Bicycle-Fi!
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,787 of 4,419

Quote:

I've seen that one before - great stuff.  If you like that, you'll also enjoy this one:

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,793 of 4,419

Quote:

Just saw you thread during a search at RBR. I'm planning on a ti frame in about a year. While having entertained Spectrum, Moots, and Lynsky--Kish is at the top of the list.

Owned a steel Spectrum a few years ago, so design wise Tom Kellogg's work already has currency. That he farms out  frame builds to a factory operation is a minus.

The good news is I have my sizings down to the .5cm, and know exactly the handling characteristic wanted. I'll probably go with a tight interpretation of the Colnago Mxl.

edit: I just noticed Tom is using Seven Cycles now.

You can't go wrong with Kish. The whole process couldn't have gone smoother and the end result is nothing short of perfection. I highly recommend Jim!

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,796 of 4,419

Quote:
fairly new to road bikes, especially carbon ones.. i have been fitted before on a cannondale 56cm frame 

Thinking about checking this out. is it a good bike? I'd appreciate any insight.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/2886407519.html

That's a nice bike! A couple things to keep in mind: That's an aggressive geometry. If you're new to the road, you might fair better with a more compact frame. Also, if you do check out this bike, look over every square inch of the frame to make sure it hasn't been crashed and that there aren't any hair line cracks anywhere. That's the danger with buying used carbon. Also, if you can find out what your seat height should be for your height, the best thing to do would be to dial it in and test ride it. Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,797 of 4,419
^ Agree, personally I would pass on a high mileage carbon frame. An Aluminum Cannondale CAAD 9 or 10 is a great frame with equally great resale-ability. You might be able to walk out of a good shop with a CAAD 10 for $1500-1700 or so.

The Alu. Cannondale Synapse (which is less expensive), is a more forgiving racing style frame. Its geometry accommodates a more relaxed position, allowing the *option* for a higher handlebar, and its steering is slower than the CAAD, Tarmac etc. Style-wise, the Synapse is more or less analogous to the Specialized Roubaix.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,798 of 4,419
That's a nice looking ride sachu has his eyes on! What I would do, I'd get the seller to agree bringing it into one of the many friend LBS' Portland has. Ask for an inspection and fitting if this is the one.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,799 of 4,419
it's Portland though, wouldn't you want something with fenders on it?  Loving the heck out of the 2010 Jamis Aurora I picked up while I was in P-town last year, comfy and rides pretty fast (hills do become good workouts) and can withstand the occasional monsoon that comes along in this area.

Does look like a great bike at a great price though.  Wonder if it's still worth the asking price for just the parts if he can get it moved to a Chinese carbon frame (assuming he wants to keep it as a carbon bike)?

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,800 of 4,419
well my bike plans took a beating since i picked up a turntable instead last weekend.

Perhaps around summer time i will pick up a carbon Bike. Really loved the Cannondale Synapse carbon 6 when i tried it.

So going to just dust off the crap off my MTB that i have city communiting tires on (and yes, i do have fenders for that! :) ).

And as nice as portland is for biking, i am starting to really despise the weather after nearly 6 years of living here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back