Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,481 of 4,419
My XC weapon of choice.
The 120mm fork makes it a capable trail bike and I probably ride it on the edge of its designed use.

ugu2yna4.jpg

5y7azyqe.jpg

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3,483 of 4,419

So I purchased another bike today. No not one of those in the above picture. I post a shot of it soon.

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #3,484 of 4,419

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,485 of 4,419

Whoosh, that's sweet !

How well does it roll over sand ?

I've wanted to pick a bike for my mom since a few weeks now and I've stumbled upon this :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/fr/kona-token-girl-bike/rp-prod117016

It's basically a de-electrified Token, at a much much lower price.

It's not ideal, front-suspended 
frown.gif
and certainly a bit on the heavy side, but it looks good to my eyes (and to my mother's
biggrin.gif
).

What do you guys think of it ?

I'd like to be able to buy something better, but simple city bikes are hard to come by these days where I am.

It's almost like you have to pay 700 bucks just to have a full featured rigid lady's bike. It's sadly out of my reach.

Has anyone here has any experience with Kona's ?

PS: There's also that one http://www.wiggle.fr/velo-femme-kona-coco-2014/ , lovely bike...

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,486 of 4,419
Whoosh, that's sweet !

How well does it roll over sand ?

I've wanted to pick a bike for my mom since a few weeks now and I've stumbled upon this :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/fr/kona-token-girl-bike/rp-prod117016

It's basically a de-electrified Token, at a much much lower price.

It's not ideal, front-suspended :frowning2: and certainly a bit on the heavy side, but it looks good to my eyes (and to my mother's :D ).

What do you guys think of it ?

I'd like to be able to buy something better, but simple city bikes are hard to come by these days where I am.

It's almost like you have to pay 700 bucks just to have a full featured rigid lady's bike. It's sadly out of my reach.

Has anyone here has any experience with Kona's ?

PS: There's also that one http://www.wiggle.fr/velo-femme-kona-coco-2014/ , lovely bike...

Have not tried it in sand. It's the closest thing to a Walmart bike I have ever had. It rides lighter than it looks. It is the beach (sidewalk of the beach) cruser in my collection.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3,488 of 4,419
I don't want to be a party pooper on the sand idea but unless you plan to do a full disassembly, full on cleaning and re-lubricating it the sand is the worst environment you can take your bike into. Once you get that finite sand all into your moving parts the destruction and havoc it does is disastrous and costly!

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,489 of 4,419
I don't want to be a party pooper on the sand idea but unless you plan to do a full disassembly, full on cleaning and re-lubricating it the sand is the worst environment you can take your bike into. Once you get that finite sand all into your moving parts the destruction and havoc it does is disastrous and costly!

I agree, the first time I saw people riding along the beach water edge I thought, Wow. Where I am from in California it is not permitted unless you go to unused out of the way places. Here they ride bikes right on the beach. Talk about trashing a bike.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,490 of 4,419
Yessir, that is a fact. I do love that fat tire rides though, been thinking of building up a nice single speed one for my collection
bigsmile_face.gif

They rent these  http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/rentals/rent-bicycles-on-south-padre-island.html   on Padre Island but they are built on the cheapest of parts and as I'm told go through them like hotcakes! The thing is they can just replace them at the rate of a weekly rental and they do a lot more of the half day rentals which means they can replace (or basically buy three seasons worth) of replacements for one week of rentals during one peak week of renting. 

If I had me some Skillz I'd like to build a fat tire knockoff of one of these type bikes to ride across the beach in/on
wink_face.gif
 (yes I realize every beach trip would require a re-build upon  return to reality) LOL 

I rented one of these down in Galveston 20 years ago, as long as the sand was wet and packed these skinny tires would do fine.

Seems like this would be a race model
blink.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,491 of 4,419
Yessir, that is a fact. I do love that fat tire rides though, been thinking of building up a nice single speed one for my collection:bigsmile_face:  

They rent these  http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/rentals/rent-bicycles-on-south-padre-island.html   on Padre Island but they are built on the cheapest of parts and as I'm told go through them like hotcakes! The thing is they can just replace them at the rate of a weekly rental and they do a lot more of the half day rentals which means they can replace (or basically buy three seasons worth) of replacements for one week of rentals during one peak week of renting. 

If I had me some Skillz I'd like to build a fat tire knockoff of one of these type bikes to ride across the beach in/on:wink_face:  (yes I realize every beach trip would require a re-build upon  return to reality) LOL 

I rented one of these down in Galveston 20 years ago, as long as the sand was wet and packed these skinny tires would do fine.

Seems like this would be a race model:blink:

That is one of the best things about being an old foggy cyclist. In my mid twenties I had Italian racing bikes and only snarled at the general bike public, going to all ends to win every race. Now I don't care. Nothing to prove.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3,492 of 4,419
I hear you Redcar, I too only buy bikes to have fun on and enjoy with family and friends, I'm pretty sure I don't scare many of them either except my wife says my baby (he's 11) is just like his dad and can pedal until the cows come home
rolleyes.gif
 LOL

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,493 of 4,419
Changed to black.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,494 of 4,419

It's a fat bike. Snow and sand are where it shines....I get snow but some of my best rides have been on beaches when I have a chance. Fat biking changed my cycling life, it became less about racing and more about getting there. I don't find them terribly maintenance heavy, just keep up with the cleaning

Nice bike moose

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,495 of 4,419
It's a fat bike. Snow and sand are where it shines....I get snow but some of my best rides have been on beaches when I have a chance. Fat biking changed my cycling life, it became less about racing and more about getting there. I don't find them terribly maintenance heavy, just keep up with the cleaning

Nice bike moose

It's kinda a Walmart fat bike. I rode it today, and actually like the idea, stairways with 5 foot drops are really easy, even after beers.:p

Maybe I will get a real one someday. This is just a starter and I would not ever want it to be my only bike. Good ones can end up getting as light as a normal mountain bike, this one is a tank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back