Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,496 of 4,425
  Changed to black.

Very nice RedCar, love the hydraulics
biggrin.gif
 Yes, being from Austin and riding the Wednesday night West side rides back in Lances 7-11 days (no I did not have a direct acquaintance with him as I was just a mediocre rider at best) I finally decided I did not have what it took to be a serious competitor. Not to mention funding I turned to my cruiser community and that is when biking really became fun for me, my idea of great rides were get up late (these may have been some of my slacker years
rolleyes.gif
) ride across Austin 15-20 miles, eat, drink and socialize with like minded riders and then make the trip back all on our single speeds. This is how my entire family rides today, we take off and do a 10-15 into town and eat, drink and site see then make the return trip. For me this is priceless
wink_face.gif

Here's the family stable
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3,497 of 4,425
  Changed to black.

Very nice RedCar, love those hydraulics
regular_smile .gif
 Being from Austin and riding in the old Wednesday night rides out West when Lance was riding with the 7-11 Team (No I had no direct relationship with Live Strong, I was a mediocre rider at best) I finally gave up on road biking realizing I was not going to be a top competitor not to mention funding either. I found the cruiser community and began my true love in biking, to me a great bike ride was getting up late (this may have been during some of my slacker years
rolleyes.gif
) riding across Austin 15-20 miles, eating and drinking while socializing with like minded fellow riders then riding back. This is the way my entire family rides today, we ride halfway across or to downtown, eat drink and site see then ride home. This is truly priceless for me
wink_face.gif

Here's the family stable, one for all and all for one speeds
cool.gif

My apologies for the double post, it looked as if I had lost the post, dang illiterate posters
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,498 of 4,425
Very nice RedCar, love the hydraulics:D  Yes, being from Austin and riding the Wednesday night West side rides back in Lances 7-11 days (no I did not have a direct acquaintance with him as I was just a mediocre rider at best) I finally decided I did not have what it took to be a serious competitor. Not to mention funding I turned to my cruiser community and that is when biking really became fun for me, my idea of great rides were get up late (these may have been some of my slacker years:rolleyes: ) ride across Austin 15-20 miles, eat, drink and socialize with like minded riders and then make the trip back all on our single speeds. This is how my entire family rides today, we take off and do a 10-15 into town and eat, drink and site see then make the return trip. For me this is priceless:wink_face:  

Here's the family stable:wink:

My other bikes have hydraulic brakes, I love them. This one has dreaded cable pulls. The type of cable-brakes here actually just stop breaking with no warning when they fail. Lucky all bikes have two so you have a back-up.

First thing to change on this is to go hydraulic.

So the Lance days are late eighties right. I'm the same age as you.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,499 of 4,425
Yes, when I put the Hydro's on the Yeti I decided to start having them on all my bikes. 235Lbs is a lot to real in at speed especially when your bike only has one on the rear, going to put one on the back of the new Santa Cruz 29'er before summer gets here. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,500 of 4,425
I run avid mechanicals on the fat bike. I take that thing to some really weird remote places, carrying an extra cable is nothing but if a hydro line fails I'm toast. I run hydros on the rest of my bikes.

There are a few full suspension fat bikes coming out now, turner in particular I'm excited about. I'll sell most of my stable to get one!

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,501 of 4,425
Yeah, all my riding these days is 98% street so they don't take too much abuse and rarely have any failures. I'll get a fat bike next summer but I'm looking to a more expensive light version, I can't resist a little dropping in and jumping over when need be
rolleyes.gif
 One of my local shops has a nice Salsa frame I was thinking about building up
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,502 of 4,425
I could see myself someday getting a straight fork single speed clunker with a kick brake. I bet I could get a TI one that would be light. That way no complications. If you ride a lot and don't do your own work it can be a little time involved.

Maybe the smartest just get new bikes every two seasons.

My main bike had some brake adjustment issues today. I got a better work out as it was keeping my rear rim from free-wheeling.:p

When I think back about the road bikes I used they were not even close to the maintenance done today with front and rear shocks, seat shocks. I would buy new rims every couple years, get the bottom bracket rebuilt every year or two and that was it. New tires when needed but that was it.

Now we need our own pit crew!

This is my first bike with only one chainring in the front. I could see how people like it. Hard to really figure out the missing gears as this is not a normal mountain bike. Still I like not having the problem of front chainrings dropping chains. It is simple and quite too.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,503 of 4,425
I could see myself someday getting a straight fork single speed clunker with a kick brake. I bet I could get a TI one that would be light. That way no complications. If you ride a lot and don't do your own work it can be a little time involved.

Maybe the smartest just get new bikes every two seasons.

My main bike had some brake adjustment issues today. I got a better work out as it was keeping my rear rim from free-wheeling.
tongue.gif

When I think back about the road bikes I used they were not even close to the maintenance done today with front and rear shocks, seat shocks. I would buy new rims every couple years, get the bottom bracket rebuilt every year or two and that was it. New tires when needed but that was it.

Now we need our own pit crew!

I don't know about a kick brake but I built up an old TI frame as my workout hill climber and just love it
wink_face.gif
 Pretty sure I posted it not long ago, I tell all my roadie/mountain bikes buddies to find an old TI or Compo and we can built them a nice one to ride with me, a couple have already done it and they all say the same thing 2 miles in and on the first climb. "Dude, why are we doing this on singles again, my thighs are killing me"
blink.gif
 LOL as I say exactly
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,505 of 4,425
As I'm sure you know, less weight is more $$, quickly.

If I could afford it, I'd grab one if those Salsa Bucksaws in an instant.

Yes sir JPoc, $1800.00 here locally to me. I'm going to shave about $500 to $600 off of that going with a single speed but still a hefty chunk of change for a single (it is a specialty niche bike after all)
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,506 of 4,425

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3,508 of 4,425
Wow - glad I found this thread - almost spend as much on bikes as I do HeadFi gear - anyway.. here's my new BikeFi purchase for this year: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2 with Zipp 30 wheels.  Six weeks old and almost 1800km.

Good thing I keep my bikes a lot longer than my HeadFi gear - the Domane replaces a 2009 Stevens 105 which is sitting pretty lonely in the basement (at least it's on the trainer)

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #3,510 of 4,425
Redcarmoose, how does the FAT tires roll, feel versus a more standard tire?

They roll fine...it's the big weight in the wheels that you can feel especially on climbs. I have close to 10000km on fat wheels now, they aren't great on the road but then again they are a cushy ride...off road there is nothing to compare them to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back