BI wiring/Bi amping or single cables
Mar 13, 2002 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rz007

New Head-Fier
i have a pair of ruark prologue one R frount speakers is it better to bi wire/ bi amp or use a pair of very high quality single speaker cable like van denhul (the magnums)

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Biamping would probably be the best since you relieve the amp from driving the tweeter, and have a dedicated amp driving the tweeter (biamping != biwiring).

A lot of people don' t think biwiring is worth it, I've never tried personally... though a lot do think it is worth it.

Mar 13, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 10
The benefits of bi-wiring have been extremely variable when I have tried it. It depends a lot on both the speakers and amp. Currently, I do run a set of Wharfedale anniversary models biwired off a pair of ASL Waves. In this case the bass is more extended and more taut compared to a single wire run. All my other systems use single runs because I could not notice any benefit (and in the LR system a negative effect) of double runs.

For bi-amping you would need twice the number of channels of amplification (4 vs. 2) and you would need an active crossover between the amps and speakers to do true bi-amping. The benefit comes from being able to match amps and interconnects seperately for the tweeters and woofers and also from only amplifying the requisite frequency range for each speaker. This increases the cost significantly but can result in some very good sound. However, it can also result in some reall bad sound if you set it up wrong.

Mar 14, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

morphsci: For bi-amping... you would need an active crossover between the amps and speakers... The benefit comes from being able to match amps and interconnects seperately for the tweeters and woofers and also from only amplifying the requisite frequency range for each speaker. This increases the cost significantly but can result in some very good sound. However, it can also result in some reall bad sound if you set it up wrong.

rz007,

it would be wise of you to follow up on morphsci's points... passively biamping has been a waste of time and money in my system, however keep in mind that some people seem to love it. i've never tried actively biamping. there used to be a great article on bryston's web page on the subject, but i can't seem to find it... you may want to give it a shot at http://www.bryston.ca/

Quote:

rs007: just wondering when bi amping/bi wiring does the cross over in the speakers get use?

when passively biamping then yes, you're using the speaker's (passive, get it?) crossover. when actively biamping you're using an active (grin) crossover and bypassing/removing the existing xo in the speaks.

biwiring uses the xo in your ruarks. as morphsci it, as all things audio, is beneficial only if you like it in your system.

best of luck,
carlo.

Mar 14, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 10
When auditioning the speakers that I now own, I noticed no improvement from biwiring alone, that seems like a money grubbing gimmick to me.

Biamping however made noticeable improvement, especially in tightening up the bass. It also removed excess sibilance, and did wonders for midrange accuracy, it basically cleans up the signal. I've no idea where to get an active crossover, or which ones are any good, but if I could afford to do it, I'd go buy four tubed monoblocks right away.

I too would like to know more on biamping.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 10
My Paradigm Studios are currently bi-wired to my receiver. In my haste to set them up, I forgot to remove the jumper bars. When I finally did, I noticed a small but significant improvement in the clarity of the highs and mids.

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 10
I've read that the "ideal" way to bi-amp for some is tube monoblocks up top and solid state monoblocks for the bass

Mar 16, 2002 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dlow
I forgot to remove the jumper bars.

OMG
eek.gif
Are your amps still ok?

Doing things like that can seriously damage them.

Sound as ever

Mar 16, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank goodness I was too poor to bi-amp these babies.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

Since it was just bi-wiring, I was in essence running a single low guage wire to the speakers.

That will teach me not to read the manuals
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back