Bicycle-Fi!
May 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #451 of 4,419
Just thought I should post some photos of yesterday's ride. I took the Red Rock canyon loop and almost died trying to climb. The headwinds didn't help much either.
bigsmile_face.gif

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

May 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #454 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what sucks about living in the desert - it is too windy too often! I would prefer to ride in the rain, than ride in the wind.

Nice pics by the way XxATOLxX.

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Now we have heat and headwinds
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Remove those wheel reflectors, it knocks your wheel balance out!

Will it make a noticeable difference in the performance? Las Vegas drivers suck and I would like to be as visible as possible.

May 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #455 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will it make a noticeable difference in the performance? Las Vegas drivers suck and I would like to be as visible as possible.

For visibility, I wear brightly colored clothes and make sure I make eye contact with cage drivers heading my way; otherwise they are untrustable. The main reason I remove wheel and pedal reflectors is because they are cheap tacky eyesore mandated arbitrarily by Big Government's regulatory nazis as having to be on my bike at delivery (and guess who gets to pay for them?).

I do make sure my shoes have reflective panels, as that pedal motion reflectivity is an eyecatcher in headlights at the dusk and dark. And I use a bright blinking tail light at dusk and in the dark because who wants a Detroit suppository.
eek.gif

May 31, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #457 of 4,419
i will be switching from shimano pedals that pick up mud like nothing else to CrankBrothers which can be used even in wet, muddy conditions. I have the XT from shimano and they are great on the road and for light cross-country stuff, but for off roads in cyclocross conditions, are the worst.

May 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #458 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i will be switching from shimano pedals that pick up mud like nothing else to CrankBrothers which can be used even in wet, muddy conditions. I have the XT from shimano and they are great on the road and for light cross-country stuff, but for off roads in cyclocross conditions, are the worst.

Good choice. I have the mallets on my Specialized, I love Crank Bros' mechanism.

May 31, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #459 of 4,419
I just (mostly) finished building up my single speed. This thing started life as a Giant Boulder, now the only original Boulder parts are the headset and handlebar (soon to be changed). It needs a seatpost though, the first ride wasn't very comfortable!
P1000091.jpg

P1000092.jpg

Of course, I can't post bike pictures without throwing in my true love, the SX Trail.
P1000023.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #462 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a carbon fiber seatpost . I did , much less butt-rumble
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I guess you've never heard of seatpost splitting in two and resulting razor sharp going where things aren't supposed to go.. you get the point
icon10.gif

No problem for roadies but for off roaders seatpost may take some knocks.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #465 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rotated cow bars to lower ride height? I'd look into a proper road bike with drop bars..

Probably would just be a lot simpler to just use a stem with a normal amount of rise and a flat bar - plus orientate the bar ends in a more usable direction. Kinda like this...

3563601754_477f7db52a.jpg

Wheel reflectors are a good idea, they work very well for cars which may be approaching from the side. As for wheel 'balance', the valve stem and rim join will also impact this, a 5g piece of plastic isn't going to make any difference. If it really bothers you put another one on the opposing side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo
i will be switching from shimano pedals that pick up mud like nothing else to CrankBrothers

Crank Brothers' pedals are notorious for premature bearing failure, often resulting in the whole body sliding off the pedal spindle. Yes, they are a nice design and very resistant to clogging with mud, however there are other designs around with similar virtues. Check out Time or the new Look mtb pedals. Having been a Time user for >10 years I've now been using Looks the past few months and am very impressed with them - extremely light, resistant to clogging, good engagement, bearing quality and durability seems fine but we'll find out over the next few months...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back