Biggest Disappointment Headphone
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #61 of 401
Can someone throw some light on why it seems everyone was so disappointed with the Elear while Tyll from InnerFidelity seemed to absolute rave about them? I don't trust Tyll a whole lot (I have TH 900s, hehe) but it seems interesting that his opinion seems to differ so much from what other people think.
Not everyone's tastes are gonna line up always. I agree with Tyll on a lot of headphones, but I very much disagree with him on the TH-900.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #62 of 401
Trust me ,, i contacted Moon Audio (from where i got it) , Drew Baird himself told me that it is the limit of the Elear ,, he tried it at his store and he had the same issue
also another member here confirmed this problem with Focal at a meeting in CnaJam ,, they said to him , it is the design of this headphone if driven with heavy tracks
the driver hit the protective grill from inside , i wouldn't care for this problem if they sounded good ,i would kept them for relaxed music ,, but even for that it was not at my standers.
The popping & clicking is a known issue, also driver failure. That is why I have not bought a pair. Even if the clicking & popping is a built in feature, I want no part of it. I am the one who wants to determine how loud I listen, not a headphone manufacturer !

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #63 of 401
Can someone throw some light on why it seems everyone was so disappointed with the Elear while Tyll from InnerFidelity seemed to absolute rave about them? I don't trust Tyll a whole lot (I have TH 900s, hehe) but it seems interesting that his opinion seems to differ so much from what other people think.

I think its different signature for different people. i personally think its the best headphone I've tried (which includes the D7000, T1, HD800, HD650s). I wanted a headphone which is somewhere between a D7000 and T1 and so far Elears with a slight eq boost (+4db or so) at 4k is simply perfect. I am also very sensitive to sibilance and I hear none in the Elears with any music I've listened to. D7000, T1, HD800(S), HD650, and the DT880 all have sibilance in some tracks (in the case of HD800... pretty much all tracks).

Only think I wish is a slightly larger soundstage, at least as big as my DT880s.

I'm sure there is a headphone out there that meets what I need, but I am getting tired to trying and returning headphones. My endgoal is to enjoy the music I listen to and not the gear.

Also I have never heard my headphones click at all. Guess I'm not as deaf as my fiancee says I am.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #64 of 401
He400i v2. I was expecting "planar bass" but instead got a soulless experience.
Try the 560s, they may have the bass and liveliness you're looking for.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #65 of 401
I think its different signature for different people. i personally think its the best headphone I've tried (which includes the D7000, T1, HD800, HD650s). I wanted a headphone which is somewhere between a D7000 and T1 and so far Elears with a slight eq boost (+4db or so) at 4k is simply perfect. I am also very sensitive to sibilance and I hear none in the Elears with any music I've listened to. D7000, T1, HD800(S), HD650, and the DT880 all have sibilance in some tracks (in the case of HD800... pretty much all tracks).

Only think I wish is a slightly larger soundstage, at least as big as my DT880s.

I'm sure there is a headphone out there that meets what I need, but I am getting tired to trying and returning headphones. My endgoal is to enjoy the music I listen to and not the gear.

Also I have never heard my headphones click at all. Guess I'm not as deaf as my fiancee says I am.

I don't think the elear sounded bad per se. But it doesn't do anything special. It was mainly a price issue... it just doesn't sound like a 700+ dollar headphone. More in line with a 200-400 hp. Like the DT1990, you can get used for 400 and I think if you a/b the two, you will find the quality of the 1990 very very good. And it's got a bigger sound stage, more comfort, alternate pads...

And the HD6xx at 200 bucks literally proves the point. It is quite similar to it in sound signature (some differences), but more comfortable and yeah, so much cheaper.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #66 of 401
I don't think the elear sounded bad per se. But it doesn't do anything special. It was mainly a price issue... it just doesn't sound like a 700+ dollar headphone. More in line with a 200-400 hp. Like the DT1990, you can get used for 400 and I think if you a/b the two, you will find the quality of the 1990 very very good. And it's got a bigger sound stage, more comfort, alternate pads... And the HD6xx at 200 bucks literally proves the point. It is quite similar to it in SQ, but more comfortable.

I've found a lot of people calling the Elear boring. Personally I wouldn't say that is necessarily a negative thing.. It depends on how long time the person saying it had with the headphones. A lot of people judge headphone based on just a demo, or a couple of days.. I'd say a headphone needs to be tested for at least 1-2 weeks before passing judgement.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #67 of 401
Boring is a bad thing for a headphone. Especially when you feel that way after spending 700 bucks on it.

I had Elear twice myself. The first time I didn't like it. I wanted to give it another chance from what I was reading online, so I demoed it again at home and felt the same exact way. I listen to a lot of EDM and electronic music and people seem to say these are good there, but they did not do it for me.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #68 of 401
I don't think the elear sounded bad per se. But it doesn't do anything special. It was mainly a price issue... it just doesn't sound like a 700+ dollar headphone. More in line with a 200-400 hp. Like the DT1990, you can get used for 400 and I think if you a/b the two, you will find the quality of the 1990 very very good. And it's got a bigger sound stage, more comfort, alternate pads...

And the HD6xx at 200 bucks literally proves the point. It is quite similar to it in sound signature (some differences), but more comfortable and yeah, so much cheaper.

I have the HD650 (returning this week) and its probably the most boring head phones I have listened to. If you like a blast of warm at the bottom end with no thump, HD650 is perfect. Even EQing did not help. I wanted to like them due to price but I simply cannot. I wouldn't even pay $100 for them, never mind $200. Also HD650 apply more pressure on my head than the Elears. HD800s are the most comfortable headphones I've worn followed by the DT880s.

Elears are also more detailed in my listening experience. Not the best for orchestral instrumental, but I still can hear when there is a little too much spit in a Trumpet with the Elears whereas with the HD650, I'll have to strain to hear it. HD650 isn't good for orchestral either since they both share similar soundstages. The only thing I can see the HD650 being good for is slow Jazz (for the warm bottom and pronounced mids), but I do not enjoy listening to slow Jazz. I have no idea why people compare Elears to HD650s. They do not sound anything alike besides the soundstage.

I wanted to try the DT1990 but I don't think I can stand Beyer's sibilance anymore. From what I read, the DT1990 and Amiron did not improve this at all.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 401
Hifiman HE-1000 V1 - Listened to very briefly at a headphone meet; sounded boring. Not bad, but not amazing considering its price; Someone had a grill modded HE-6 with Alpha Pads there, and I much preferred that.
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog - Read and watched at least 10 reviews that raved about them; sounded very boring
Aurisonics Forte - Its treble is unbearable, very sharp and sibilant; very distracting from the other frequencies
Audio Technica ATH-IM03 - It wasn't bad, but I wished it was much more smooth and warm. A bit sharp in the treble.

There should be a thread for headphones that exceeded your expectations if there isn't yet.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #70 of 401
I have the HD650 (returning this week) and its probably the most boring head phones I have listened to. If you like a blast of warm at the bottom end with no thump, HD650 is perfect. Even EQing did not help. I wanted to like them due to price but I simply cannot. I wouldn't even pay $100 for them, never mind $200. Also HD650 apply more pressure on my head than the Elears. HD800s are the most comfortable headphones I've worn followed by the DT880s.

Elears are also more detailed in my listening experience. Not the best for orchestral instrumental, but I still can hear when there is a little too much spit in a Trumpet with the Elears whereas with the HD650, I'll have to strain to hear it. HD650 isn't good for orchestral either since they both share similar soundstages. The only thing I can see the HD650 being good for is slow Jazz (for the warm bottom and pronounced mids), but I do not enjoy listening to slow Jazz. I have no idea why people compare Elears to HD650s. They do not sound anything alike besides the soundstage.

I wanted to try the DT1990 but I don't think I can stand Beyer's sibilance anymore. From what I read, the DT1990 and Amiron did not improve this at all.

Smooth and Warm, Mid centric sound with a rolled off top end. IMO they sound quite alike and the sound signatures are similar. Perhaps the Elear has some more thump but it is not particularly impressive there. I guess we will have to agree to disagree here.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #71 of 401

I went back to the HD650 because I wanted a headphone I can just relax to. Something easy going and that I could wear for hours, but also something that I could crank up and not get fatigued.

I think "mood" definitely plays a role.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #72 of 401

I have read that Beyer did indeed fix the sibilance issue with these two models. I will have a pair of Amiron next week, so I guess I will see !

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #73 of 401
Forgot to mention the Panasonic RP-HD10.

No disrespect to the happy owners, but I absolutely hated the sound. Piercing treble and honky mids.

I tried EQ'ing but it did not help at all, if anything. I wanted to like them as they felt very premium and look very attractive.

PanasonicHD10.jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #74 of 401
Hifiman HE-1000 V1 - Listened to very briefly at a headphone meet; sounded boring. Not bad, but not amazing considering its price; Someone had a grill modded HE-6 with Alpha Pads there, and I much preferred that.
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog - Read and watched at least 10 reviews that raved about them; sounded very boring
Aurisonics Forte - Its treble is unbearable, very sharp and sibilant; very distracting from the other frequencies
Audio Technica ATH-IM03 - It wasn't bad, but I wished it was much more smooth and warm. A bit sharp in the treble.

There should be a thread for headphones that exceeded your expectations if there isn't yet.
There never will be. We can find fault with anything here on Head-Fi.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #75 of 401
There never will be. We can find fault with anything here on Head-Fi.

I thought that is something exclusive on SBAF (sarcasm).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back