Beyond the Curve - An Audiophile YouTube Series
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #91 of 106
So Jermo said, that around 30 years ago simulations took multiple weeks. I have multiple questions regarding this, please feel free to ignore the ones which cannot be answered.

Do you have an estimate how long current simulations take and on what type of computers they are run on ?
Is the software used off the shelf or written by people in Sennheiser ? Does it take advantage of multiple CPUs/cores/GPUs ?
Is the simulation time a bottleneck still ?

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #93 of 106
Our latest episode is live, and we're talking Transducers. We take a deeper dive on our philosophy, from dynamic to electrostatic, and even some other fun trivia about our history of making electroacoustics. Need to get caught up? Check out all 4 episodes in the OP.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #94 of 106
So Jermo said, that around 30 years ago simulations took multiple weeks. I have multiple questions regarding this, please feel free to ignore the ones which cannot be answered.

Do you have an estimate how long current simulations take and on what type of computers they are run on ?
Is the software used off the shelf or written by people in Sennheiser ? Does it take advantage of multiple CPUs/cores/GPUs ?
Is the simulation time a bottleneck still ?

Thanks.
I’d guess most of that is proprietary.. Its a very competitive industry..

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #96 of 106
Awesome episode Sennheiser!

Really appreciate the series! Been waiting on this one for ages :D

1702762198586.gif

I will make sure to give money to your company .... for the rest of my life. Thank You

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #97 of 106
Awesome episode Sennheiser!

Really appreciate the series! Been waiting on this one for ages :D

1702762198586.gif

I will make sure to give money to your company .... for the rest of my life. Thank You
💙💙🎧💙💙🎧💙💙

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #98 of 106
No 4 a very good episode, too! Thank you!
How about making an episode about "soundstage" and what it really is? What elements of sound or design can offer a better space perception with headphones?

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #100 of 106
I found it interesting that the question of what produces "slam" or "punch" was raised, yet Jermo didn't have a solid answer for it. He mentioned a number of metrics that seem correlated or might have an effect, but no concrete, definitive answer of "slam comes from metric X or Y". It seems even the experts aren't quite sure of how to measure it, or they aren't sharing the secrets. My experience with dynamic EQ leads me to one theory, and that aligns with what Dan Clark has mentioned about slam, but it still seems to be not well-understood in the industry.

The effect of diaphragm material on the sound that Mika mentioned is something that I also heard from Resolve where despite two drivers made with different materials measuring the same, they were audibly different and not in a tiny, subtle way. Very curious.

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #101 of 106
I agree the 'slam' question is a slippery one. Like you, no doubt, I've read and heard many things about what's required to achieve it. But I'm not convinced everyone's talking about the same thing - in fact, not even remotely the same thing. In some cases, my impression is that low frequency extension is the issue. In other cases, it seems to be mid-bass presence and warmth. In others, it seems to be an articulate low frequency character, which achieves greater separation and delineation - often with an emphasis on dynamic shading - not unlike the balance often sought for mids and highs. For those interested in audio/visual, it seems often to a be particular issue <30Hz. For those who listen to pop/rock, perhaps 30-40Hz. For those who listen to acoustic instruments, perhaps 40-50Hz. Some phones which seem completely sludgy to me are said to have it; while some which seem to me to descend into the abyss apparently don't! Maybe the absence of a definitive answer is understandable ...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #102 of 106
I agree the 'slam' question is a slippery one. Like you, no doubt, I've read and heard many ideas about what's required to achieve it. But I'm not convinced everyone's talking about the same thing - in fact, not even remotely the same thing. In some cases, my impression is that low frequency extension is the issue. In other cases, it seems to be mid-bass presence and warmth. In others, it seems to be an articulate low frequency character, which achieves greater separation and delineation - often with an emphasis on dynamic shading - not unlike the balance often sought for mids and highs. For those interested in audio/visual, it seems to a particular issue <30Hz. For those who listen to pop/rock, perhaps 30-40Hz. For those who listen to acoustic instruments, perhaps 40-50Hz. Some phones which seem completely sludgy to me are said to have it; while some which seem to me to descend into the abyss apparently don't! A term, perhaps, that rivals 'natural' for controversy ...
It took me a while, years actually, after I got into headphones before I understood what exactly I feel when it comes to slam. For me, the most direct instance of slam is the "chest punch" that people feel with speakers playing a sudden loud note. When the bass note hits on a nice pair of speakers, there's this sudden physical feeling of pressure in the sternum, probably from some chest cavity resonance being excited. Headphones obviously can't have chest punch, so the closest thing they can produce is what I call "throat punch" where it's the same sort of feeling as chest punch but localized to the upper throat and nasal passages instead of the chest. It's the same sudden physical feeling of pressure or tightness in the throat and sometimes the eye sockets when notes (usually bass notes) hit.

The physiological phenomenon I've seen that's closest to what I hear is tympanic response, the response of muscles in the ear to sudden increases in loudness. It's part of the auditory flinch response, like the flinch I feel when a trumpeter plays a note at full blast. Since tympanic response is pretty slow, it makes the biggest effect in bass notes since the period of those frequencies is longer. On mids and treble, that 'slam' effect is more like this sort of "liveliness" in the sound. It sounds weird to say, but I would say that I technically don't hear slam, I feel slam. I don't try to hear if a headphone slams, I ask myself "do I feel the hit of bass notes in my throat?" If slam is related to tympanic response, then it makes sense that different people will perceive it differently, because people have different flinch tolerances.

My theory is that slam is related to the magnitude of the crest factor produced by the headphone during transients. It's not just about "static" magnitude in the bass as seen in the FR graph, but about behavior during transients. The more a headphone overshoots the intended crest in the signal, the stronger the "slam" in that particular set of frequencies. You can recreate this using dynamic EQ; use an expanding filter and set the filter to use auto-thresholding. That will make the DEQ plugin (e.g. FabFilter ProQ 3) look for transients in the filter's frequency range and dynamically increase the boost when a transient occurs. This causes the transient to "overshoot" its intended level and effectively increases the crest factor of the transient in those frequencies (and overall). This produces slam. In fact, it's possible to make a headphone less bassy and yet more slammy at the same time by cutting the bass via parametric EQ then adding an expanding dynamic EQ filter on top.

I don't think that slam directly lies in the frequency response, though some aspects of the FR will affect slam. Since dynamic EQ is a nonlinear EQ process (unlike standard parametric or graphic EQs), I strongly suspect that the actual metric behind slam is also not linear, in the realm of distortion rather than frequency magnitude response. But what kind of distortion it is, and how to capture it, is something that I don't have enough know-how to answer. Dan Clark has made some comments on this matter and overshoot, but he has no incentive as a manufacturer to spill the beans on the whole story.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #103 of 106
It took me a while, years actually, after I got into headphones before I understood what exactly I feel when it comes to slam. For me, the most direct instance of slam is the "chest punch" that people feel with speakers playing a sudden loud note. When the bass note hits on a nice pair of speakers, there's this sudden physical feeling of pressure in the sternum, probably from some chest cavity resonance being excited. Headphones obviously can't have chest punch, so the closest thing they can produce is what I call "throat punch" where it's the same sort of feeling as chest punch but localized to the upper throat and nasal passages instead of the chest. It's the same sudden physical feeling of pressure or tightness in the throat and sometimes the eye sockets when notes (usually bass notes) hit.

The physiological phenomenon I've seen that's closest to what I hear is tympanic response, the response of muscles in the ear to sudden increases in loudness. It's part of the auditory flinch response, like the flinch I feel when a trumpeter plays a note at full blast. Since tympanic response is pretty slow, it makes the biggest effect in bass notes since the period of those frequencies is longer. On mids and treble, that 'slam' effect is more like this sort of "liveliness" in the sound. It sounds weird to say, but I would say that I technically don't hear slam, I feel slam. I don't try to hear if a headphone slams, I ask myself "do I feel the hit of bass notes in my throat?" If slam is related to tympanic response, then it makes sense that different people will perceive it differently, because people have different flinch tolerances.

My theory is that slam is related to the magnitude of the crest factor produced by the headphone during transients. It's not just about "static" magnitude in the bass as seen in the FR graph, but about behavior during transients. The more a headphone overshoots the intended crest in the signal, the stronger the "slam" in that particular set of frequencies. You can recreate this using dynamic EQ; use an expanding filter and set the filter to use auto-thresholding. That will make the DEQ plugin (e.g. FabFilter ProQ 3) look for transients in the filter's frequency range and dynamically increase the boost when a transient occurs. This causes the transient to "overshoot" its intended level and effectively increases the crest factor of the transient in those frequencies (and overall). This produces slam. In fact, it's possible to make a headphone less bassy and yet more slammy at the same time by cutting the bass via parametric EQ then adding an expanding dynamic EQ filter on top.

I don't think that slam directly lies in the frequency response, though some aspects of the FR will affect slam. Since dynamic EQ is a nonlinear EQ process (unlike standard parametric or graphic EQs), I strongly suspect that the actual metric behind slam is also not linear, in the realm of distortion rather than frequency magnitude response. But what kind of distortion it is, and how to capture it, is something that I don't have enough know-how to answer. Dan Clark has made some comments on this matter and overshoot, but he has no incentive as a manufacturer to spill the beans on the whole story.
There's a lot in this to take in! I'll hunt up Dan Clark's comments too. My thought about this was just that 'slam' and 'punch' seem to mean quite different things to different people. So, I can understand manufacturers being a little wary in talking about it. Speaking for myself, I'm inclined to think my preference for dynamic phones like the HD800S has something to do with my feeling that they're good at presenting gradations of dynamic intensity across the frequency spectrum - slam? - punch? - which I think is important for reproducing the timbre of acoustic instruments.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #105 of 106

The sound quality on this stream is worse than the customer support on an HE1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back