Bicycle-Fi!
Aug 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #677 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would listen on an enclosed pathway like a MUP, but personally I wouldn't listen to headphones while in an area with traffic.

Yeah, I meant in the wilderness (not exactly, but you guys know what I mean)...I'm starting to like my IEMs more though...

What bike do you have, Daniel? TT? Cervelos are really nice...but I'd rather get a car than save up for one...

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #679 of 4,419
You have one already, it's your iPhone 3GS. I've personally tried Trailguru and MotionX. I like Trailguru because the online views are much better that just standard Google maps.

I've used my Polar 625x to track distance, pace (running), and speed. But it's nice to just use my iPhone and track workouts. Plus, you can just use the speaker to play music while your tracking your distance. I don't use it as a speedometer when I ride, but you could w/ an iPhone handlebar mount. Just don't bail, that'd be an $$ crash...

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #680 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, anyone recommend a good pedometer/computer? I'm looking for something under $30.

At $30, you're not really gonna get a really fancy computer. I use a basic $10 Schwinn bike computer from Wal-Mart. It has basic functions like speed, avg speed, dist, and time.

Bump that budget to $40 though and you can get a Cateye CC-RD200 on Amazon that has a cadence sensor.

Quote:

You have one already, it's your iPhone 3GS. I've personally tried Trailguru and MotionX. I like Trailguru because the online views are much better that just standard Google maps.

I tried the Trailguru app and it seems to have a pretty good interface. I seem to have a problem getting it to lock onto a GPS signal though, how long does it take yours to initiate?

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #681 of 4,419
My 3G takes less than 30 seconds to lock. Pretty much I start it running, the text is in yellow, then I get on the road. I usually don't look at it but when I do, the text is green.

Bear in mind that I do the lock in my driveway which has pretty open sky. If you have tree cover, that might be the problem.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #682 of 4,419
For my birthday I bought a Trek Pilot 2.1 Shimano 105 and ultegra components. Great price because Trek discontinued the Pilot series two years ago. (more upright geometry/more comfortable) Still need to take it in for a fitting--can't seem to get comfortable enough on the saddle even though I've put over 500 miles on it after switching to a Terry fly tri.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #683 of 4,419
Take a photo of yourself on the bike from exactly side on, with your feet in the pedal, with crank at six o clock and 3 o clock. That way get a idea if you're too low and the reach to the bars. How tall are you, what is your inseam and what size is the bike? Also is the seat level? Not to forward or back?

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #684 of 4,419
well,
i finally bought a mx-leader got c-record 1994. have to wait a couple of days.
i'm happy now, my journey is over. unless i see a classic italian for $$.
wink.gif

can't wait to ride this bike.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #685 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, runs on Tiagra stuff. Its not bad, but just a PITA to tune the triple since it has a tendency to chain rub on certain gear combos. I do find myself wishing I had a compact double at times though, since 3 rings is occasionally difficult to manage.

By the way, do you guys know of a bike route mapping program that shows elevation changes? I can't seem to do it on Google maps.

ridewithgps.com does amazing stuff with elevation changes

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #686 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What bike do you have, Daniel? TT? Cervelos are really nice...but I'd rather get a car than save up for one...

I have a Focus Cayo and a Specialized Allez (out of commision for now). I'm looking to get started in cyclocross but I don't have enough money yet.
A TT = time trial.
Cervelo's are nice bikes indeed - very light and stiff and quite nice to ride but not for everyone - in my experience they're like a fighter jet - they feel really unstable but go so fast.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #688 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cervelo's are nice bikes indeed - very light and stiff and quite nice to ride but not for everyone - in my experience they're like a fighter jet - they feel really unstable but go so fast.

My Cervelo R3SL is stable as a rock. More stable at speed than my Merlin.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #689 of 4,419
That is just my ride impression (on a bike somewhat big for me) - a cervelo compared to a Cannondale and the Cannondale felt more stable, like an mtb. The Cervelo felt more alive.

I like BB30 - I hope it's used on everything, it's stiffer and it's an open standard which I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back