Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3,541 of 4,419
  Haaa ! I knew it !

tongue.gif

Not funny but true that it's about all the Campi parts I could afford on a bike
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,542 of 4,419
Back in the day when I rode a lot more I also had a Steel Peg with Campy Record 10.

I like the Aluminum Fina more so that's what I kept...go figure. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3,543 of 4,419
  Back in the day when I rode a lot more I also had a Steel Peg with Campy Record 10.

I like the Aluminum Fina more so that's what I kept...go figure. 

Do you tend to ride around The City? And also take B.A.R.T. and ride in the Eastbay? And perhaps Marin Cty too?

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,544 of 4,419
  Do you tend to ride around The City? And also take B.A.R.T. and ride in the Eastbay? And perhaps Marin Cty too?

I live in the City. I like to ride Golden Gate Park and Presidio because there are less cars.
The best rides are in Marin: Paradise, Alpine Lake, Muir Beach, The Headlands etc....as much as you can handle...
There's alo a 25 mile loop around SF that goes through the 3 big parks - Golden Gate, Presidio and Lincoln.
That's a nice ride if you don't want to deal with the bridge.
I don't BART or ride in the East Bay.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,545 of 4,419
  I live in the City. I like to ride Golden Gate Park and Presidio because there are less cars.
The best rides are in Marin: Paradise, Alpine Lake, Muir Beach, The Headlands etc....as much as you can handle...
There's alo a 25 mile loop around SF that goes through the 3 big parks - Golden Gate, Presidio and Lincoln.
That's a nice ride if you don't want to deal with the bridge.
I don't BART or ride in the East Bay.

In moons past, I have enjoyed walking, cycling and driving around Golden Gate Park and Presidio. Some of the most gorgeous and precious public pieces of real estate I've enjoyed that didn't cost money! Can't wait to drive up with Cervelo S5 mounted on the roof and revisit. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #3,546 of 4,419
After years of going fast on bikes I decided to try something different.  Bikepacking/touring/commuting.  Surly Straggler for pavement and light trail work with Revelate Design bags.  Planning another camping trip next weekend.  Amazed how light camping gear has become.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #3,547 of 4,419
In searching for the ultimate cycle drink.........

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-1300-TurboBlend-4500/dp/B0000YRJT6

Whole oranges, pears with seeds and peels, grapes with vine, dragon fruit and green and red apples with seeds and peel.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,548 of 4,419
Did you find that these gps phone apps are highly addictive? Strava is also a free app for Android. I share my stats on Facebook.

Indeed they are. Just so many UIs to try out. Basically, the same shown info though. However, I find RWGPS to be the nicest looking over all. I've been using Google's My Tracks a lot lately, just because there is an app extension that allows me to control the app from my Pebble watch. So convenient, it's ridiculous. I share my stats on Google+, sometimes.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,549 of 4,419
Indeed they are. Just so many UIs to try out. Basically, the same shown info though. However, I find RWGPS to be the nicest looking over all. I've been using Google's My Tracks a lot lately, just because there is an app extension that allows me to control the app from my Pebble watch. So convenient, it's ridiculous. I share my stats on Google+, sometimes.

That's the thing. Having a phone mounted in a waterproof holder on my bars is good to view and turn on but I know the heat from the sun is not good for the battery. Having a phone in the pocket controlled by a watch would be better. Also they have stated that the gps program works even with simple gps watches?

Having a smart phone mounted to your bars is really good for reading gps maps. It is like having a nav system if you are lost in a new place. This maybe a little of a risk to read while removing your attention from the road at hand?

I know it was so easy to use with the iPhone 4, just a 1 minute download of the Strava program, then push the start button. To turn it to pause, you push pause if you don't want your time calculated while resting. After pause if you push ride end, it calculates everything and allows you to email the data or publish it to places like Facebook.

The only trick is to name each ride different for easy later reference.

Still I would say using it is as easy as recording a video with the iPhone 4. It is also free for Android users too. You can pay to upgrade but altitude, time and distance along with a delineated map of your ride is in free mode and really most folks need.

The free version also shows average speed, top speed and an easy to read graph page with the info in graph form. In graph form the hills you climb look like hills, that maybe the altitude info? Your top speed is also easy to spot in graph form being the tallest value. The speed traveled graph looks like hills also as you slow down on hill climbs and speed up on decents so it appears as mountains.

I know that everyone is going to use the info a different way, as some are looking at total ride time, others with distance traveled or me with my 900 ft an hour climbing logs.

These gps bike computers also do the same affect as having a sparky ride partner who pulls you along. Trying to beat your past score on a similar route causes you to ride in your own personal race against your past data.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3,550 of 4,419
Just found this picture of my original 2003 GT LTS Thermoplastic Full suspension. Weighed around 26lbs. with v-brakes.

Looked awesome and had awesome technology but squeaked like a "sum-ova-gum"! People could hear me coming from miles away 
redface.gif

This was taken in Jim Thorpe, Buzzard Point trail, in the Lehigh Valley Gorge. 2000' drop straight down, behind me! I look much younger 11 years ago. What the hell happened???

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #3,552 of 4,419
Moved to a Santa Cruz Heckler which brought me down to 25lbs. Going 31 mph downhill at Killington, Vt. I hit a rock, snapped off
my chain stay, and hit the ground HARD.

For $300, Santa Cruz gracefully replaced my frame with a newer Heckler Ultralight, which improved the shock from a Cane Creek 10 to a Fox (big improvement).
Also, it came with the standoffs that allowed me to move up to some Avid disc breaks, front and rear. Dropped another pound to 24lbs.

Taking a refreshing summer dip
cool.gif
:

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,554 of 4,419
That's a beauty of a Klein...
What is the crankset? Arms look a lot like Cook Bros, but I don't remember them making a multi speed set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back