Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #241 of 4,428
Old Pa, the reason I say I need a new bottom bracket ( or think I may) is because the bolt holding on my right crank constantly comes loose. I think the threads in the BB maybe be worn or the hole is warped. I'm a pretty big guy (6'7'' 225lbs), my size leads me to believe that I have stressed the BB to the point where the above situation has occurred, but I dont know for sure. That is one of the reasons I asked for a book...so that I know how to take apart the BB to see whats doing down there. If its not the BB I must have a warped crank or something else...best case scenario is that the bolt just needs to be replaced. Though I have checked that and it looks just fine. Who knows...

Thanks for the advice, at least now I have a starting reference.

edit: Cool website xnothingpoetic, thanks for the info.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #242 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting riding display until the soundtrack drove me away.

Trek is a big namebrand like Cannondale with commenserate pricing and MAP policies. They have models of each type at various pricepoints but, IMHO, cannot be considered to be a "value" bike. These big brands are sold around me by bike shop chains that push volume through a high turnover of young pushy sales people who do not know their product or biking in general, will not negotiate price, can be deceptive to the inexperienced and are more often than not obnoxious. They are the force that caused me to learn about bikes, buy them mailorder and how to wrench them myself.

hi,

thanks for the informative reply..

i called up their store in singapore and inquired...their bikes start from $300 without accessories ..so i guess rite now its out of my budget.

maybe once i complete the race i am participating in next month..i may consider a good bike for my this revived hobby

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #243 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa, the reason I say I need a new bottom bracket ( or think I may) is because the bolt holding on my right crank constantly comes loose. I think the threads in the BB maybe be worn or the hole is warped. I'm a pretty big guy (6'7'' 225lbs), my size leads me to believe that I have stressed the BB to the point where the above situation has occurred, but I dont know for sure. That is one of the reasons I asked for a book...so that I know how to take apart the BB to see whats doing down there. If its not the BB I must have a warped crank or something else...best case scenario is that the bolt just needs to be replaced. Though I have checked that and it looks just fine. Who knows...

Thanks for the advice, at least now I have a starting reference.

edit: Cool website xnothingpoetic, thanks for the info.

Depending on the BB you may be able to buy new bearings and races and save the spindle. If it was my bike I would remove the BB and clean the area well, then I would chase the threads and verify the faces of the BB are paralell to one another (otherwise instead of || you may have |\, |/, /\, \/, etc.) and would be a reason for loosening up. Then after inspecting the bearings/races I would lubricate them and re-install them. If sealed bearings you would have to purchase new cartridges.

In critical bolts you may want to use locktite, but make sure it is not the permanent one. See: https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/146071CBA2CDB3FC882571870000D60E/$File/243-EN.pdf

Good luck.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #244 of 4,428
hey guys....can Slick tires be fitted on a 26" Mountain bike?

also, my seat height at maximum is still low for me....what to do

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #245 of 4,428
yep, many types of tread for MTB. even some semi-slick with file tread for dry / hard pack off-road.

with regards to bottom bracket / cranks, if theres rounding off in the square taper i think it's upgrade time. have a look at the shimano catalogue, they do a range of really good chainsets with the BB built into the chainring arm, the other crank fits onto it by splined fitting. much better.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #247 of 4,428
My current ride, although frame is bust but i am working my way on getting a titus raver x or a santa cruz superlight frame.

The saddle position has also changed, i had a play with the geometry, i now run a shorter stem and a layback thomson seatpost so it looks more natural now.

Also has an xtr chainset and shadow rear mech, pic is in bad need of updating, will take a pic of the new rig in a few months time.

kif0165af9.jpg

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #249 of 4,428
wow.. i finally just ventured into this sub forum.. never knew this existed thanks OLDPA for letting me know this was even here...... let me post some of my stuffz...

some stuff i was working on for the colnago
2yjvhc5.jpg

some extra junk laying around
qxw76o.jpg

a taste of my sick addiction
2cncndf.jpg

my main ride ... the swiss team bmc will have 7900.... and of course being an audiophile i had to get the phonak bmc!!!! hahah...

more stuff to come..
biggrin.gif
... other bikes in my collection.... cervelos.. colnagos... looks... trek.... custom track frames... khs .... etc etc etc

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #250 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow.. i finally just ventured into this sub forum.. never knew this existed thanks OLDPA for letting me know this was even here

Welcome. Thought you belonged here. Nice looking kit. Good stuff to think about on a cold February day.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #252 of 4,428
I recently learned that disk breaks and city snow do not mix well. Not long into my ride, I would start to break and I would hear something that might have sounded like a baby whale being brutally, and slowly, murdered. Its blow horn screaming at a high pitch told me that the little guy was enduring endless amount of agony.I felt bad every time I braked because every time I braked it sounded like I was killing another baby whale.

New pads and break fluid are en route to me. I think i'll stick to v-brakes for the rest of winter in my effort to save the whales- or my life (because I also lost most of my breaking power).

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #253 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome. Thought you belonged here. Nice looking kit. Good stuff to think about on a cold February day.
biggrin.gif

this is what keeps me warm...
biggrin.gif

29dxpn9.jpg

just a few more finishing touches to this bike.. and its done..
campagnolo toe straps
campagnolo c record headset
campagnolo c record pista cranks
cinelli criterium handle bars
colnago "panto" stem

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #255 of 4,428
better hope that doesnt fall over into a snowbank, you won't be able to see it.

Sweet ride. I've got my Gary Fisher in pieces in my dorm room, waiting for the ~15F Rochester temperatures to warm up enough to ride again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back