Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro or Sennheisser HD 598
Aug 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

goblin

New Head-Fier
 I am going to upgrade my headphones from Senn HD 280 pros.
 I listen to just about all music types, except rap and most new country music.
 I enjoy rock but am not a rockoholic.

I would rather the phones excel at acoustical instruments than electric if given and either our choice. Heavy bass is not my target, but accurate bass tones are .
 I live 2 hrs from any shop where I could listen to these two HP, so will base my deccision on others experences with both.

The headphones will be used on a PC, I have no portable devices.

I do have a Nuforce Icon Udac 2 connected to my PC.

I could, if needed, purchase a amp if the Beyers need one, so not having ample amplification  is not a problem.
 I have lurked around here, as well as other sites, for a month narrowing my choices down.
 The DT 990 pro's and HD 598's sound like what I would enjoy ( for the cost )
 Thanks

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Heya,

I think for your money and current equipment situation the HD598 would be the headphone to nab. I think the mids and highs od the HD598 will win your ears over the DT990's bass and its lesser representation of the mids.

Very best,

Thanks, your anylisis is what I was looking for. Mids and highs are a priority.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 6
I disagree, I think the Beyerdynamic is the better bet. It is a 'better' driver technically, in fact it is the same as the one used in the DT990 Premium, which competes with the HD650. In my experience, the Beyerdynamic is just more refined across the line, with the only downside being that their hot treble can get fatiguing after a while. You can fix all of this with an EQ though, and even make the DT990 sound like a more refined HD598 if you so desire (just use the frequency response comparisons over at headphone.com). The Sennheiser HD598 certainly is a great can, I just don't think it can realistically compete with the more advanced and refined Beyer. The Senn is more musical but this is achieved by poorer performance (even if just by a tiny bit). Also, to my head and ears, the Beyerdynamic is just FAR more comfortable, I was experiencing ear pain after using the Sennheisers for more than 30 minutes.

The 250 ohm Beyers arent really as amp-dependant as most people will have you believe, it should work fine even out of a badly designed DAC like the Nuforce that you have. If not, an E7 drives it beautifully and even the super-cheap Behringer DAC will work fine with it.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 6
 Funny, I'm in this exact same situation. JUST got a Fiio E7/E9 combo, and I was wondering between the two. But I think for me the beyers sound like the better bet (and they're cheaper in Canada). My music preferences sound a fair bit like yours, so if you wait a day or two I might be able to give you some thoughts on the beyers :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
I completely disagre,as to why you have to equalized just to sound like the sennheiser.Just buy the sennheiser and you don't have to do anything.I have the beyerdynamics dt 990 pro and its good for instrumental not for vocals.I listen to music as it is intended for.accurate,bass.mids, highs where they are suppose to be tight accurate bass and beyerdynamics dt 990 pro doesn't have it but don't get me wrong the dt 990 pro are good set of cans if you are a newbie.My set of cans are sennheiser hd 650, ultrasone edition 8,audio technica ath-ad900,m50,akg k702.If i want bass i go with my close back.Piercing highs,scooped mids and good low end on my beyerdynamics dt 990 pro just not on the level of my other cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back