Big-Eared People Unite!!
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 68
Yes, I've tried the star tips, the largest wouldn't seal for me. Just sliding on outta there. :-/

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 68
  First place to look when you can't find your keys or are looking for spare change.. Shop clerks often display a surprised look on their face when I pull a fiver out of my ears..
confused_face_2.gif

I can't put fivers in my ears. That's where I keep my quarters.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 68
I should have mentioned: If you use one particular IEM a lot, then custom silicone tips (such as sold by Custom Arts) are a valid option. The main reason I haven't bought them yet for my BlueBuds X is that I wear them usually with the cable over my ears, but need to switch them to the more precarious front position if I want to answer a call -- otherwise, the microphone is behind my ear too. Custom silicone tips would make such switching difficult or impossible.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #19 of 68
I'm always experimenting with tips combos, and lately I've been using the monoprice 9927 with S size vsonic GR99 single flange tips inside a L size meelec double flanges. They fit perfect and stay snug all the time.

However doing this combos give a bit of work but worth it imo.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 68
  I should have mentioned: If you use one particular IEM a lot, then custom silicone tips (such as sold by Custom Arts) are a valid option. The main reason I haven't bought them yet for my BlueBuds X is that I wear them usually with the cable over my ears, but need to switch them to the more precarious front position if I want to answer a call -- otherwise, the microphone is behind my ear too. Custom silicone tips would make such switching difficult or impossible.

thanks for the "tip"  
bigsmile_face.gif
   I sent Piotr an email, and will see what happens.   I once did a custom tip for a Blueant bluetooth and it was wonderful, but does not fit anything else.... it was from a company that did stuff for aviation - i cannot remember their name

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 68
  I usually use Sony Hybrids size LL.

Have you found a source for the Sony  LL hybrids other than in the EX1000 and EX600 packages. Once, I was able to order one pair for $40 from a parts distributor and of course, one tore while putting it on the first time. Fortunately for me, I can get away with an L in my right ear and only need the LL in my left. That helps stretch the supply. 

For Westone, Shure, and Earsonics, I use the largest Westone Star tips with good success. For Audeo PFE, I use the large Audeo tips, even though the Westones fit, the Audeos fit better. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 68
  Have you found a source for the Sony  LL hybrids other than in the EX1000 and EX600 packages. Once, I was able to order one pair for $40 from a parts distributor and of course, one tore while putting it on the first time. Fortunately for me, I can get away with an L in my right ear and only need the LL in my left. That helps stretch the supply. 

For Westone, Shure, and Earsonics, I use the largest Westone Star tips with good success. For Audeo PFE, I use the large Audeo tips, even though the Westones fit, the Audeos fit better. 

Yes I have. Just purchased some this week actually. I see your in Buffalo so just call Sony or go online and order these. They are cheap. It's worth noting that the "hybrid" is not the foam filled tip though. I having only had the generic hybrids that came with my VSONIC GR07's and thought the "hybrid" was the foam filled one.

Which it's not, those are the "noise isolating" tips. They sell those too, they are not on the sit though. 
When I called I was offered free standard shipping and a 10% discount on them. The largest ones officially through Sony are the blue colored noise isolation ones. A whopping $13.xx ea. after the discount. -_-

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #23 of 68
Thanks, I just ordered some. I last tried about a year ago and Sony Parts didn't sell them by phone or online. I ended up at the wholesaler that Sony Parts gets supplied from (doesn't seem very efficient).  

Never did care much for the ones with the foam underneath.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 68
Does anyone have any recommendations for Westones? I was using the True Fit tips (orange) but those suckers make my jaw hurt after about 3 hours. The next size smaller (Red) wont seal. I have the Westone 3. 

I tried using a hybrid w/ a de-cored true fit core which works, but considerably alters the sound to my ears. Seems everyone uses/used the Comply P series. Any other recommendations?

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 68
After many days thinking I came to the conclusion I needed to fill out the inner part of my tips to stop them collapsing, my entire problem was the tips not grabbing onto my dry? canal and sliding out, I needed something to fill out the inside of the tip and foam wasn't cutting it. After doing some searching I came across these o-rings in a variety pack for about $6 a packet and thought I've got nothing to lose here by trying. Well they arrived today and one of the sizes does fit as I intended and actually does what I wanted to achieve.

This is what you need:

One set of these o-rings kits from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181234379099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Two 6x3 o-rings from this compartment. (You get 20 pieces in the kit)

Now grab your tips and turn them inside out so the stems are facing up.

Work the o-rings onto the tips, you may need to squash the stem a little as it's a tight fit which is good because we don't want it to slide off.
Once it goes over the stem work it all the way to the very front of the tip like shown in the picture. As you can see there's enough room to slide the tip onto the nozzle still.

For the last step, flick the tips flange back over the o-rings and let them settle into place. Because the flange is a little tight this also locks the o-ring into place so not only is it held tight by the stem the flange also seals it inside.

And that's it, now you have a tip with a reinforcement inside that won't collapse and also much fatter/larger. The o-ring works as a holding mechanism  giving the canal something to hold onto.  With the time I've tried it does work, the fit is a little tight which is far better then loose and for once I can insert my tips without them simply and frustratingly sliding out. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 68
thanks for the excellent suggestion.  i bought two o-ring kits from amazon, as I am in the USA.  Once I figure out which work best, then I will probably order single sizes from McMaster Carr, the industrial supplier....  Neither of my kits came with a 6x3, but 7x1.5 worked well for my tips so far.

I switched back to my Kaedes, and they work great with size L  comply T-200s, and sound even better than I remember them.  The O-ring suggestions is very useful and clever.  Note that O-rings are made ffrom a variety of different materials, and hardnesses (durometer), as well as in different sizes.  I think they are probably doing some damping of the nozzles as well, if tight enough, so that may also produce a sonic change along with the better seal.

Guess this thread died, or fellow big-ears are too reticent to post in it!

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #28 of 68
dead thread?  I just got some 1plus2s and am starting the tip challenge all over again   argh!

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 68
I just got a set of the Large UE tips sold as replacements for the TF10 from this page:  just click on the size large to get to them.  Thet are working woderfully with several of my iems, including the 1plus2 and the 334s - thanks to whoever it was who recommended them here on Head-Fi.  Kudos - they work wonderfully.

Highly recommended

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #30 of 68
  I just got a set of the Large UE tips sold as replacements for the TF10 from this page:  just click on the size large to get to them.  Thet are working woderfully with several of my iems, including the 1plus2 and the 334s - thanks to whoever it was who recommended them here on Head-Fi.  Kudos - they work wonderfully.

Highly recommended

"this page"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back