Beyerdynamic's DT150 vs. DT770 vs. DT770M: I'm looking for noise isolating cans
May 19, 2015 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sardonicus

New Head-Fier
Hey fellers,

Summer is rough and I am currently forced to do my quality home listening with an incredibly loud AC unit right in my face. So I am looking for good noise isolating headphones. So far I have my eyes mainly on Beyer's DT150, DT770 or DT770M, but I am open to other suggestion in that price range. I will be using proper tube amplification for the headphones.

I understand the DT770M should be significantly more isolating than the DT150, for example? Does this come with any serious disadvantages at all? I saw favourable reviews for the DT150, and already owning DT770's open-back sibling (DT990), and honestly not being too thrilled about its shrill, I kind of want to get the DT150. But if the DT770M's isolation is way supreme then that's a big deal. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks a lot!

May 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 14
  Hey fellers,

Summer is rough and I am currently forced to do my quality home listening with an incredibly loud AC unit right in my face. So I am looking for good noise isolating headphones. So far I have my eyes mainly on Beyer's DT150, DT770 or DT770M, but I am open to other suggestion in that price range. I will be using proper tube amplification for the headphones.

I understand the DT770M should be significantly more isolating than the DT150, for example? Does this come with any serious disadvantages at all? I saw favourable reviews for the DT150, and already owning DT770's open-back sibling (DT990), and honestly not being too thrilled about its shrill, I kind of want to get the DT150. But if the DT770M's isolation is way supreme then that's a big deal. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks a lot!

i have the DT 770 80hm headphones and the isolation is very good i would imagine the M version is the same

May 19, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 14
i have the DT 770 80hm headphones and the isolation is very good i would imagine the M version is the same
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I hear the 770 is quite isolating, and the 770M version prides itself with even better sound isolation, achieved by having some holes sealed up and different pad material, I think.

I was wondering how they compare to the DT150.

May 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I hear the 770 is quite isolating, and the 770M version prides itself with even better sound isolation, achieved by having some holes sealed up and different pad material, I think.

I was wondering how they compare to the DT150.

from the quick look i had at 770M i saw it has leather pads rather than the fabric ones the regular 770 has so yeah i would imagine thats a little better for isolation i dont know about the sealed up holes

i've never used the DT150 but they are closed headphones and taking at the look the beyer site they claim to have excellent isolation from ambient noise
honestly i think you'll be good to go with any of them

May 21, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 14
  from the quick look i had at 770M i saw it has leather pads rather than the fabric ones the regular 770 has so yeah i would imagine thats a little better for isolation i dont know about the sealed up holes

i've never used the DT150 but they are closed headphones and taking at the look the beyer site they claim to have excellent isolation from ambient noise
honestly i think you'll be good to go with any of them

Thanks! I think I might grab the DT150 tomorrow. They say they are awfully uncomfortable, but people dig their sound, and I already have the 990 so I figure I'll diversify with the 150...

I really hope I'll be able to try em out at the store. Thing is I already have a closed back pair, the AKG K272 HD, and I'm counting on the DT150 having better isolation, which I'm basing on nothing, really. Maybe they're about as good at isolating, and then I'm just wasting what little money I have on cans I don't really need.

Anyone know if I should expect a big improvement in noise isolation with the Beyer DT150 compared to the AKG K272?

Thanks

May 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 14

Thanks! I think I might grab the DT150 tomorrow. They say they are awfully uncomfortable, but people dig their sound, and I already have the 990 so I figure I'll diversify with the 150...

I really hope I'll be able to try em out at the store. Thing is I already have a closed back pair, the AKG K272 HD, and I'm counting on the DT150 having better isolation, which I'm basing on nothing, really. Maybe they're about as good at isolating, and then I'm just wasting what little money I have on cans I don't really need.

Anyone know if I should expect a big improvement in noise isolation with the Beyer DT150 compared to the AKG K272?

Thanks

if you can test them out at the store i would take your AKG's with you then you can directly compare if not then i have no idea

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Thought I would throw my .02 in. I just picked up a pair of DT770Ms and can say that they are a very mid centric phone with unbelievable isolation. I mean they really close everything out. I have read where folks say the mids are sucked out on these. Huh? Just the opposite in my experience. Very mid forward. These are mid detail monsters. Vocals are especially great. I would say their sound signature is closer to the T70 than the DT770 Pro. Not being quite as refined as the T70 mids but much better mids than the DT770 Pro at the cost of bass quantity...but who cares. I always thought the DT770 Pros were slightly bass heavy to begin with. I would assume plugging the ports on the Pros would essentially get you the Ms and vice versa. As well as earpad and inner foam swaps. I have heard the Pros and currently own the T70 to A/B. The DT770M share more commonalities with the T70 for sure. With the T70 being slightly more detailed. I'm telling you though, the DT770Ms sound good with tubes. For midrange lovers, these are the cans to go with as far as DT770 versions. And they are certainly very tight and can play ridiculously loud and undistorted. I sure would like to recable these to omit the volume control though. I'm certain that would improve clarity further.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 14
  Thought I would throw my .02 in. I just picked up a pair of DT770Ms and can say that they are a very mid centric phone with unbelievable isolation. I mean they really close everything out. I have read where folks say the mids are sucked out on these. Huh? Just the opposite in my experience. These are mid detail monsters. Vocals are especially great. I would say their sound signature is closer to the T70 than the DT770 Pro. Not being quite as refined as the T70 mids but much better mids than the DT770 Pro at the cost of bass quantity...but who cares. I always thought the DT770 Pros were slightly bass heavy to begin with. I would assume plugging the ports on the Pros would essentially get you the Ms and vice versa. I have heard the Pros and currently own the T70 to A/B. The DT770M share more commonalities with the T70 for sure. With the T70 being slightly more detailed. I'm telling you though, the DT770Ms sound good with tubes. For midrange lovers, these are the cans to go with as far as DT770 versions. And they are certainly very tight and can play ridiculously loud and undistorted. I sure would like to recable these to omit the volume control though. I'm certain that would improve clarity further.

Thanks! Sounds like the DT770Ms sound good! So how do you like their noise isolation? Does it really beat all other cans? Also, are they comfortable? And are their sibilants as brain-stabbingly painful as the DT990s's?

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 14

Thanks! Sounds like the DT770Ms sound good! So how do you like their noise isolation? Does it really beat all other cans? Also, are they comfortable? And are their sibilants as brain-stabbingly painful as the DT990s's?

It is really good at isolating. The best I've ever had. Does it sound good? That is subjective. For critical listening for sure. As far as forgiving of poor recordings as the 770 Pro- NO WAY! These are brutally honest like AKG closed cans. Bad recordings sound REALLY bad.These are not as bright as DT990s. Although I have vintage DT990 600 ohm which are the least bright. And the 770m are not as bright as those nor does it have the lower bass energy of the DT990. It is minimalist but reaches where it needs to down low without exaggeration. But the midrange is much more forward on the 770Ms than the DT990. But again, I find the mids pretty lean on the DT990 32ohm version. The vintage 600 ohm version is better in the mids but still not like the 770Ms. Like I said these are closer to the balance of the T70. At least this pair. And it feels like it has relatively thick innner foams and the Beyer leather pads. I can see why it is used to monitor in studios. And I can also see where they might not be everyone's first choice for listening pleasure. More of a tool really. But I really like em because I don't have many with the mid centric signature so they are a nice rounder in my collection.. Hope that helps..

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 14

It is really good at isolating. The best I've ever had. Does it sound good? That is subjective. For critical listening for sure. As far as forgiving of poor recordings as the 770 Pro- NO WAY! These are brutally honest like AKG closed cans. These are not as bright as DT990s. Although I have vintage DT990 600 ohm which are the least bright. And the 770m are not as bright as those nor does it have the lower bass energy of the DT990. It is minimalist but reaches where it needs to down low without exaggeration. But the midrange is much more forward on the 770Ms than the DT990. But again, I find the mids pretty lean on the DT990 32ohm version. The vintage 600 ohm version is better in the mids but still not like the 770Ms. Like I said these are closer to the balance of the T70. At least this pair. And it feels like it has relatively thick innner foams and the Beyer leather pads. I can see why it is used to monitor in studios. And I can also see where they might not be everyone's first choice for listening pleasure. More of a tool really. But I really like em because I don't have many with the mid centric signature so they are a nice rounder in my collection.. Hope that helps..

Sure does! Thank you! It sounds like a pair I wouldn't mind owning myself. But about the comfort, are you able to enjoy them for hours at a time with no pain?

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 14

Sure does! Thank you! It sounds like a pair I wouldn't mind owning myself. But about the comfort, are you able to enjoy them for hours at a time with no pain?

They are like any other Beyer that shares the same frame. Typical Beyer comfort and lightweight. I can wear them for hours even with the goofy volume control. I don't notice it. I think the pleather pads are less comfortable than the velours but they isolate way better so I'm leaving them on. They are by no means at all uncomfortable. Honestly, uncomfortable and Beyer should never be in the same sentence with the newer models, excluding the DT150/100 et al of course. Plus the pleathers seem to cut the brightness that most Beyer users complain about. Velours, especially stiff ones, can bring out brightness. So those ear stabbing highs of the DT 990 are probably possible with these if you choose.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 14

They are like any other Beyer that shares the same frame. Typical Beyer comfort. I can wear them for hours. I think the pleather pads are less comfortable than the velours but they isolate way better so I'm leaving them on.

I only ever tried the DT990 "Premium", which apparently is less clamping than the Pro's, and it puts quite a bit of pressure on the top of my head. I wonder if the more clamping variety would take the load off (Fannie!!) of my scalp and put it on my ears instead; that would be preferable.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 14

I only ever tried the DT990 "Premium", which apparently is less clamping than the Pro's, and it puts quite a bit of pressure on the top of my head. I wonder if the more clamping variety would take the load off (Fannie!!) of my scalp and put it on my ears instead; that would be preferable.

These have more clamping force than the Premiums. But that is really easy to remedy by carefully stretching out the band. I figured everyone did that anyway. But yes, I do notice more clamp on the ears and less down pressure from the headband. You probably could float the headband with the clamping pressure on these. I have a small head by the way and that was one of the chief reasons I gravitated towards Beyerdynamic. Hope that helps.

...also want to say that I am listening to these right now through a Music Hall PH25.2 and some recordings are sounding really good. These are sounding better and better..of course with use. Again, very similar to the T70. I have no idea the last time these were played but I've logged 4 hours on them, 2 this morning so far and I don't want to take them off for a rest so that is positive. And they don't seem to get hot and sweaty like the DT150 or DT480. One thing I notice is these sound very good when played loud. Really good! They are quick. You can really follow the kick drum and bass guitar. PRAT baby! These aren't going anywhere.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Another follow up. The DT770M have the best midrange of any of my cans. DT-48 owners will like these alot. The detail in the midband is very good. Better than the DT480 I have, which is excellent but still different- those metal drivers have such a unique sound. And overall, it is a draw with the T70 mids with perhaps the T70 being a little harsher honestly but more forwardly bright if that makes sense. The T70 are warmer than the DT990 though, which has limited midrange expression to say the least.. but I like those a lot too. The 770M aren't for everyone but if you like critical listening and picking out the layering of instruments and sounds...these are for you. Quite honestly again, these sound nothing like the DT770 Pro. They do not have the bass bleeding over into the mids thereby rendering the midband info in the 770M much more intelligable. The 770M will not please the basshead. But I really dig 'em. I think I must've gotten a really good sounding pair or something. Also, consider the T70 for mixing. They are closed as well and quite neutral. With different pads I don't see why they wouldn't isolate as well as the DT770M. I do want to correct myself from an earlier post. My DT480 do close out sound a little better than the DT770M but they are quite heavy little mid monsters and horribly inefficient. :^) I don't think I've really heard what those are capable of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back