Big News for lovers of Bach's Cello Suites!
Dec 7, 2003 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I wrote to EMI the other day requesting that they put out the recordings that Mstislav Rostropovich made of Bach's cello suites on DVD. They actually went ahead and filmed these at the same time as they recorded them...anyway EMI wrote back to me and said they plan to release them on DVD video in the spring. This is huge news -- this is the best modern performance of the cello suites, and one of the best recordings sonically that I have ever heard. It was recorded in the incredible cathedral in Vezeley, France. But it is even better than that...before each suite Rostropovich spends 10-15 minutes talking about the suites, from a musical, historical and personal standpoint. He plays a bunch of passages on the piano and organ to explain them, and teaches you about the music. Rostropovich is more than just an incredible virtuoso -- he is one of this centuries great humanitarians. He has long been a champion of human rights, and he even sheltered Solzhenitsyn in his home when he had become a persona non grata in the USSR. Eventually Rostropovich himself would emigrate. In any case, I am totally ecstatic, since this set is my most cherished collection of music period. It was hugely formative for me, and it actually made me take up playing the cello. those of you who have been around a long time may remember that I always bring up these performances, but this is why. I truly believe...TRULY...that the world would be a FAR better place if everyone heard this music and felt its universal human appeal. Anyway, bravo to EMI for finally re-releasing this on DVD (it was on VHS and Laserdisc, but long discontinued...still available as a two cd set though).

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 8
ooooh, very cool! Thanks Stuart! I think I'll have to buy them as well. Although, I may need to hear them at your place for the optimal listening experience.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 8
stuart,

So what you are saying that that you like this stuff, huh?
wink.gif

With such high recos, I will have to find them and listen myself. Who knows? Maybe I'll become a better person for it?

Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 8
I'll be in too, once they go on sale!
cool.gif
Stuartr, EMI should give you a cut!

Dec 8, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Well jpelg, we have pretty much done what we can for you, so I won't make any promises, but we'll do what we can.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back