Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #646 of 4,419
I have just gotten a pair of Ergon ergonomic grips for my Fuji hybrid with gripshifters .
Nice improvement, not as much hand/wrist pain, feels more natural , of course .
Highly recommended upgrade for any MTB/hybrid/commuter bike ...

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #647 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those cargo shorts (shown above) come with that undergarment liner with the padded butt area. Doesn't this combo provide the same advantages as the lycra skin-tight shorts (comfort, butt protection), other than aerodynamicity?

Lycra is comfortable because it compresses the leg, does not chafe and wicks sweat away well.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #648 of 4,419
I've bought just the liners, just bike shorts and the liner/bike short combo in the past. I find that buying cheap liners or the liners that come with bike shorts are often a waste of money because the chamois' in them are cheap and I just end up not using them. If you go to a bike shop they should carry shorts of varying price levels, if you look at the chamois in the cheap ones it will usually be thin, made of one material and not very dense, whereas the more expensive ones will be a sandwich of several layers of different materials.

Bike shorts are nice to have if you're riding somewhere that you need to look ok, but other than that I don't wear shorts while riding just for comfort reasons, plus shorts just add another layer of clothing that could potentially cause discomfort on longer rides.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #649 of 4,419
Heres my bike:

Bike048.jpg

I got it off craigslist for about $225 2 months ago. It's a mid 90s Specialized Sirrus with Shimano 105 components and Look pedals. I got new tires and a new saddle, but everything else is the same as it came to me.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #652 of 4,419
Moon nearly full in the early morning... lights that I bought for commuting mounted on the mountain bike... I can safely get to the foot of the hill before dawn and climb with the sun. Turns out to be a real delight. It's quiet. Animals are about: a coyote barely visible against the moonlit grass, nightjars fluttering from the trail ahead, bats jinking over the ridge, looking for early-rising bugs. Later on there are deer foraging in the sunlight through an oak-grove saddle. At the top of one hill, two large coveys of quail explode from the dry plants. August. Two months before we can expect rain, and yet the land thirsts. Rain ended early this year; the flowers are mostly gone, save for a few hidden in shadier or cooler spots out of direct afternoon sun: scarlet larkspur, indian pink, sticky monkeyflowers. Even the hardy buckwheat is mostly gone to rusty red. Waiting. The currants have shed most of their leaves and the bare branches wait. Still, the birds are busy rustling around, finding seeds.

I'd prefer hiking but would have to drive to the trailhead. If I ride the bike I have to take it up the trail with me. I alternate riding with walking and get good from both.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #656 of 4,419
it is food for thought though...

the hedgehog in the UK is now becoming extinct because of this problem. it's another reason i don't own a car. these poor animals they seem to be at the end of their evolution because they haven't adapted to the fast paced human environment. they have spikes to deterr foxes but unfortunately oblivious to what's on the roads. it saddens me deeply. only in certain areas are roads fitted with tunnel ducts & AFAIK they were installed for frogs more than anything. there is very little retro-fitting work done to roads (it costs).

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #657 of 4,419
Another biking headfier here... I have a few bikes... A 1999 Specialized Rockhopper for the offroad stuff (oldie, but the frame is so stiff, it climbs like a mountain goat), a Cube SL Road set up as a fast cruiser (for the daily commute), a Challenge Hurricane Sport USS recumbent (still working on this one), Then there is the 'Frankenbike' completely built from parts I had laying around in my bikeshed, and then there's 3 more bikes in parts behind the wheeliebin in my backyard....

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #660 of 4,419
i just got bicycle speakers - i know that this may be considered stupid by a few of you, but i am anxious to try them out. cy-fi which uses kleer wireless. the best part? you can link with up to 4 friends who stay within 10 metres radius and enjoy the same tunes lossless from an ipod.

a2dp is also there. i am waiting their arrival for the end of this month...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back