Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #496 of 4,419
Yeah I was considering a Nexus, but could tell by spinning the wheel in top gear the overall gearing is too low, you could replace the chainwheel cog with a large one to get a larger ratio. Basically 1st is like first on a mountain bike. I never used a gear that low on the road. Shouldn't be too expensive, if you know what gear ratios you want, ie if you have a road bike perhaps looking at similar gearing, 42/12-25.

Dan I've got a Giant racing bike, seems fine. Quite a few people don't like carbon/alu frame mix, something to do with the contact points between the two materials. Alu frame and carbon fork is fine though.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #497 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptmunich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoy the bike, but sometimes wish it had a bit more speed in the high gears. The first 2 gears are far too "spinny" (what's the term I'm looking for?) and the 8th gear isn't quite as fast as my old derailleurs were on my old bike.

If by too "spinny" you mean too easy to pedal under given circumstances, then those gearings are too "short" for the circumstances. "Spinny" gears are for steep hills, long climbs, and stiff headwinds; you'll need them too. the human body as an engine is most efficient spinning the pedals at a steady speed north of 50RPM; match your drivetrain gearing to the terrain to keep spinning the pedals at a high steady speed.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #498 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was considering a Nexus, but could tell by spinning the wheel in top gear the overall gearing is too low, you could replace the chainwheel cog with a large one to get a larger ratio. Basically 1st is like first on a mountain bike. I never used a gear that low on the road. Shouldn't be too expensive, if you know what gear ratios you want, ie if you have a road bike perhaps looking at similar gearing, 42/12-25.

Dan I've got a Giant racing bike, seems fine. Quite a few people don't like carbon/alu frame mix, something to do with the contact points between the two materials. Alu frame and carbon fork is fine though.

Err, so I would need to replace the bit at the front or the back? Sorry, really clueless
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the bike specs if it helps:
Google Translate

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #499 of 4,419
Old pa, yes you want to keep it around 60-80 rpm, but give an example if you stick it on mtb front small chainwheel, and only use rear gear selection all of them are too low. Ideal if the road to work is a 45' incline for miles. I would say if the gears stay around roadie middle ring. With perhaps 1st gear a bit lower (seen rear sprockets that are much bigger than the one next to it)

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #500 of 4,419
PaceRC2001.jpg

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #502 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old pa, yes you want to keep it around 60-80 rpm, but give an example if you stick it on mtb front small chainwheel, and only use rear gear selection all of them are too low. Ideal if the road to work is a 45' incline for miles. I would say if the gears stay around roadie middle ring. With perhaps 1st gear a bit lower (seen rear sprockets that are much bigger than the one next to it)

I thought we were talking about Aptmunich's steel commuter with a single chainwheel and a Shimano in-hub 8 spd rear. I haven't counted teeth on that bike, but my guess is it's pretty much in the middle of the range; not a lot of choice compared with modern 27 or 30 gear triple chainwheels. My answer was addressed to that. You could climb a tree with any of my triple chainwheel rigs.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #507 of 4,419
At the moment I'm racing an aluminum Cannondale CAAD9 with Shimano Ultegra and deep aluminum rims. I built it up over a couple of months because I had to cobble together parts but I think it turned out really well. Its by no means the most expensive bike I've seen but it works really well for me.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #508 of 4,419
Racing on a carbon framed Focus (not sure if they sell that in the US) with Ultegra SL but hoping to get enough money in the summer to build up a cyclocross bike and go rampaging through the cold Devon countryside.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #509 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Racing on a carbon framed Focus (not sure if they sell that in the US) with Ultegra SL but hoping to get enough money in the summer to build up a cyclocross bike and go rampaging through the cold Devon countryside.

Focus is hard to come by in the US but they are really nice looking bikes. Congratulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back