Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #466 of 4,419
Old Pa: I currently have a blinking led light on my helmet, it's not that bright, but it does allow me to be seen at night. I'll probably look more into getting something brighter.

iRiverdude: As for those clipless pedals, I have a fear of being completely latched on to the bike. I've heard several horror stories of people forgetting to unclip and then falling completely over while attached to their bikes.
tongue.gif

About those cow bars, I did put them to a lower position than pictured to allow me to go to a more aero position. The more forward seating position allows me to sit more comfortably and it does help a lot with butt numbing issues. Eventually I will go and get a real road bike with downbars once funds allow.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #467 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't want to interrupt the discussion going on here but I just saw this amazing biking video on youtube and wanted to share it.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That was incredible. Thanks for the post!

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #468 of 4,419
My old mountain bike I had been riding every day since purchasing (my first decent bicycle, see my posts earlier in this thread) got ran over in the drive way last week. I later had it fixed at the Reno Bike Project for free. I even learned some new things - like how to true a wheel. I am glad I went there - I now have available tools to do my own major repairs/maintenance (I ignorantly paid a LBS $50 to tune up my fiance's old wal-mart mountain bike, and additional money to true the wheels which they did a terrible job of...).
Before I had my bike fixed - my fiance told one of her coworkers the funny/sad story about my bike being ran over, and her coworker decided to donate his old bike to me as condolences. I do not have a pic of the bike, but here is the exact model in a Bike Forums thread:
'92 Bianchi Project-3: worth preserving the components? - Bike Forums
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put drop handlebars on this, and all the other necessary changes? I would really like to make this more like a cyclocross bike than the hybrid bike that it is (considering it uses 700c wheels)... I feel more comfortable commuting in this bike than in my mountain bike. Since the mountain bike is better at climbing dirt trails because of the low gearing and proper tires, I will keep it as well for exercise in the local rocky dirt trails in the hills. I am hesitant about riding the Bianchi around these trails, because I am worried the plethora of jagged ROCKS will mess up the wheels... Advice?

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #470 of 4,419
damn... that man is a real man. i could not open the page (my internet, not your link) so i cannot really recommend anything. i ride cyclocross now only - though in the middle of a city, most of my riding is done on the pavement, but you would be surprised what cyclocross wheels can withstand. actually, i am on road wheels with cyclocross tyres and they are damn tough.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #471 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn... that man is a real man. i could not open the page (my internet, not your link) so i cannot really recommend anything. i ride cyclocross now only - though in the middle of a city, most of my riding is done on the pavement, but you would be surprised what cyclocross wheels can withstand. actually, i am on road wheels with cyclocross tyres and they are damn tough.

I rode my road bike on the sidewalk before just for safe. They are fine.
How about some jumps now.
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #472 of 4,419
You'll be fine for some ofroad riding with cross tyres I would think. In any case I think you can probably fit pretty big tyres in the Project - they were nearly the first 29ers (not really hybrids - closer to mtb geometry). Should be a decent bike, would suit your plans well.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #473 of 4,419
Nevermind to the drop bar idea with the Project...

Just went and bought an 09 Bianchi Volpe at a LBS... Its a steel cyclocross/touring type bike. After researching and test riding - I believed a steel cyclocross was the way to go. Plus the LBS employee helping me told me that all the employees but one used steel cycloross bikes (or converted mountain bikes) as their daily commuters. Now I will have two bikes for two different purposes - my Bianchi Project as my mountain bike, and the Volpe as everything else. Yesterday's ride was pretty rough, and have gotten over my fear of damaging the wheels on the Project... Plus it was free anyway! I will just replace the worn barn tape, and put on some clipless pedals.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/09-bicycle...-d2-volpe.html

Review on Volpe at Bike Forums:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=volpe

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #479 of 4,419
Ok so I have a late 90's (96-98) Cannondale R600. Anyway the left 105 STI shifter spring has broken so it still shifts but you have to manually move it back as it no longer returns on its own. Anyway after being in a car crash a few months ago I have come into some money. I plan on selling this one and wanting to pick up a new road bike. Looking for 1k or under new. What are some decent entry level road bikes that dont have crappy Sora type components that are good for like 25 mile rides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back