BeyerDynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Headphones. What is the best AMP/DAC to compliment these headphones?
Jul 20, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #31 of 45
Personally, I'd look in the forum classifieds for a Matrix M-Stage with a DAC option. Good luck.

Heya

Thanks for the reply, it's a tad above my budget which isn't a problem but with shipping it'd be too much.

I checked anyways and couldn't really find a retailer besides alibaba which is like 1 month shipping

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #32 of 45
The Dragonfly 1.2 is nice, but for a bit more money I'd much rather get the NuPrime uDSD which has more power and versatility.
A bunch of the FiiO family has already been mentioned.
Are you on a laptop or desktop? If desktop, you may consider an internal soundcard like the Asus STX which has a built in amplifier.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #33 of 45
  The Dragonfly 1.2 is nice, but for a bit more money I'd much rather get the NuPrime uDSD which has more power and versatility.
A bunch of the FiiO family has already been mentioned.
Are you on a laptop or desktop? If desktop, you may consider an internal soundcard like the Asus STX which has a built in amplifier.

Heya,

I'm on a desktop, After a lot ( Really a lot ) of digging I found that I can acquire a Schiit fulla. How does this compare to the Fiio e17K and or the Asus Xonar Essence STX you mentioned? 

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #35 of 45
The e17k has many features that you may not need. The e10k fits your requirements at a fraction of the cost, and very likely will cost less than the Fulla.

The STX will have far more power than anything else mentioned as it is not limited by usb.

Seriously, at this price point buy according to functionality and whatever you can get the best price on due to your region. All the products mentioned have stood up reasonably well over time and all review well.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #36 of 45

Yeah I figured that out, But they're out of Schiit stacks, ( for now ) 

The e17k has many features that you may not need. The e10k fits your requirements at a fraction of the cost, and very likely will cost less than the Fulla.

The STX will have far more power than anything else mentioned as it is not limited by usb.

Seriously, at this price point buy according to functionality and whatever you can get the best price on due to your region. All the products mentioned have stood up reasonably well over time and all review well.

Yeah I see, But I'd rather pay 50$ more now if it would improve my maybe next set of headphones. So I try to be the most future proof. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #37 of 45
Yeah I figured that out, But they're out of Schiit stacks, ( for now ) 

Yeah I see, But I'd rather pay 50$ more now if it would improve my maybe next set of headphones. So I try to be the most future proof. 

Then wait for a Modi/Magni stack, or find an Objective 2/ODAC. Perhaps here? http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/O2-ODAC-Limited-Edition-digital

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #38 of 45
Then wait for a Modi/Magni stack, or find an Objective 2/ODAC. Perhaps here? http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/O2-ODAC-Limited-Edition-digital

Okay so I'd be able to get the Stack or the O2 ODAC , For around 250 Eu. Now my question is, Wouldn't I be getting better audio quality if I were to buy other headphones and a cheaper amp/dac? Total budget is 400 EU 

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #39 of 45
Okay so I'd be able to get the Stack or the O2 ODAC , For around 250 Eu. Now my question is, Wouldn't I be getting better audio quality if I were to buy other headphones and a cheaper amp/dac? Total budget is 400 EU 

Most likely. Depends on the headphones. Some are more difficult to drive.

Have you considered open headphones? For instance, Phillips X2s are easy to drive and would do well with a FiiO E10K.

I like the NAD HP50s, but they are a bit darker (less treble emphasis) than DT770.

Do you have anywhere near you that you can listen to headphones?

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #40 of 45
Most likely. Depends on the headphones. Some are more difficult to drive.

Have you considered open headphones? For instance, Phillips X2s are easy to drive and would do well with a FiiO E10K.

I like the NAD HP50s, but they are a bit darker (less treble emphasis) than DT770.

Do you have anywhere near you that you can listen to headphones?

Hey,

Nope not to higher end ones. I'm considering the X2s with the FiiO E10K. Things get really complicated 
basshead.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #41 of 45
I have heard the X1, but not the X2, and it's a good headphone. The X2 is supposedly even better.

One thing you'll probably like is the bigger soundstage. However, if you have not owned open headphones before, realize that they don't isolate you from your environment and can leak a little sound. But definitely worth it for the bigger soundstage :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #42 of 45

Sorry to tell you, but you're already on headfi... there is no such thing as futureproofing here. Each purchase will simply fuel your desire to upgrade the next component. Seriously the only way to stop is to buy whatever works for you at a certain budget point, and STOP looking.

It's never gonna happen, but it must be said anyways just to cover all the bases.
rolleyes.gif

I stand by my original recommendation: buy whatever you can get for the best deal. Save up the money until the next upgrade for headphone and amp/dac simultaneously.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #43 of 45
Sorry to tell you, but you're already on headfi... there is no such thing as futureproofing here. Each purchase will simply fuel your desire to upgrade the next component. Seriously the only way to stop is to buy whatever works for you at a certain budget point, and STOP looking.

It's never gonna happen, but it must be said anyways just to cover all the bases. :rolleyes:

I stand by my original recommendation: buy whatever you can get for the best deal. Save up the money until the next upgrade for headphone and amp/dac simultaneously.

You're awfully right :joy:

Pulled the trigger on the x2's with the e10k guys :thumbsup_tone2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back