Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #781 of 4,419
the 'nago looks promising - we need more pics! Immacolata?

Pedalhead - nice stable! Just noticed the UK meet link in you sig - unfortunately I'm booked that weekend (annual Chilterns 'cross ride...) otherwise I'd love to have come along...

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #782 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by singular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 'nago looks promising - we need more pics! Immacolata?

Pedalhead - nice stable! Just noticed the UK meet link in you sig - unfortunately I'm booked that weekend (annual Chilterns 'cross ride...) otherwise I'd love to have come along...

Ah shame, enjoy that Chilterns ride though. I'll keep fingers crossed that it's not too muddy for you! They're actually pretty local to me, but I don't ride them much in the winter, tend to stick to man made stuff rather than fight my way through the Chilterns gloop.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #784 of 4,419
Ya'll got some nice bikes.

Here's mine:
matrixu.jpg

Dahon Matrix with 350w Bionx

carbonfibero.jpg

Felt Carbon.

John C.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #788 of 4,419
Any of you guys workout regularly on the bike?

I'm doing roughly 10-15 miles a day...but it's getting colder and darker everyday here in SoCal, so I might have to cut back a bit...

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #790 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy decent, windproof clothes and lights.

Indeed. Sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to ride through a British winter, but the right gear helps enormously. I mean, how rotten does it really get over there in SoCal?
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #792 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of you guys workout regularly on the bike?

I'm doing roughly 10-15 miles a day...but it's getting colder and darker everyday here in SoCal, so I might have to cut back a bit...

I've been getting close to the 100 mile a week mark. That includes the short commute to and from the school everyday. I'm moving it indoors to the trainer a lot lately though due to the change in season/ late hours at school and work.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #793 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy decent, windproof clothes and lights.

Agreed. I used to race cross in winter and you pray for the rain. But when it's commute time in short hours, you want warm clothes that keep you dry and you want lights.

For clothes, I'm a believer in wool and layering. Get some shoe covers, even toe covers help. Good wool sox will keep your feet warm, even if they are wet. I use a helmet cover in the rain. I use a shell when it's pouring but it gets real hot because it doesn't breathe.

Spend the money on a good headlight. I went w/ a Trail Rat light which is VERY bright and good rear blinkers. I even run Tireflys some times. The more obnoxious, the better to alert the inattentive drivers who assume cyclists should ride on the sidewalk.

I also have removable fenders to keep the splash down. All of this allows you to keep the miles going, even in winter. The plus is that only the diehard commuters are out, so you have the road to yourself.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #794 of 4,419
darker I certainly understand. I hate riding in low visibility.

But doesn't socal usually only drop down into the high 40's low 50's on avg?

To add to what others have said, I've found that just having your skin covered makes a big difference when when its in that temp range. I've found a light weight leg tight, long sleeve and glove to be make those sub 50 rides much more comfortable than a T and shorts.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #795 of 4,419
I bicycle in Canadian winters. While Toronto's minus 20-30 degrees (centigrade) is among the warmer climates of Canada, it is still, rather severe. I made do to minus 20 with an outer windproof, fleece lined bicycle coat and a fleece and long jumpers underneath. Legs were similarly 3 layers. But toes are the most important part, especially as long rides take 20-30 minutes to warm up to and in that time, you need to stay warm.

Windproof 1st, then warm. I had sturdy Belle shoe covers the entire winter, but they are dead now. For warmer climates that rain in the winter, dry and warm is best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I used to race cross in winter and you pray for the rain. But when it's commute time in short hours, you want warm clothes that keep you dry and you want lights.

For clothes, I'm a believer in wool and layering. Get some shoe covers, even toe covers help. Good wool sox will keep your feet warm, even if they are wet. I use a helmet cover in the rain. I use a shell when it's pouring but it gets real hot because it doesn't breathe.

Spend the money on a good headlight. I went w/ a Trail Rat light which is VERY bright and good rear blinkers. I even run Tireflys some times. The more obnoxious, the better to alert the inattentive drivers who assume cyclists should ride on the sidewalk.

I also have removable fenders to keep the splash down. All of this allows you to keep the miles going, even in winter. The plus is that only the diehard commuters are out, so you have the road to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back