Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #226 of 4,428
Cool to know that audiophiles and cycling aren't mutually exclusive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been accused of being more of a collector than a rider. Granted he's Cat4 and I'm a casual commuter who races cyclocross when he can get the training in.

My current ridable stable:
- Van Dessel Country Road Bob set up as a fixie (this is the green one w/ the curves)
- On One Il Pompino SS cross
- Santa Cruz Chameleon SS rigid
- Steelman steel/carbon road bike with Ultegra 10 (fantastic bike)
- 2001 Independent Fab Planet X (my FAVORITE bike that I also race, though poorly...)

Frames waiting to build
Ibis Szazbo
2001 Independent Fab Planet X (I loved it so much I got another one...)

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #227 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that seat angle "put you out of business"?

Now come on, guys. That seat may put you out of the business of pedaling from the seat (and many of us are versed in the bike-science of efficient seated pedaling position) but those bikes are meant to be ridden standing on the pedals all the way. Look at those big platforms. Which aint so bad when you figure the physics of lowering the center of gravity by lowering your attachment to the bike. Pedals are pretty low on the bike. Small but not tiny wheels, low CG; I'll bet that bike cuts quick as you can think. And can out run your average street cop.
biggrin.gif

Some dig the look; others figure form follows function.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #229 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now come on, guys. That seat may put you out of business of pedaling from the seat (and many of us are versed in the bike-science of efficient seated pedaling position) but that bike is meant to be ridden standing on the pedals all the way. Look at those big platforms. Which aint so bad when you figure the physics of lowering the center of gravity by lowering your attachment to the bike. Pedals are pretty low. Small but not tiny wheels, low CG; I'll bet that bike cuts quick as you can think. And can out run your average street cop.
biggrin.gif

true that, that's why i said only those versed in that sport will know
regular_smile .gif
... i seen many bikes like this not just the jump / trials but some single speed & fixed gear 'normal' bikes, but i also seen trials / jump bikes without any seat, seat tube is just a strut. i can only observe though, hell i can't even contemplate these flat pedals having used SPDs!

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #230 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that seat angle "put you out of business"?

HAH! I know exactly what you think but really, the SEAT is comfy but I rarely sit on it when pedaling but even when I do, it DOES feel comfortable. It's the frame's geometry that makes it feel ok, but try that on some man-sized bike and it would feel horrible.
Quote:

Now come on, guys. That seat may put you out of the business of pedaling from the seat (and many of us are versed in the bike-science of efficient seated pedaling position) but those bikes are meant to be ridden standing on the pedals all the way. Look at those big platforms. Which aint so bad when you figure the physics of lowering the center of gravity by lowering your attachment to the bike. Pedals are pretty low on the bike. Small but not tiny wheels, low CG; I'll bet that bike cuts quick as you can think. And can out run your average street cop.
biggrin.gif

Some dig the look; others figure form follows function.

You're 100% correct. 24"/26" street mtb bikes do look like that for a reason.

Here's a video that might clear up for what kind of riding you should do!

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #231 of 4,428
I bought an MTB today..26" ..

mainly for Student cycle race i am gonna participate in and then for day to day riding around the neighbourhood.

could have bought Road bike..buy they are delicate for off road..i have damaged lot of their wheel rims while trying stunts which i cant resist on road
biggrin.gif

hey guys..btw hows the 'Trek' brand? is it expensive?

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #232 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJJKKK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a video that might clear up for what kind of riding you should do!

Interesting riding display until the soundtrack drove me away.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys..btw hows the 'Trek' brand? is it expensive?

Trek is a big namebrand like Cannondale with commenserate pricing and MAP policies. They have models of each type at various pricepoints but, IMHO, cannot be considered to be a "value" bike. These big brands are sold around me by bike shop chains that push volume through a high turnover of young pushy sales people who do not know their product or biking in general, will not negotiate price, can be deceptive to the inexperienced and are more often than not obnoxious. They are the force that caused me to learn about bikes, buy them mailorder and how to wrench them myself.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #233 of 4,428
Old Pa, I used to be into cycling for about 10 years (1986-1996). Like you I learned how to do everything except build wheels.

I used to buy the frames and build them up. This including setting the headsets and squaring the BB faces, chase the treads and set the new BB. I had great luck and the last three frames I purchased were: Klein Kirsten for my wife, Cannondale 3.0, and Schwinn Paramount OS (the hand built w/ silver brazing). All three are a dream to ride and just keep on going.

Prior to that I had a Litespeed Ti, nice bike but for some reason I liked the Schwinn Prologue (stolen from me
frown.gif
)better.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #234 of 4,428
When I was a kid, we had a little two wheeler with training wheels that I graduated onto when I turned six. Went up and down the block until the cheap training wheel bracket on one side snapped. My dad yelled at me but would not repair it or take it in to be repaired (he felt the local bike shop was a ripoff; guess that attitude was congenital). After a couple of weeks, I finally took off the remaining training wheel (with pliers, if I remember correctly
biggrin.gif
) and learned to ride two-wheeled myself with only a little road rash.

When I graduated to a three-speed Huffy 26" (from the local Goldblatt's Department Store) when I was 10, I was happy for a couple of years until the little flex chain fitting to the bike's rear hub gear mechanism broke. Once again, my dad yelled at me for "breaking" it but couldn't fix it and wouldn't go to the local bike shop. After a couple of months, when I was downtown on a Saturday, I walked across the river bridge and over to the bike shop with both pieces of the chain shift thing. They sold me a new one for a couple of bucks, I installed it and was back in business.

I have really enjoyed not being completely at the mercy of the local bike shop.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #235 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..btw hows the 'Trek' brand? is it expensive?

trek are a superb brand, being going a long time, & have a broad range.

in '93 i bought a trek 820 (rigid) was heavy but usable when i put some panaracer smoke & dart tyres on it.

in '95 i upgraded to a trek 970 (rigid, true temper OX III steel - very light) which i upgraded parts on. actually i miss the light rigid steel ride.

i think you're ok if you got a frame that's the right size & is triple butted - you can put whatever tyres, suspension & pedals on & you more or less got a racer
smile.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #236 of 4,428
Quote:

Interesting riding display until the soundtrack drove me away.

Yes you need to watch them w/o the sound like I do...

Riding is fun, beats the gym atleast!

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #237 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa, I used to be into cycling for about 10 years (1986-1996). Like you I learned how to do everything except build wheels.

I used to buy the frames and build them up. This including setting the headsets and squaring the BB faces, chase the treads and set the new BB. I had great luck and the last three frames I purchased were: Klein Kirsten for my wife, Cannondale 3.0, and Schwinn Paramount OS (the hand built w/ silver brazing). All three are a dream to ride and just keep on going.

Prior to that I had a Litespeed Ti, nice bike but for some reason I liked the Schwinn Prologue (stolen from me
frown.gif
)better.

Any books/websites you (mrarroyo) or Old Pa can recommend to someone looking to take care of their own biking needs. I have an old Specialized Stumpjumper from '98 that is in definite need of a new bottom bracket, crank set, casset, chain, etc... Are these repairs that a somewhat competent individual can make? How about replacing the cheesy stock front fork?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #238 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any books/websites you (mrarroyo) or Old Pa can recommend to someone looking to take care of their own biking needs. I have an old Specialized Stumpjumper from '98 that is in definite need of a new bottom bracket, crank set, casset, chain, etc... Are these repairs that a somewhat competent individual can make? How about replacing the cheesy stock front fork?

Thanks

I highly recommend the Park Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. It is a great how-to book, and a lot of the better shops that have classes, teach out of this book.

Amazon.com: Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair: C. Calvin Jones: Books

I have it, and I use it regularly to make sure I'm doing things right.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #239 of 4,428
I use Park Tools website for most help I need.
Park Tool Website

And here's an example of how intuitive the guide is by giving great information and descriptive text and images:Park Tool Website

Saved me a lot of frustration too, and I learned so much by doing it myself than taking it to a bike shop.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #240 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend the Park Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. It is a great how-to book, and a lot of the better shops that have classes, teach out of this book.

I use this and also "The Haynes Bicycle Book" in case I need the same thing described two different ways. Both may be available at your local library. Both also have good suggestions as to the basic tools besides a stand that you will want to have available for any given job. A good comfortable and well lit work area will help keep you organized and focused. You need to remember where all the little parts were (and go back).
biggrin.gif

While you may need new drivetrain parts, you definitely need to tear down, clean, lube, re-assemble and adjust. That's also a very good learning exercise, one that we must all take. I don't know if your bottom bracket bearing is a sealed cartridge or not. Many now are and they have pretty good lives. You may find you get a good result from just a complete overhaul.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back