Bi-wire question.
Feb 15, 2006 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
G'day i just got some speakers that require bi-wiring. However i also just got some QED silver anniversary cable and i don't want to waste it. Can i put the speaker wire into the bottom bass drivers and then put a 2cm jumper into the tweeter connections. Would this short circuit the speakers or amp in any way? Or is there a better way? (apart from buying new speaker wire)

Cheers

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Not 100% sure but I think you would hook up the single run of speaker cable to a matching high and low frequency on the speaker and use jumpers to connect the other set of high/low frequency posts on the speaker.

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
Not 100% sure but I think you would hook up the single run of speaker cable to a matching high and low frequency on the speaker and use jumpers to connect the other set of high/low frequency posts on the speaker.

eek.gif
eek.gif

Don't do that.
Connect the speaker cables to the high frequency terminals. Use each jumper to connect to the low frequency terminal of the same polarity (+ or -).

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Well I must have misunderstood but with my speakers I have wired them with single runs to the lower set of posts (plus and minus) and then the jumper runs between each of these and the upper set of posts.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the replys. I've just brought some QED silver anniversary bi-wire cable. Who needs money anyway...........

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
Thanks for the replys. I've just brought some QED silver anniversary bi-wire cable. Who needs money anyway...........

You can biwire using the regular cable by simply attaching two runs to the same binding post on the amp. One run goes to the high frequency connectors on the speaker, and the other run goes to the low frequency input.

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
This comment would have been more useful before you bought the second cable, but anyway...

You could use something big and inexpensive for the woofer; 12 ga or larger, and the silver for the mid/tweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back