Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,513 of 4,425
Love that shot! 
thumbsup.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #3,514 of 4,425
  Redcarmoose, how does the FAT tires roll, feel versus a more standard tire?

Well, I need to get some tread, "my tires" is a type of oxymoron statement. Maybe good on sand? The tires only take 30 PSI so they don't have pressure, but if you feel em with your hand you would think there is 75 PSI in there, like car tires.There is more surface friction than standard tires. Still I have not done a ton of off road yet. On the street they are a work-out but really smooth and safe feeling. Holes in the road mean nothing to em.

I also think the rims are hard to get untrue, unlike a roadbike after an epic hole contact. I just climbed the hill I ride and it was not so bad. Frame is the stiffest I have ever had. The fun part is the sound, like a monster truck.lol

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #3,515 of 4,425
How are the fat bikes in snow? My road bike gets to see sunlight maybe 4-5 months in a year, and the fatties look like they'd bode well for the rest of the year. This thread is turning out to be almost as bad for my wallet as rest of the head-fi. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #3,516 of 4,425
How are the fat bikes in snow? My road bike gets to see sunlight maybe 4-5 months in a year, and the fatties look like they'd bode well for the rest of the year. This thread is turning out to be almost as bad for my wallet as rest of the head-fi. :D

This January they are having a big fat bike event in Jackson Hole Wyoming. There are You Tube videos from last year
Amazing as I have skied that area and it is one the hardest in the world, just shy of the best. They say that you treat the snow just like skiing where fresh snow is the most fun.

Sounds like they are made for snow, better for em than sand too!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=937_1412021391

If you have a snowmobile gathering dust in summer there is always this trick.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,517 of 4,425

Well, I need to get some tread, "my tires" is a type of oxymoron statement. Maybe good on sand? The tires only take 30 PSI so they don't have pressure, but if you feel em with your hand you would think there is 75 PSI in there, like car tires.There is more surface friction than standard tires. Still I have not done a ton of off road yet. On the street they are a work-out but really smooth and safe feeling. Holes in the road mean nothing to em.

I also think the rims are hard to get untrue, unlike a roadbike after an epic hole contact. I just climbed the hill I ride and it was not so bad. Frame is the stiffest I have ever had. The fun part is the sound, like a monster truck.lol

Since Labor Day, I've been driving over to Bixby Knolls once or twice a week and strolling with my friend to shop and talk. She loves it! I can imagine rollin' through the district on a "Fattie" though, hummin' tires and all! 
biggrin.gif

How are the fat bikes in snow? My road bike gets to see sunlight maybe 4-5 months in a year, and the fatties look like they'd bode well for the rest of the year. This thread is turning out to be almost as bad for my wallet as rest of the head-fi. 
biggrin.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3,518 of 4,425
Since Labor Day, I've been driving over to Bixby Knolls once or twice a week and strolling with my friend to shop and talk. She loves it! I can imagine rollin' through the district on a "Fattie" though, hummin' tires and all! :D

:evil:

Bixby Knolls is where BMX history was made in 1970. I didn't make it there till 74.
http://www.signaltribunenewspaper.com/?p=8260

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #3,519 of 4,425
Oct 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #3,520 of 4,425
  Wow - glad I found this thread - almost spend as much on bikes as I do HeadFi gear - anyway.. here's my new BikeFi purchase for this year: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2 with Zipp 30 wheels.  Six weeks old and almost 1800km.

Good thing I keep my bikes a lot longer than my HeadFi gear - the Domane replaces a 2009 Stevens 105 which is sitting pretty lonely in the basement (at least it's on the trainer)

Love your rides Mickey, that white Stevens is to die for
smile.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3,521 of 4,425
^^ Thanks Podster. I've had a lot of compliments on the Stevens over the years. It's really served me well but I'm considering selling it.  The Trek is so much more comfortable and responsive and as such, I have only ridden the Stevens once since I got the Trek. My old bones are really appreciating an endurance bike.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,522 of 4,425
How are the fat bikes in snow? My road bike gets to see sunlight maybe 4-5 months in a year, and the fatties look like they'd bode well for the rest of the year. This thread is turning out to be almost as bad for my wallet as rest of the head-fi. :D

.we got 40km this day. The real fun of snow riding is reading the conditions, every day is different. One step off here and you're waist deep, but the riding was great

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,523 of 4,425
  ^^ Thanks Podster. I've had a lot of compliments on the Stevens over the years. It's really served me well but I'm considering selling it.  The Trek is so much more comfortable and responsive and as such, I have only ridden the Stevens once since I got the Trek. My old bones are really appreciating an endurance bike.

Yes sir, totally different geometry between those two machines. Keep on Trek-king
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,524 of 4,425
Sweet! may make me consider not hibrinating over the winter.  It's the trainer and Spinervals plus lap swimming for me.
Are the tracks laid down specific for biking?
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back