Beyond HD650, whats next?
May 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Rickii

New Head-Fier
Soon time to upgrade from the HD650's.
Had them since 2007, used them every day from 1 hours to 24 hours straight gaming/music/tvseries sessions.
They have seen their share deal of wear, so im getting abit tierd of the sound of them.

What would be a good upgrade?
500-600$ budget.

Importance: comfy, i use my headphones ALOT so comfort is important to me, they cant hurt my ears after hours and hours of use.
Clean sound, i listen to everything from instrumentals like piano songs to hiphop.
I dont care about bass at all, just want clean-sounding headphones.

What would be a great next-step for me?

Some of the music i listen to, if that helps you awesome people!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb3Vchh6jU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx8WcxTEN8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1zuIYNoFw

And a great deal of Mumford & sons, my favorite band.

Sebastian

May 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
Soon time to upgrade from the HD650's.
Had them since 2007

You've only had them for six years :)

They are barely burned in (if you are a burn in believer).

Why not just stick with them and enjoy the music?

If you buy replacements the novelty will have worn off after about a month and then your music enjoyment will be back to what it was before the "upgrade".

So if you think about it, given that you have an excellent pair of headphones, "upgrading" to something supposedly better will in fact produce about 1 month's worth of entertainment. It will be an expensive month.

May 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

You've only had them for six years :)

They are barely burned in (if you are a burn in believer).

Why not just stick with them and enjoy the music?

If you buy replacements the novelty will have worn off after about a month and then your music enjoyment will be back to what it was before the "upgrade".

So if you think about it, given that you have an excellent pair of headphones, "upgrading" to something supposedly better will in fact produce about 1 month's worth of entertainment. It will be an expensive month.

Can i find spare parts? the 2 black plastic pieces that hold the fabric that my head rest against have gone missing.

May 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
Can i find spare parts? the 2 black plastic pieces that hold the fabric that my head rest against have gone missing.

I don't know :)

My post was mostly in jest. If you wish to buy another pair of headphones then do go ahead.

I haven't a clue what would suit you personally. But others will have ideas.

May 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 27
In your price range, you're probably looking at a used HE-500 or HE-5LE as an "upgrade" from the HD650. While in many respects the Hifimans are technically superior, there are aspects of the HD650 sound that are more enjoyable, so it may be more of a taste-testing than actual upgrade.

I will say, the HE-5LE is one of the lightest Hifiman headphones, and I found it to be very comfortable.

You might consider, as has been mentioned, sticking with the HD650. And, I would add, look into upgrading your amp. What amp are you currently using?

May 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
In your price range, you're probably looking at a used HE-500 or HE-5LE as an "upgrade" from the HD650. While in many respects the Hifimans are technically superior, there are aspects of the HD650 sound that are more enjoyable, so it may be more of a taste-testing than actual upgrade.

I will say, the HE-5LE is one of the lightest Hifiman headphones, and I found it to be very comfortable.

You might consider, as has been mentioned, sticking with the HD650. And, I would add, look into upgrading your amp. What amp are you currently using?

No. http://www.head-fi.org/t/656160/review-hifiman-he-500-vs-sennheiser-hd600

In the OP's case, I'd recommend the HD600 as a side-grade for the cleaner sound you're looking for.

I bloody love Mumford and Sons. I listen to Sigh No More every 2 weeks or so. The HE-500 will not give you the live feel of a performance that the HD6xx will, trust me.

May 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 27
upgrade the dac...or add a tube amp...or get a pair of silver cables...or a UE9000 :)

May 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

No. http://www.head-fi.org/t/656160/review-hifiman-he-500-vs-sennheiser-hd600

In the OP's case, I'd recommend the HD600 as a side-grade for the cleaner sound you're looking for.

I bloody love Mumford and Sons. I listen to Sigh No More every 2 weeks or so. The HE-500 will not give you the live feel of a performance that the HD6xx will, trust me.

Hey now, no need to refute my entire contribution with one word.

I've read your review, and I understand where you're coming from. But the OP was asking for an "upgrade", and I pointed him toward an "upgrade". Note that I use the word cautiously, hence the quotes. In many technical respects, the Hifimans are an "upgrade". They especially emit a wonderfully clean sound, which the OP indicated he wanted. So I gave him what he wanted.

If he goes with an HD600 instead of a Hifiman, he can expect a very similar sound to his HD650. If he wants to experience a more radical shift from the HD650, the Hifimans are a good option in his price range. Many people prefer the Hifimans over the Sennheisers, so it's not our place to assume he would or wouldn't fall into this same camp. It's worth his time to look into them.

May 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
Hey now, no need to refute my entire contribution with one word.

I've read your review, and I understand where you're coming from. But the OP was asking for an "upgrade", and I pointed him toward an "upgrade". Note that I use the word cautiously, hence the quotes. In many technical respects, the Hifimans are an "upgrade". They especially emit a wonderfully clean sound, which the OP indicated he wanted. So I gave him what he wanted.

If he goes with an HD600 instead of a Hifiman, he can expect a very similar sound to his HD650. If he wants to experience a more radical shift from the HD650, the Hifimans are a good option in his price range. Many people prefer the Hifimans over the Sennheisers, so it's not our place to assume he would or wouldn't fall into this same camp. It's worth his time to look into them.

I disagree with this. IMO, they're different at best. The HD600's presentation is different enough from the 650's presentation to warrant having both. I'll let Tyll explain.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3

The HD 650 is rather more problematic to me. While the sound remains very similar to the HD 600 and does seem a tad more refined, it also seems a bit warmer, lusher, and thicker...more "veiled" if you like. Yes, in this case it does seem to warrant the discriptor. Just a bit too much of good thing. I still think it's a great headphone and have no problem recommending it, but with a $100 lower price, and a more neutral and snappier sound, I think the HD 600 is the better buy.

He'll get better clarity and tighter bass, while maintaining a spectacular midrange that is more competent that that of the HE-500.

-Sorry, don't mean to come off as abrasive. Sometimes my speaking style doesn't come off as accurately when transposed to text.

May 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 27
hd600, n hd650.....are two iconic headphones all true headfi worshippers must put on, sometime in their path.....peace.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 27
For about 5 years the only headphones I owned were the HD650's.  I finally decided to try and "upgrade", and after going back and forth on HE-500's, HD800's, and many others...I bought a pair of HD600's.

I'm satisfied.

May 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 27
Sell your HD650 + your $500 budget and you're 70% to a used HD800

Or you can upgrade some of the components upstream, what are you currently running them through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back