bland, dominated by midrange, but I tested the volume up and down a bit and they can get up a little bit above normal listening volume but you lose a lot of bass on the last few volume notches with HTC. Anyway I thought ok sensitivity is good, if they were 50 ohms+ impedance, but very low for 32 ohm headphones.

Fair enough, noisy motel did tell me that these benefit from amplification and i'm fine with that - i didn't buy these to play from unamped sources after all - i was just curious to see how they would go.

Next I tried it in my Nexus 7 tablet, also unamped and thought maybe if this can drive them suitably I could use it overnight for burn in, but that was a no go entirely - worse than the phone - but that's kind of what you'd expect since the HTC One has a built in amp and the Nexus doesn't.

Next I tried it with my Fiio E12. Yeah, this sounds much better, fuller and richer. OK great. I was a little dissappointed though because some people on head fi had commented these would improve with burn in, but I don't have a desktop amp. Over the weekend though i'll definitely put these through my E12 and into my Nexus and might play Pandora for 40 hours or so. (i use different headphones on the weekends, ATH-TAD500 for the football (AM radio commentary sounds great, and I can still hear what the crowd is shouting at the umpires :p) and maybe the SRH440 or M4U2's for the train into the city Saturday evening, i'm still deciding)

OK let's take them to work anyway. Morning comes, I get on the bus, and I slip these on. WOW - the isolation in these is terrific - probably better than the beyerdynamic DT770 which already has high isolation. BIG tick in being isolated with these.

On my way to work I was watching Breaking Bad on Netflix (i'm still in season 3) and that sounded good, but it's just voices.

After that episode was done I put on some music for the walk to work and this morning I decided to go for bass junkees radio, as "Dungeon Krew Airwaves" does their live show at this time on a friday morning. I was listening to the jungle style of drum and bass, kind of like reggae sped up with some rappers over the top if i had to use words to describe it.

The bass is disappointing at this time i have to say, but that may improve as time goes on. I tried using various equalizer settings and bass boost settings on my phone, and could find a sound i was OK with, but there wasn't much sub bass in it - the beyerdynamic can really down low into the sub bass region, and at this point in time it seems these can't.

At the bass levels peak, I could also detect resonance inside the headphone cabinet itself, and I don't drive it very loud. Perhaps it's a little unfair to compare the HP100 fresh out of the box to Beyerdynamic headphones i've been listening to for at least 3 years. Maybe these need a bit more bass boost to bring out the best in them for jungle/drum and bass type music, i've always thought the bass boost on the E11 was good - too heavy on setting 2 for the DT770s so maybe it will be right for this - i'll wait until after the weekend to try it.

One thing you have to remember about this genre of music is that it's some vocals, some drums and a whole lot of bass. If the bass is missing or sub par you are literally missing out on half the music.

That's not the type of music i listen to all the time though, i listen to a bit of everything. On my walk to lunch today i'll put on some pop music from the 90s and see how that goes, then some hard rock. I can see the potential in these headphones for someone who listens to a bit of everything, but if someone asked me today if I can reccomend these for hiphop, dnb, or dubstep, I'd be very reluctant to speak positively about the perforance of the HP100.

That's my early impressions anyway, but i'm not about to throw them in my unused headphones tub and write off $250. To have some problems with the bass this early on indicates they need some burn in with a wide variety of music, so I'll try that next.

Not as happy as what I was hoping to be. :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #87 of 94
I've only used these amp'd with a TubeMagic D1 (modded) and a Woo Audio WA7 and I can't even imagine anyone saying the bass is disappointing.  Everyone I've ever allowed to listen to these cans (again, always amped) has been amazed especially when I tell them I only paid $200 for them.  It's got some incredibly good sub bass so I'm wondering if your issue is source or power related.  I'm actually considering buying a second pair so I can have some at home and at work even though I have several other headphones already.  I may need 3 pair once my wife gets a hold of them.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #88 of 94
Quote:
I've only used these amp'd with a TubeMagic D1 (modded) and a Woo Audio WA7 and I can't even imagine anyone saying the bass is disappointing.  Everyone I've ever allowed to listen to these cans (again, always amped) has been amazed especially when I tell them I only paid $200 for them.  It's got some incredibly good sub bass so I'm wondering if your issue is source or power related.  I'm actually considering buying a second pair so I can have some at home and at work even though I have several other headphones already.  I may need 3 pair once my wife gets a hold of them.

Thanks - that could be the source of the problem, but when I asked the store if the E12 would be able to power them ok, they said it would.

I'll try it with some FLAC audio files today, as that was just a 192kbps mp3 radio stream, but the DT770's in comparison have always been really forgiving to online radio.

I looked up both of those amps you mentioned, and they are both desktop powered.

Does anybody have other suggestions of portable amps?

Thanks for the reply LNCPapa - to be told "it's you, mine are awesome" is actually re-assuring, it means I need to take a look at improving my gear (which I completely understand is on the low end)

I wonder how the SoundMAGIC A10 amp would perform with it's own headphones - has anybody tried this? *edit* After looking around at other threads, it looks like the digiZoid Z02.3 "Personal Subwoofer" is also worth looking into. Hmm....

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #89 of 94
I listened to my HP100s unamped for the first time this morning - straight from my S3 and I've got to say that it was NOT a pleasant experience. I'm not sure where that line is for it to start sounding decent, but I'm betting that powered by a phone is not it. It's like I'm not even listening to the same cans anymore.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #90 of 94
After many years on head-fi i'm still amazed by the difference people seem to be hearing on the same headphones
I have absolutely no problems listening to my HP100s unamped from any source be it old PCDPs, mp3 players or cellphones. I currently have a Asgard 2 and a Nuforce UDH-100 to amp them and honestly, the differences are small.
Maybe the S3 is a particulary bad match but from my tries, the HP100 does sound very good unamped and doesn't change that much with amping. Other headphones improve alot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back