Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,061 of 4,419
Can't believe it took me this long to find this thread ...  Good stuff!

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3,063 of 4,419
If anyone is after a set of lights I'd recommend getting these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CREE-5000Lm-XM-L-U2-LED-Bicycle-bike-Headlamp-Headlight-Black-/111209291979?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item19e49720cb

Cheap but amazingly bright for those night rides. Done some singletrail/forest riding and they work great!
Picking up my Cratoni helmet later to test, been looking for something to use daily as I've only got my full face left

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,065 of 4,419
Would love some advice on from the experts here...my fiancee' is doing tris now, plus she and I have both always just wanted to ride road bikes.  I'm getting in this for the long haul with her so I'm going to be putting in some serious miles with her on training rides.  I have around a $2000 budget and have always liked Specialized bikes, plus she's bought one and the local bike shop she likes carries Specialized, Trek, and Felt.  Have any suggestions?  From my mountain bike days, the thought was to buy as much frame as you could and then upgrade components as you had $$$, but that was a decade ago.  And I probably don't know 1/3rd as much as I thought I did.  Suggestions?  Thanks guys.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,066 of 4,419
I ride a bunch, like 500mi a week. I have way too many bikes, my "best" ride is a 10yr old Lightspeed with an Ultegra grouppo. Honestly I think either Steel or Ti is the way to go, particularly if you are over 50 like I am. You can probably get hooked up with a lightly used High End Bike on the 'Bay, a lot of guys turn their gear over frequently and it's a good place to g e t a great deal on a good ride. Depending on where you live CL is good too.

Since I joined this forum to talk about hifi, I take my tunes with me on my rides and use a Plantronics wireless. Thinking I could carry my gear in my jersey pocket and use my FIIO, maybe I could ride faster if the Tunes sounded better :))

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,067 of 4,419
I ride a bunch, like 500mi a week. I have way too many bikes, my "best" ride is a 10yr old Lightspeed with an Ultegra grouppo. Honestly I think either Steel or Ti is the way to go, particularly if you are over 50 like I am. You can probably get hooked up with a lightly used High End Bike on the 'Bay, a lot of guys turn their gear over frequently and it's a good place to g e t a great deal on a good ride. Depending on where you live CL is good too.

Since I joined this forum to talk about hifi, I take my tunes with me on my rides and use a Plantronics wireless. Thinking I could carry my gear in my jersey pocket and use my FIIO, maybe I could ride faster if the Tunes sounded better
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I'd have to agree on the steel thing. It's much more maintainable than either Al or CF in the long run. The weight game is largely non relevant for an amateur cyclist who is not turning 200 k a day. As they are not "en vogue" right now incredible deals can be had on steel bikes in the used market. That 2 grand you have available, will get you in steel, what 7 grand might buy you in a CF bike.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #3,068 of 4,419
   It's much more maintainable than either Al or CF in the long run. The weight game is largely non relevant for an amateur cyclist who is not turning 200 k a day. As they are not "en vogue" right now incredible deals can be had on steel bikes in the used market. That 2 grand you have available, will get you in steel, what 7 grand might buy you in a CF bike.

What do you mean by "it's much more maintainable" ?

While I'm not one of those weight weenies, I like CF. Now it might come from the fact that I've never paid big bucks for it.

Lovely, strong and durable (and light, at 7.5 KGs).

Paid 700 bucks for it.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #3,069 of 4,419
  What do you mean by "it's much more maintainable" ?

While I'm not one of those weight weenies, I like CF. Now it might come from the fact that I've never paid big bucks for it.

Lovely, strong and durable (and light, at 7.5 KGs).

Paid 700 bucks for it.

When CF fails it's replace, not repair. When steel fails it is far less catastrophic and usually you can bend it back into shape and get home. Nics and abrasions are cancerous to CF, none to good for Al and don't faze steel at all.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #3,071 of 4,419
I think the original question regarding Motobecane still should be discussed. As noted, most bikes are built in Tiawan, including this "French" label. A lot of brands have moved production there. It's important not to "knock" "Made in China" because a lot of good stuff is built there. I think the most important points are the frame material (steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon), but also components. For an old guy like me, aluminum is a light but punishing ride. Motobecane has a carbon frame, but I find it's not a great frame and the ride feels dead.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3,073 of 4,419
Your strategy is good, but seriously, get her fit professionally and buy her a second hand bike. My guess is you can buy a topline bike for 2K

Buying used is certainly the best move here...

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #3,074 of 4,419
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #3,075 of 4,419

I'd have to agree on the steel thing. It's much more maintainable than either Al or CF in the long run. The weight game is largely non relevant for an amateur cyclist who is not turning 200 k a day. As they are not "en vogue" right now incredible deals can be had on steel bikes in the used market. That 2 grand you have available, will get you in steel, what 7 grand might buy you in a CF bike.

The problem with steel is that...well, I don't think the major two brands we have (Specialized, Cannondale) have any steel road bikes.  Am I wrong there?  I just see CF and aluminum.  Was planning to avoid CF for the cost/potential fatigue factor.  This bike needs to last me a long while.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back